BioWare Shuts Down Cerberus Network, Confirms New Mass Effect DLC

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
BioWare Shuts Down Cerberus Network, Confirms New Mass Effect DLC

The news updates currently streaming to Mass Effect 2's Cerberus Network will cease until the game's last DLC release, and right before Mass Effect 3 is unleashed.

buy DLC [http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-2-Pc/dp/B001VJ4DHK/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1294004135&sr=8-9]. It also provided news updates about happenings in the Mass Effect universe, but according to the latest those updates will cease in a few weeks.

The current Cerberus Network story says that daily postings will end on January 24, except for during three significant weeks. "A week of posts will precede a downloadable content release, and two more weeks will lead up to the release of Mass Effect 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-3-Mac/dp/B004FYKWZU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1294004135&sr=8-3]," it says.

This confirms that BioWare still has another DLC pack in the works for Mass Effect 2, but unfortunately there aren't any details available. BioWare has released all sorts of free and for-pay content through the Cerberus Network already, including characters like Zaeed and Kasumi, new Lair of the Shadow Broker [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98151-Mass-Effect-2-DLC-In-game-Items-Available-Tomorrow], the Network's most recent release.

Mass Effect 2 project director Casey Hudson first trailer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100807-DLC-Will-Bridge-Story-Between-Mass-Effect-2-and-3] revealed at the 2010 Spike TV VGAs. No time frame was given for the pre-pre-Mass Effect 3 DLC though, so it could be available in a few months, or not until closer to the end of 2011. We'll let you know.

Edit: For clarification purposes, BioWare is only shutting down the regular news updates it's been adding to the Cerberus Network, not the ability to enjoy Mass Effect 2's DLC.

Source: Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/even-more-add-on-content-planned-for-mass-effect-2-190653.phtml]

TrogzTheTroll

Aug 11, 2009
So, if I bought ME2 Yesterday, does that mean I can't redeem any free DLC with the Cerberus code I got?

EDIT: Or is it just the fake news feed being cut?

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
TrogzTheTroll said:
So, if I bought ME2 Yesterday, does that mean I can't redeem any free DLC with the Cerberus code I got?
You should be able to. I think this is just the news feed that's going down. I'm hoping this doesn't mean they're shutting down all the Cerberus DLC items, but you may have to get those off their social site in the future.

EDIT: Yeah, the Cerberus network stuff shows up under my redeemed game promotions on the social site, so I'm guessing it's just the fake news feed.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Hey, some of those news feeds were kind of funny, like the one about the krogan QB throwing a Super Bowl-winning touchdown pass. :D

Though all in all, I don't suppose I'll miss it when it finally goes.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
Whooooo for annualized gamine, where there is no point in really buying anything ever because the newer better version comes out in one year.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
XT inc said:
Whooooo for annualized gamine, where there is no point in really buying anything ever because the newer better version comes out in one year.
Nope, that's not the deal with Mass Effect, at all. If you haven't played the previous game, no matter whether the next game is better or not, you missed out.

OT: Heh... Didn't really ever notice it.

On the other side, new DLC? My, BioWare, where do you expect me to get money for this? Because I totally have to.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
You mean they won't update that little news blurb that I never bothered reading because they didn't give me control over how fast and when it scrolls and thus I couldn't be assed to wait all damn day to read them when I just wanted to play? Good riddance.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
TrogzTheTroll said:

EDIT: Or is it just the fake news feed being cut?
Just the news feed, edited the story for clarification.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
Does Holiday 2011 mean the American summer? Or do we have to wait 'til Christmas?

ddq5

I wonder what the character limi
Jun 18, 2009
Ahem, allow me to say this once and for all:
KAIDEN AND ASHLEY DLC PLZ. I WILL BUY IT WITH ALL MY MONIES.
Thank you.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
XT inc said:
This post doesn't even remotely make sense...

Mass Effect is a story/character driven trilogy where the decisions in one game carry over into the second and (presumably) the third. It's a full-scale RPG where, if you want the full experience, you absolutely need to play all three titles. A simple intro screen or interactive comic can't even come close to replacing the experience of a full 25 hour game.

Secondly, Mass Effect 1 came out in late 2007. Mass Effect 2 came out in early 2010. Mass Effect 3 is coming out in late 2011. That's a two year development cycle for each title.