6th Grader Shoots Potential Rapist

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
noahd said:
1) mom turns the handle after she scared off the burglar or didn't find the burglar in the house. mom is dead or injured from daughter.
Why is the mom just slinking around? Especially if she scared off the burglar.

Moreso:

2) police off turns handle, is either injured or dead.
Why are the police not announcing themselves?

I know it's going to be easy to take this and try and paint me as pro-gun or saying the right thing was done here, but it seems like a rather large logic problem to me.

12 year old murderer
Also, that's a problem to me. Even if the intruder died, that would not make her a murderer.

Kurt Cristal

Mar 31, 2010
We're missing another CRUCIAL point here!

It was a .40cal glock. That is a HUGE AND HEAVY pistol. I'm surprised she could hold the thing AND hit her mark.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Funny how when a girl shoots a guy through a closet door, she gets a parade, police taser someone running away after repeated warnings, moron falls over and cracks their head on the pavement, and demonization begins.

But, it's always nice to know that not all kids are annoying pricks that start screaming as soon as Jehovah's Witnesses knock on their door.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
The outcome was favorable, but I am concerned as to why a 12-year-old had access to a gun unsupervised. I guess I could understand if she is a member of a "gun family" that knows their shit and taught her at an early age how to use one properly...

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Don't know where you got "rapist" from; it's not mentioned in the article, which made it clear that it was burglary.

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
spartan231490 said:
Yeah, cuz unbreakable locks are $5 at walmart /sarcasm. really, most people who break and enter don't pick a lock, they break down a door or a window.
It just saddens me that when shit goes down they grab for a gun instead of upgrading normal home defences like a stronger door or security screen. Not that I'm against guns or anything but that shouldn't be your only defence is all.

cerebus23 said:
Does he have to physically violate a child before he can be shot? Sure does not paint a good light when there seem to be a number of factors here that child predators watch for, like parents leaving children at home alone, the fact he was not looting randomly and seemed to seek out this child i mean common.

he breaks into a house, irreguardless of his intent, i think it is safe to assume that most people would be scared quite possibly for their very lives, and a near 100% certainty for a child. and that lest over here is grounds to shoot someone.

give this girl a medal and therapy so she is not traumatized by the possibilities or the act of shooting someone.
I was just pointing out that they labeled him a "potential rapist" despite them not raping anyone. Furthermore for all we know (the next part is just a hypothesis so if you don't like them just skip to the TL;DR) the only reason he went steal anything "yet" was because he heard her phone call. Remember, the 12 year old called her mother first who told her to get the family gun and hide in the closet. The intruder could have heard the call and went to the closet to stop her from escaping and calling the police or something. There's just so many unanswered questions right now :L

TL;DR not enough info, still shouldn't label him a "potential rapist"

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
GunsmithKitten said:
Blood Brain Barrier said:
Can't believe people are celebrating this. "Potential rapist?" He might have been a neighbour wanting to borrow some milk.

Teaching a 12-year old this kind of insularity and mistrust is barbaric. In other words, perfectly in line with American values.
How many people wanting to "borrow some milk" smash a window and go in thataway?
What do you mean? Isn't that how everyone asks their neighbours for milk?

Boy have I sure been doing it wrong, that explains all the screaming the last time I ran out...

On topic, I'm a little torn on this, first off, good for the girl for taking matters into her own hands, we have a term for people who think that their governments can somehow magically save the day with instant response times, they're called statistics (Also, in before someone tries to jump down my throat for supposedly advocating some kind of anarchic, free guns for all, regime) But on the other hand, I do find it a little disconcerting that a 12 year old had easy access to any firearm. Yeah it may have saved her life this time, and that's a good thing, but the fact remains that there is a real safety problem in that home.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
GunsmithKitten said:
Wasn't pointing fingers Mr.Kitteh, just making a general statement about the people on the internet, looks like you're making a mountain out of a molehill, forest fire out of a match, bleeding ulcer over nerves, etc., choose your metaphor.

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
SlaveNumber23 said:
Better to assume the person who has broken into your home is a rapist or murderer than let your guard down and give them a chance to take advantage of you.
The news should always just make up the worst possible scenario, because what if it's true even though there's absolutely no evidence to support it. He was probably also a Nazi Satanist who wanted to drink her blood and then wear her skin as a coat. Let's make a passive aggressive news story with that title too.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
Mycroft Holmes said:
SlaveNumber23 said:
Better to assume the person who has broken into your home is a rapist or murderer than let your guard down and give them a chance to take advantage of you.
The news should always just make up the worst possible scenario, because what if it's true even though there's absolutely no evidence to support it. He was probably also a Nazi Satanist who wanted to drink her blood and then wear her skin as a coat. Let's make a passive aggressive news story with that title too.
I meant to the perspective of the girl or anyone experiencing a home invasion, not the media reporting on it. Wasn't that obvious in my wording?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
DJjaffacake said:
The girl is fine: good.
No one died: good.
Nothing got nicked: good.
Ehrmagerd, raep! sensationalism: not good.
To be fair, he was trying to get into the closet where she was, and most likely heard she was in there (she was talking to a 911 operator). Chances of being a rapist: Higher.

The "rape" is an inappropriate attention grabber, though, yes.

OT: I'm torn. On the one hand, this turned out spectacularly well. On the other hand, this could have gone spectacularly wrong.

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
SlaveNumber23 said:
I meant to the perspective of the girl or anyone experiencing a home invasion, not the media reporting on it. Wasn't that obvious in my wording?
Sure, and wasn't it obvious in Keoul's post that "we're" is a reference to all of us and not to a 12 year old girl? Or... wait did the 6th grader write the news article? Did they hire her? And she wrote it as the guy was breaking into her house so she didn't have time to fact check or not take giant leaps to unfounded conclusions? Because if so, that's fine; but otherwise maybe the people writing the news should write news.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Mycroft Holmes said:
SlaveNumber23 said:
Strawman Fallacy: A logical fallacy where the original statement is ignored, and a related yet completely different statement is attacked in its place.

Seen here in: The original statement recommended treating home invasion with extreme care and expecting the worst. You responded with a passive aggressive attack on his statement that media outlets should treat a home invasion as if the worst possible scenario was happening... a statement he did not make.

Please try again.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Mycroft Holmes said:
SlaveNumber23 said:
Sure, and wasn't it obvious in Keoul's post that "we're" is a reference to all of us and not to a 12 year old girl? Or... wait did the 6th grader write the news article? Did they hire her? And she wrote it as the guy was breaking into her house so she didn't have time to fact check or not take giant leaps to unfounded conclusions? Because if so, that's fine; but otherwise maybe the people writing the news should write news.
It doesn't matter what Keoul said, seeing how SlaveNumber23's post didn't address him properly, but his response was self-contained and did have its own point.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Can't believe people are celebrating this. "Potential rapist?" He might have been a neighbour wanting to borrow some milk.

Teaching a 12-year old this kind of insularity and mistrust is barbaric. In other words, perfectly in line with American values.
You act like the girl burst through the front door and gunned him down, rather than him breaking a window, likely hearing the girl in the closet (she was panicking on the phone), and trying to open said closet.

And if encouraging my daughter to mistrust and dislike home intruders is barbaric, then I'm perfectly OK with restarting the Barbarian Revolution.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
TakerFoxx said:

If this is a joke, you might want to make it more obvious. But in case it isn't, he wasn't shot through the front door while knocking. He had smashed a window, entered the house illegally, and was shot when attempting to open the closet the girl was hiding in. Of course he was to be "mistrusted!" Next time, read the article before posting nonsense. The part about him being a potential rapist is silly sensationalism, true. The part where he deserved to be shot was not.
I didn't read that bit. But is it so far-fetched to imagine a situation like the one I mentioned? Breaking the windows is just a minor footnote.

And I could also envisage someone's wife being run over and breaking into the nearest house to use the phone.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
lacktheknack said:

You act like the girl burst through the front door and gunned him down, rather than him breaking a window, likely hearing the girl in the closet (she was panicking on the phone), and trying to open said closet.

And if encouraging my daughter to mistrust and dislike home intruders is barbaric, then I'm perfectly OK with restarting the Barbarian Revolution.
Even if they just want some milk? (without breaking the window)