7 year old commits suicide

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
SaneAmongInsane said:
It seems suspicious to me. I mean how the fuck does a 7 year old have a concept of death? Let alone the idea of suicide or that hanging would be an effective means to do it?
I tried to suffocate myself a few times around that age... in my experience we do have a concept of death, albeit not necessarily a fully developed grasp of the wider consequences.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
Kids are dumb. REAL dumb. But that only explains a fraction of it. The rest I put down to the parents, the bullies and the portrayal of suicide victims.

Substitute Troll

Aug 29, 2010
The kid is weak.

I know you're going to take that at face value, so let me explain. It's not the kid's fault that he is weak. He's been depressed by the bullying and the the fact that his parents are no longer married. But divorce and bullying alone does not make people want to kill themselves, believe me, I went through the same thing at the same age. There has to be an underlying problem somewhere. My theory is on the parents. They've obviously never taught the kid how to handle hardship or depression, which is a vital thing to know. Thus making him mentally weak.

In short, not his fault, I blame the parents and the bullies. Mostly the parents.

Of course, my assertion is entirerly based on the linked article. None of us know the whole story.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Wow... now I'm depressed. I have a cousin who's about that age, if he... no... I don't even wanna think about it...

The worst part of it all is: this could have been avoided.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
To be honest I didn't know 7-year-olds know about commit suicide and such. o_O

Was the child bullied because his parents split up or for other things as well?

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
This seems to be a case of a child taking extreme steps to grab attention, only to have it go horribly wrong. There have been several other cases similar to this, all involving hanging.

A child is going to an extreme length to grab attention to themselves, but (being a child) failing to fully consider the implications of the action -- firstly, that no one is seeing it, and second, that they won't be able to benefit from "how sad they'll all be when I'm gone."

Don't mistake this for not having sympathy for the child, though! I simply don't think people need to ascribe the kind of forethought or specific intent that they are. "Cry for help" suicide attempts can accidentally result in actual suicide (a friend of mine died on the phone to my house after his "cry" backfired).

To properly handle problems like this, we really need to address the core issue. Counseling is extremely important, but also making sure to impart as much perspective as we can. This is not a child calculating the possibility of suicide. This is a child not fully grasping the finality of his choices, and the result of many other possible factors making him that desperate for attention...

SaetonChapelle

May 11, 2010
As depressing as this is it's not all that uncommon. Very young children do understand the world around them and that chaos is happening in their lives, however are unable to handle to emotional stress unless there is someone there to help assist (usually a parents, guardian, sibling...). Especially in cases of divorce where the parents are already focused on one huge task, the child sometimes ends up being pushed aside (obviously this is not always the case. In my families case my father paid much attention to my personal needs).

Children are egocentric. This means that they believe that the world and events happen due to them. Often times if an adult or someone is feeling sad a child will give them their favorite toy. Their thought process is 'well this toy cheers ME up, it should for this person as well'/ This is normal behavior. So when something bad happens, a child automatically thinks its their fault. It has NOTHING to do with low self esteem, although that might also be an additional and more dangerous factor.

Bullys as well think in the same fashion. A child bully doesn't necessarily mean what he's doing, he cant fully comprehend. Once again the child is egocentric. And thus they can't fully understand the end result, besides their own personal self gain (whether that be friends, popularity, or self worth). A bully might have problems going on in their own home, or personal life as well, and the only outlet is releasing their anger or feelings out on another, usually smaller or weaker individual, especially when they feel threatened. Of course this by no means makes the situation okay, however it does open up to some solutions for the child, and does feature some emotional problems that the child might have dealing with social activity and family.

Im speaking for very young children. As the child get older these actions tend to remain if not dealt with, and must be treated carefully. Many parents however don't want to hear that their child is a bully, or if they feel as if their child is being bullied, rather then assess the situation with clear thought they attack the school. This is not to say the parents or school are at fault.

Long story short, children as very sensitive to the world around them, an act accordingly. Suicide for a young child is nothing new, and it as well as bullying will keep getting larger if we as adults, parents, teachers, siblings, so on and so forth don't start paying attention and teaching the children how to have a healthy outlet, and to explain clearly to them what is going on in their lives. Children aren't stupid by any means.

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
I don?t know why there?s a thread on this, since there?s nothing to discuss. This is sad, shit happens, move on.

No, seriously. Suicides of complete strangers that don?t affect us happen every day, and complaining about bullying or poor parenting or retarded parenting or the failed child care system isn?t going to solve anything.

TomLikesGuitar

Jul 6, 2010
RazadaMk2 said:
TomLikesGuitar said:
The kid had problems and shit happens.

That's why the TC had nothing to add, because there is nothing to add.

The only one at fault here is the kid.
The kid is the only one who cannot be faulted by this act. Most 7 year olds do not have the emotional capacity to deal with the shit they might face. It is up to parents, teachers, "Figures of Authority" and friends to help people out when they are that young. The responsibility lies on their many heads.

No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manor of thine own
Or of thine friend's were.
Each man's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.

Society is responsible. We are all responsible.

I am now done. I cannot be bothered trying to explain how wrong it is to assume that a 7 year old has the ability to deal with what the world throws at them without support. Nor can I be bothered explaining just how wrong this quasi-nihilist thought that "Bullying makes you stronger and is essential" is.

TLDR;

Sucks. Kid should have recieved more help. Stop blaming a 7 year old for killing themselves. Doing so makes you a horrible person.
John Donne... Cute.

You can crusade all you like to make it seem like this kid was perfectly normal for offing himself, but he wasn't. You have no proof that this kid was NOT offered all the support he needed, so why make the assumption that he was left alone.

Why do I feel like all the anti-bullying crusaders were never bullied?

I was bullied to a pretty substantial degree, and it made me a better person. My parents got a divorce when I was young and it taught me about life. I was emotionally stable enough to handle it, and this kid was NOT.

Stop playing the blame game from the top of your altruistic high horse and just accept this for what it truly is... a freak accident.

Nov 28, 2007
TomLikesGuitar said:

I was bullied to a pretty substantial degree, and it made me a better person. My parents got a divorce when I was young and it taught me about life. I was emotionally stable enough to handle it, and this kid was NOT.
I handled my parents' divorce, because I was only 6 months old. But bullying? That wrecked me. I ended up going to two different psychiatrists because I was getting bullied at school, and then went home to be verbally abused by my stepfather. You may say that verbal abuse is not the same thing, but all that changes is who is doing the bullying. Saying that "I was bullied, and it made me better, so anyone saying that bullying is bad has never been bullied" is an insult to anyone who's actually suffered from it. It seems you didn't actually suffer, but rather had it happen to you. There is a difference.

On-topic: This is just...depressing. I've been in that state of mind before, but not until I was 21. At seven? Wow...

TomLikesGuitar

Jul 6, 2010
thebobmaster said:
TomLikesGuitar said:

I handled my parents' divorce, because I was only 6 months old. But bullying? That wrecked me. I ended up going to two different psychiatrists because I was getting bullied at school, and then went home to be verbally abused by my stepfather. You may say that verbal abuse is not the same thing, but all that changes is who is doing the bullying. Saying that "I was bullied, and it made me better, so anyone saying that bullying is bad has never been bullied" is an insult to anyone who's actually suffered from it. It seems you didn't actually suffer, but rather had it happen to you. There is a difference.

On-topic: This is just...depressing. I've been in that state of mind before, but not until I was 21. At seven? Wow...
But you're admitting that the damage from bullying is circumstantial, and nearly impossible to judge... ESPECIALLY if the bullied person is repressing their emotions.

I just don't think anyone is necessarily at fault here except the kid. I'm not saying he intentionally was messed up... it just happens. The world is a messed up place.