6th Grader Shoots Potential Rapist

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
If anyone wants to borrow some milk, then they'd let their presence be known by either knocking on the door, calling out or both. One has to assume if someone is entering one's house without any damn permission isn't to be trusted. Especially when said person is sneaking around.

OT: I do think they shouldn't label him as a potential rapist. He had just as much potential to simply murder the girl if he found her. No one is calling him a potential killer though.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Good going kid. It's always good to know how to defend yourself and know what you have to do it with.

Fappy said:
The outcome was favorable, but I am concerned as to why a 12-year-old had access to a gun unsupervised. I guess I could understand if she is a member of a "gun family" that knows their shit and taught her at an early age how to use one properly...
The only thing my dad ever taught me how to fire was the pellet gun that he got for me and my brother.

Of course I was a rather boring child when it came to getting into trouble. I was home alone one day(must have been nine or ten) and I believe I was looking in the closets for something(maybe Christmas gifts, I don't know). While searching in my parents bedroom, I discovered where my dad kept two rifles he had(I guess they were for protection, because he never used them as far as I know). I was like, "cool, dad's rifles", then I closed the closet door and went to go play video games. As I said, I was a boring child.

Really, I think no matter how good a parent hides something, the kid will find it eventually. Anyway, the girl is 12, I know at that age, even if I wasn't taught, I would have been able to quickly figure out how to load a gun and fire it.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Blood Brain Barrier said:
lacktheknack said:
Can't believe people are celebrating this. "Potential rapist?" He might have been a neighbour wanting to borrow some milk.

Teaching a 12-year old this kind of insularity and mistrust is barbaric. In other words, perfectly in line with American values.
You act like the girl burst through the front door and gunned him down, rather than him breaking a window, likely hearing the girl in the closet (she was panicking on the phone), and trying to open said closet.

And if encouraging my daughter to mistrust and dislike home intruders is barbaric, then I'm perfectly OK with restarting the Barbarian Revolution.
Even if they just want some milk? (without breaking the window)
If someone I don't know just marches into my home, the correct response is "Why are you in here?! Get out!"

That's what doorbells are for, you know.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
Mycroft Holmes said:
SlaveNumber23 said:
I meant to the perspective of the girl or anyone experiencing a home invasion, not the media reporting on it. Wasn't that obvious in my wording?
Sure, and wasn't it obvious in Keoul's post that "we're" is a reference to all of us and not to a 12 year old girl? Or... wait did the 6th grader write the news article? Did they hire her? And she wrote it as the guy was breaking into her house so she didn't have time to fact check or not take giant leaps to unfounded conclusions? Because if so, that's fine; but otherwise maybe the people writing the news should write news.
I'm sorry, why is there the need to defend Keoul's post so aggressively? My original post was a misunderstanding and if you take a look at the other posts you will see that someone has already not only pointed it out to me but done so in a reasonable manner and I apologized for the misunderstanding. Are you going to attempt to discuss anything of value or just continue to throw around wild exaggerations and take what I posted completely out of context?

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
lacktheknack said:
Strawman Fallacy: A logical fallacy where the original statement is ignored, and a related yet completely different statement is attacked in its place.

Seen here in: The original statement recommended treating home invasion with extreme care and expecting the worst. You responded with a passive aggressive attack on his statement that media outlets should treat a home invasion as if the worst possible scenario was happening... a statement he did not make.

Please try again.
Oh kind of like his statement being a false response to the original statement about media, and I merely brought it back to the actual subject he was responding to. Perhaps you should try again.

lacktheknack said:
It doesn't matter what Keoul said, seeing how SlaveNumber23's post didn't address him properly, but his response was self-contained and did have its own point.
There's no reason for him to quote it if he was not responding to it. It was clearly a response, just a really stupid one. Unless your argument is that s/he quotes people at pure random. And then I suggest someone get him to a hospital or a psychologist because something is clearly not right if you're pointlessly quoting people.

A.A.K

Mar 7, 2009
SadakoMoose said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
SadakoMoose said:
1: Kick Ass is over rated and about as deep as a kiddie pool during a drought.
2: Aren't we glad that the girl is safe? I sure am!
3: This:
TephlonPrice said:
The intruder got a gunshot and he's about to get his booty violated in the cell block.

Job well done, 12 year old girl.
Is unacceptable.
So, is what your trying to tell me is that rape is a good thing in some cases?
Like, if it's an "ironic" punishment for a male criminal?
What if the intruder had been female? Would you have made the same "joke"?
No, because rape can't really be considered "appropriate" or "laughable" unless the victim's a man.
If we strip away the societal context of the joke, you've basically now said that SOME rape is ok. Of course, you basically get away with it, because the listeners are supposed to find the perpetrator reprehensible/sub-human and therefore an acceptable target for anything.
For example, I could reasonably be forgiven for saying "If I knew a Nazi, I'd decapitate him, peel the flesh from his face, place my fingers in his still dripping eye sockets, and bowl his recently scalped cranium into a woodchipper. I would then use the brain matter to feed other nazis". Sure, that example is extreme, but if we attach the word "Nazi" to the beginning why does it strangely feel more acceptable? Even with the word "nazi" added in as my "get out of jail free card", I've still just admitted to desiring the brutal murder, desecration, and mutilation of another man because I disagree with his personal philosophy.
Is that REALLY the society we want to live in?
Please reconsider this opinion.
Actually, I'd be for the joke even if said potential rapist was a female.

You know why?

CAUSE ITS A FUCKING RAPIST! Yeah a rape joke is okay if the butt of the joke falls on a RAPIST.

Also, did you just describe the desire to genocide entire groups of Gays, Gypsies and Jews as "Personal Philosophy"?
Let's leave the ex reality show hosts out of this...
1: We're not talking about rape jokes, we're talking about your amusement at the concept of rape being inflicted as an ironic or just punishment. Again, is some Rape ok in your mind?
2: Like I said, it's an extreme example. This was not meant to imply that atrocities committed by the Nazis were somehow excusable as a "point of view". However, what I'm tying to get across is that MAYBE it's a bad idea to answer ugliness with ugliness. Maybe, it's better to try and move forward as human beings, rather than satisfying ourselves with cheap cathartic crap.
Eh. Evidently it appears some rape is ok.
If I found out a serial rapist or child molester was going to get gang raped, and I had the power to stop it - I wouldn't.
I wouldn't do it myself, and I wouldn't go tell someone "rape that guy", but if someone is going to make the decision to rape this bit of pond scum, I'd accept that.
Call it an 'occupational hazard'.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
I didn't read that bit. But is it so far-fetched to imagine a situation like the one I mentioned? Breaking the windows is just a minor footnote.

And I could also envisage someone's wife being run over and breaking into the nearest house to use the phone.
Yes, it is incredibly far-fetched. I actually live in America, and despite what you may have been led to believe, we don't answer the doors with the barrel of a shotgun. Sure, there's gun-crazed rednecks out there, but the majority of us just open the door and say "Hello?" without worrying if there's going to be a shoot-out. Breaking the windows and entering is most definitely NOT a minor footnote and is a clear declaration of home invasion and bad intentions, whether it be burglary, rape or otherwise, no matter what country you're in.

And come on dude, the scenario you're describing is just silly. For one, if someone needs help that badly, they usually scream for it and move to a different house if the first one doesn't answer the door.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
I find it odd that people consider home invasion where residents are at home and, somehow, feel as though the resident's use of force might somehow be out of bounds.

Xariat

Jan 30, 2011
Wow the word "rape" really brings out the worst of the escapist.

Personally I'm glad it turned out OK and that the girl was unharmed.
but there are a few points I'd like to add.

first off the fact that she had access to a .40 glock.
The label "potential rapist" because everyone is a "potential rapist". yeah he broke into the house and was headed for the closet where the girl was hiding but there are no proof that he had the intention to rape her.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
DeathStreamer said:
"I think it's going to change me a whole lot, knowing that I can hold my head up high and nothing can hurt me anymore."
Sounds like she'll grow up to be an excellent american girl, thinking guns will make her safe and solve all her problems.
To be honest, a gun is a tool - nothing more or less than that. Having ready access to that tool and proficiency in it's use provides a measure of protection against various threats one might face.

With proper training and proficiency, an armed individual is generally safer than an unarmed individual. Should that tool be improperly used, this boon could easily become a burden. I myself carry a weapon whenever allowed. There are exactly two people in my city of residence I would draw this weapon to defend. The first is myself. The second is my Fiance. The rest of the world is free to do what they will.

It is not a perfect system by any stretch and my preference would be that I have no reasonable cause to defend myself. Funny how being robbed at gunpoint in front of your own home can undermine your self confidence.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Xariat said:
Wow the word "rape" really brings out the worst of the escapist.

Personally I'm glad it turned out OK and that the girl was unharmed.
but there are a few points I'd like to add.

first off the fact that she had access to a .40 glock.
The label "potential rapist" because everyone is a "potential rapist". yeah he broke into the house and was headed for the closet where the girl was hiding but there are no proof that he had the intention to rape her.
This is the best explanation. Even if youre going to respond with "ALWAYS assume an intruder is a rapist" it makes it a worthless descriptor in any news article since it applies to all home invasions ever of all time. Every home invador is a potential rapist. So every news article till the end of time from now on should call the perp "Potential rapist" and thus totally invalidate the term. If it can be used to describe literally everything it isnt useful as a descriptor. Its a silly title.

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
I imagine a block of houses like revolver barrels in a game of russian roulette, "Which of these quiet suburban homes contains a little girl in possession of enough fear and firepower to snuff you the f$#! out?"

Anything that'll heal is a-ok against intruders, I *might* have been a bit sorry for him if he'd died or been maimed. But as it turns out, I'm just laughing so hard at him. Vicious, spiteful laughter. (I consider the possibility of him being a rapist as irrelevant, he's already someone who has violated the boundaries of a home, to me that's more than bad enough.)

I hope the girl doesn't develop a warped view of the world because of it all, but you get the impression she's handling it okay.

Roggen Bread

Nov 3, 2010
Keoul said:
I thinks we're all jumping the gun by assuming the intruder is a rapist when the only crime they committed so far was home invasion.
Also damn, America needs better locks.

This was a truly good post. Funny AND true.

OT: Well, good for the girl, which should be in therapy by now.

(At least I would be if that would have happened to me.)

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
Roggen Bread said:
Keoul said:
I thinks we're all jumping the gun by assuming the intruder is a rapist when the only crime they committed so far was home invasion.

This was a truly good post. Funny AND true.

OT: Well, good for the girl, which should be in therapy by now.

(At least I would be if that would have happened to me.)
FINALLY SOMEONE GETS IT
Jeez, you'd think making it bold would make it obvious but you're the first one to get it! Congratulations!

[small]I'd use a more happy gif but this is the only one I have, sorry![/small]

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
Uh... isn't one of the big firearm safety rules 'keep your guns where 12-year-old kids can't get them'?
The mother was downright irresponsible. For a start, the kid could've been spooked and shot her mother, or herself, accidentally. And what's the point in giving the kid the gun, when presumably you know how to use it? That's just asking for a tragedy.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
Keoul said:
If a stranger enters your home without your permission and you have a gun, well - basically your front door is for his protection, not yours.
You've got to be able to defend yourself and your family if you have to. Making that decision to actually squeeze that trigger has got to be fucking traumatic, but I've decided I'd rather be prosecuted for using force than have myself or my family harmed because I didn't act.