Deus Ex: Human Revolution Preorder Packs Revealed

GoGo_Boy

May 12, 2010
Haha pathetic.

So either you pre-order or you only get 90% of the game. Yeah, what a nice asshole deal.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
According to RPS [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/11/30/deus-ex-inhuman-revolution/], it seems that GameStop is getting pack 1.

And the exclusive mission comes with a "special cameo appearance of original Deus Ex character".

Needless to say, they are not amused. What a shame.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
GoGo_Boy said:
Haha pathetic.

So either you pre-order or you only get 90% of the game. Yeah, what a nice asshole deal.
and even if you pre-order, you are only going to get 95% unless you get two different copies with different packs.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Woodsey said:
Still not buying it - it's the same product, you just want to show it in it's best form. Companies doctor screenshots all the time.

At least here they'd be showing what it actually looks like for quite a few people.
Customers would be disappointed and return the product. People will complain, game gets bad publicity and the game ultimately doesn't sell well, so they just aim for what they think will be the largest demographic of users. You can usually tell the target audience of any advert from the people on the adverts or in this case, the console used

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
Wtf.

I'm at loss of words at this. Deus ex? Seriously? Deus Ex out of all games will have pre-order bonuses? I fear pay-for-weapons DLC will follow shortly.

This pre-order bonus fad should die, fast. Not that it matters to me directly, as those offers don't go through in the Netherlands anyway. But I don't like pre-ordering games.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
The Rockerfly said:
Woodsey said:
Still not buying it - it's the same product, you just want to show it in it's best form. Companies doctor screenshots all the time.

At least here they'd be showing what it actually looks like for quite a few people.
Customers would be disappointed and return the product. People will complain, game gets bad publicity and the game ultimately doesn't sell well, so they just aim for what they think will be the largest demographic of users. You can usually tell the target audience of any advert from the people on the adverts or in this case, the console used
Like I said, screenshots are doctored all the time. Ever seen the ones they do for the Assassin's Creed games, even on the back of the box?

As long as they state which platform they're showing footage from (which they do for all trailers, somewhere) then there's no issue.

GoGo_Boy said:
Haha pathetic.

It's two weapons (and in one case a small side-mission). The developers have put the game at 30-40 hours long.

You're not missing anything.

Waif

MM - It tastes like Candy Corn.
Mar 20, 2010
I hope the EB Games in my hometown will have the pre-order pack 2. I'm partial to sniper rifles you see ^~^!

donutsftw

Nov 10, 2009
Maybe it's just me, but does anyone else think the second pack is a bit of a let-down?

The double-barrel shotgun looks like it'd be less useful than pretty much any other gun in a fight with more than one enemy. The perfectly silenced sniper rifle looks much more useful, but what good is an "extreme range" rifle if all the levels are urban cityscapes with very few long fields of fire (just going by what I've seen in the trailers, at least)?

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Woodsey said:
Like I said, screenshots are doctored all the time. Ever seen the ones they do for the Assassin's Creed games, even on the back of the box?

As long as they state which platform they're showing footage from (which they do for all trailers, somewhere) then there's no issue.
PC gaming has different specs though, saves a lot more space on the box and it's just saves time, money and effort by showing a console screenshot

lvl9000_woot

Oct 30, 2009
poiumty said:
An EXTRA MISSION? What's next, "preorder and get the other half of the game"?
Stop it. Stop making parts of the game accessible only to people who bought the game twice. It's infuriating and only makes us want to pirate the extra content.
This.
GoGo_Boy said:
Haha pathetic.

And this.

EVERYBODY should be able to enjoy all parts of the game without preordering.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Woodsey said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Woodsey said:
Sacman said:
Woodsey said:
I'll never understand why gameplay trailers are done using consoles.

The first 5 seconds is of Jensen hitting thin air.

Anyway, can't wait for this! I'll pre-order it on Steam as soon as I can. Or, y'know, an hour before release once I've gotten a general impression from the reviews (I love how that's still considered pre-ordering).
I always figured they did it 1) because that's where they expect to sell the most copies or 2) because optimization for the top of the line PC specs may not be completely finished yet or 3) they're cheap and don't want to put money down on a good PC...<.<
The PCs they use to build the game will be needed to run it on maxed out settings, so why not use those?

I'd have thought they'd want to use the best looking version as well.
Because not everyone has a mexed out PC, so by showing a maxed out PC trailer, the game would look sub-par to those who buy the console version, or those who didn't spend hundreds on a PC rig. Customer Appeal man.

A game is more than graphics man. You can have the best looking and smoothest running game on your PC, but if the game itself isn't good, what's the point?

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Mr.Amakir said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Woodsey said:
Sacman said:
Woodsey said:

Anyway, can't wait for this! I'll pre-order it on Steam as soon as I can. Or, y'know, an hour before release once I've gotten a general impression from the reviews (I love how that's still considered pre-ordering).
I always figured they did it 1) because that's where they expect to sell the most copies or 2) because optimization for the top of the line PC specs may not be completely finished yet or 3) they're cheap and don't want to put money down on a good PC...<.<
The PCs they use to build the game will be needed to run it on maxed out settings, so why not use those?

Because not everyone has a mexed out PC, so by showing a maxed out PC trailer, the game would look sub-par to those who buy the console version, or those who didn't spend hundreds on a PC rig. Customer Appeal man.
You can get a really cheap PC that can max out most games today you know? It is not that expensive to be a PC gamer anymore, you rarely have to update you're rig and the games are generally cheaper.
That's actually not true. a maxed out PC can run you at least $2000 US. PC games may be cheaper but in the long run the PC will suck way more money out of you than any console will.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
Woodsey said:

it's just propaganda... they don't want us to use PC's for their games, they get more money by making us pay extra cash for DLC's and preordering, instead of the PC with Mods and Editors.

Mr.Amakir

Jun 2, 2010
AzrealMaximillion said:
Mr.Amakir said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Woodsey said:
Sacman said:
Woodsey said:

You can get a really cheap PC that can max out most games today you know? It is not that expensive to be a PC gamer anymore, you rarely have to update you're rig and the games are generally cheaper.
That's actually not true. a maxed out PC can run you at least $2000 US. PC games may be cheaper but in the long run the PC will suck way more money out of you than any console will.
If you are gong to run Metro 2033 then yes but you can run most AAA titles with a PC rig of around $600 US (if i converted Swedish Kronor to US Dollars correctly). My friend can even run Crysis at the highest settings on his old $400 US rig. And in the long run a PC will pay for itself because of the cheap games. And don´t forget about modding.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
Woodsey said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Woodsey said:
Sacman said:
Woodsey said:

A game is more than graphics man. You can have the best looking and smoothest running game on your PC, but if the game itself isn't good, what's the point?
THAT'S NOT THE POINT OF THIS DISCUSSION IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM.

If I wanted to show the best version of my game the person playing would be shown to be scoring headshots like a military sniper on crack, and the game would be made to look as shiny as possible (which they usually are).

Why? Because people are attracted to the prettier, more fluent looking product.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
That sniper rifle. It looks lovely.

As for this hubbub over pre-order bonuses, let's bear in mind that pre-ordering a game means that you bestow your faith unto the developers to do so great of a job that you won't even wait for the reviews to come up before you buy it. You're a guaranteed customer, and they want to reward that.

With something as simple as a couple of weapons, this makes sense to me. Now, if they close off a significant portion of a game to everyone except those who pre-order, that'd be quite the dickish maneuver most certainly worthy of scorn, but with simple gameplay bonuses like these, I think it's okay.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
AzrealMaximillion said:
Sure, and you can pay high six-figures for a hand-built Italian sports car. That doesn't have any bearing on any conversation involving "real" car buyers.

Apr 28, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
You don't need a top-of-the-line machine to make the game look good and have fun.

I built my PC 3 years ago for $450, and haven't had to upgrade anything. It runs most games on mid-high with 30-45 FPS(frames per second). The standard is 30 FPS and some games go up to 60 FPS. Point is, my 3 year old PC is still going strong.

This whole assumption that to be a PC gamer and/or you need to have a maxed out PC to have fun with PC games needs to die.

OT: Looks meh(the pre-order bonuses). Ah well, just as good. At least I know I'm not missing anything.