Tetris Dropping on PSN in Excessive 1080p

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Tetris Dropping on PSN in Excessive 1080p

PlayStation 3 owners, get ready to shove together the crispest Tetris blocks you've ever seen.

When Alexi Pajitnov created Tetris in the 1980s, I doubt he thought he'd ever get sick of it. Decades of remakes later, I'm sure even Pajitnov throws up a little after a dream full of Tetris blocks. Despite this, the game industry still isn't done with the classic puzzle franchise, with EA recently announcing details on what it's calling the best version of Tetris ever for the PlayStation Network.

Tetris on PSN will somewhat excessively play in 1080p and include support for Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound. It might be a game about blocks that fall, but EA is damn sure going to polish those blocks up like jewels and make you think you're actually in a room with them. I don't know what "P" Tetris was played in on the Game Boy, but it's going to look like crap to you now.

Announced for the game so far are six multiplayer modes in addition to standard single player, and even a co-op mode that can be played both online and locally. Co-op Tetris! If you like to demean your friends by dropping blocks, there will be the standard battle and team battle modes, with EA also teasing three PSN-exclusive multiplayer modes not yet revealed that it calls "more fun and competitive than anything you've seen before." Maybe we'll see a revival of Tetrisphere [http://www.amazon.com/Tetrisphere-Nintendo-64/dp/B000IAP25K]?

Speculation aside, EA's PSN version of Tetris does look very faithful to the original game, even in its music. This is good to see, because the music of Tetris is almost as integral as its blocks and secret spaceships. EA says Tetris will be out "early next year" on the PSN, but hasn't announced a price, so lets all bug the company and make them release it for $3.

shemoanscazrex3

Mar 24, 2010
Yeah the whole gaming world all needed blocks falling down and vanishing in 1920 x 1080 resolution with 5 channels of audio. So you can hear a block falling down with so much immersion it'll rock your socks off. The graphical detail of those L shaped blocks will look so real you'll think you're constructing the white house and blowing up some terrorist's organization

theComposer

Mar 29, 2009
Wow. Never did I think I would see a full trailer, complete with flashy transitions and bright, stylized text, for Tetris. Much less 1080p, 5.1 Surround Sound Tetris. If they charge more than a couple of bucks for this, regardless of the polish, it's just silly. I can play the same game with the same music and same modes on just about every device I can plug into my wall. Hell, I bet I can play it on my toaster!

EDIT:

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
[HEADING=1] WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TETRIS!!!!!!!!!!!![/HEADING]

CANT WAIT TO PLAY THIS WITH MY FRIENDS :D

Enagan

Nov 2, 2009
Damn... That's some fine looking tetris, but if it's priced for more than 2-3? I'm not getting it, for the same reason everyone in this thread has stated above myself

The Rookie Gamer

Mar 15, 2010
Scrumpmonkey said:
Kind of sums up the PS3 to me. "You may not need it! But we have it in 1080p!"
This.

Really, they're just plain blocks. What's 1080p supposed to do beside give graphics whores there fix?

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I would tell you what I thought of the video.. but I started it in 1080 res full screen and now my eyes are bleeding.

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
Okay, this is the most hardcore thing EVER! I've been lacking in true 1080p ps3 games, but this answers my prayers. This is the very definition of hardcore and I can't wait to get online and rain fiery blocky death upon my opponents! MUAH HAHAHAHAH!!!

tombman888

Jul 12, 2009
theComposer said:
Wow. Never did I think I would see a full trailer, complete with flashy transitions and bright, stylized text, for Tetris. Much less 1080p, 5.1 Surround Sound Tetris. If they charge more than a couple of bucks for this, regardless of the polish, it's just silly. I can play the same game with the same music and same modes on just about every device I can plug into my wall. Hell, I bet I can play it on my toaster!

EDIT:
You have *GOT* to be kidding me O_O... were you aware that video existed before you made your joke? or was it pure coincidence?

OT: I will honestly admit that Tetris has never been as appealing to me as it is now =D

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Man I really want to know the name of the Tetris Remix they made in the trailer.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
HD Tetris? I'm in, even though the Gameboy version will always be the sole owner of my puzzle gaming soul.

theComposer said:
EDIT:
Okay, now I want that more than I want the game.