7 year old commits suicide

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-05-25/detroit-child-suicide/55200606/1

So yeah, a 7 year old hanged himself, apparently because of a combination of his parents divorce and being bullied.
Don't really feel like giving my opinion here. Just sharing this article.

Dec 14, 2009
Inb4 lost faith in humanity.

Parents failed as parents and the system set in place to protect her also failed. She paid for the incompetence of others.

It's quite sad.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
I don't think there's a lot you can say about a case like that. It's horrifically sad.

More attention should have been paid to the child but, then again, it's not like the parents could have foreseen anything like this. Suicide at that age is extremely rare.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
I didn't know seven year olds had the capacity to think of killing themselves.
I don't even know if I was aware of the concept of suicide at that age.

We really need to start treating bullying as more of a serious issue in schools. Students who abuse other students shouldn't get away with it.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Welp, that's a comprehensively depressing notion.

Not much else can be said.

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
Jonluw said:
Kids are aware of suicde younger than that, I know attempted suicide several times around that age. However thay probably don't really understand the full consequences of it.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Axolotl said:
Jonluw said:
Kids are aware of suicde younger than that, I know attempted suicide several times around that age. However thay probably don't really understand the full consequences of it.
I think you underestimate 7-year-old kids.

Unless they have lived excessively sheltered lives, a kid of that age will understand what it is to be dead. If nothing else, they will have seen dead animals.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Don't really know what can be said to that, other than how tragic it is. Poor kid.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Jonluw said:
Children are smarter than we give them credit for, that said seven is not far past the average age where a child can understand that death is final so he may not have fully understood the consequences of his actions and it's also possible for a child to understand the academic effects of their action without understanding the emotional effects... we'll never know now either way. Tragic for all involved.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Oh, the kid who was bullied by everyone at school for living in a house with lots of females?

Yeah, heard about that a few days ago.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
I wouldn't have thought suicide would even occur to a 7 year-old =S Unless the child had nothing but crap to put up with during those 7 years and was basically forced to mature to try and deal with it. I can't help but wonder what on earth happened to the poor kid that made him do it?

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
Zhukov said:
Axolotl said:
Jonluw said:
I think you underestimate 7-year-old kids.

Unless they have lived excessively sheltered lives, a kid of that age will understand what it is to be dead. If nothing else, they will have seen dead animals.
I never said they wouldn't understand what it it to be dead (as much as we can understand that). What I mean is that they most likely wouldn't understand the impact their suicide would have on the people around them.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
That's an absolute shame. My nephew is 7, I'd be completely devastated, confused and heartbroken if that happened to him.

I think the problem is the teachers don't take bullying serious at that age. Kids do tend to throw silly little insults at each other such as, "you're a smelly poo head!" which may seem trivial to us, but can seriously upset children.
The teachers could have tried to stop this bullying. I know at my nieces school they tried to pass my niece getting picked on off as, "it's just kids being silly, it'll be all forgotten in a week."

Kids can very hurtful to each other sometimes. This could have been prevented if the school had taken bigger steps to stop the bullying.
I also hope the parents and siblings were helping him to cope with the separation at home, rather than leaving a pastor to help him.

A Satanic Panda

Nov 5, 2009
This doesn't quite sit right with me. Does a seven year old even know how to tie the belt around his neck, or bunk? He wold have to tie at least one end. Plus is he heavy enough to actually kill himself by hanging? I just tried knotting a belt around my door knob. It holds, but it won't hold for very long. That leaves me very skeptical about all this. I don't think he simply hung him self. He must have gotten help.

This has to be a record or something. This is the third time I've seen something on the internet related to suicide today. I've only been on here for a little more the an hour.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
I had way too much on my mind at seven to even think about killing myself.

Like stuffing lego up my nose and flushing my parents stuff down the toilet.

Seriously though, this is sad, and kind of incomprehensible to me.

Jan 27, 2011
GOD. DAMN.

That's just...Tragic. Beyond tragic.

How the hell does it occur to a 7 year old to do that?!

My deepest sympathies lie with his family.