Interplay Calls Bethesda's Fallout Claim "Absurd"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Interplay Calls Bethesda's Fallout Claim "Absurd"

Interplay has responded to Bethesda's claim that it has no right to use any Fallout Online [http://www.amazon.com/Fallout-New-Vegas-Xbox-360/dp/B0028IBTL6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294692559&sr=8-1] MMO, calling the idea "absurd."

The legal battle between interesting turn [http://www.bethsoft.com] in December when Bethesda made the odd-sounding claim that its license agreement with Interplay included the Fallout trademark and absolutely nothing else related to the franchise. In other words, according to Bethesda, Interplay had the right to call its game Fallout but it couldn't actually make it a Fallout game.

I said at the time that the idea struck me as kind of crazy and while my legal expertise begins and ends with Law & Order [http://www.amazon.com/Law-Order-Third-1992-1993-Season/dp/B00080Z5FM/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1294692686&sr=8-15] reruns (pre-Dennis Farina, thanks), Interplay's legal team seems to have adopted a similar approach, dismissing Bethesda's claim as patently silly.

"Bethesda's interpretation requires Interplay to develop and release an MMOG under the Fallout name, but unrelated to the Fallout brand," Interplay said in a court filing made on January 7. "First, this is not only absurd, but is specifically prohibited [emphasis Interplay's] by the agreement because Interplay was only granted a 'license and right to use the Licensed Marks on and in connection with its Fallout-branded MMOG... and for no other purpose'."

"It was not the parties' intent that Interplay create, for example, an online baseball game or poker game called 'Fallout'," it added.

Much of the dispute appears to turn on terms laid out in various agreements between the two companies which occasionally superseded each other and left some points inadequately defined. In particular is the definition of "Fallout-branded MMOG" and how the "brand" differs from the "trademark." Bethesda claims Interplay was to create a game with the Fallout trademark but otherwise unrelated to the Fallout brand, while Interplay points out, rather sensibly in my view, that if it was forced to "divorce the trademark from the source of its good will, which stems from its reputation related to a particular and unique post-apocalyptic world," there wouldn't be much point in using the trademark in the first place.

Interplay's filing also asked for permission to "present evidence to show the parties' intent with regard to the meaning of the term 'Fallout-brand MMOG'" to the court. The battle will continue, and we will keep you posted.

Sources: Ausir [http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Ausir/Interplay_counters_Bethesda%27s_claims_with_quotes_from_Bethesda%27s_statements] for the tip.

PixelKing

Moderately confused.
Sep 4, 2009
Huh, Ausir is on the escapist.

OT:I'd love a Fallout MMO think of the possiblities!

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
What? Seriously? I don't know how I never heard of this legal battle before but man... Bethesda... are you guys on drugs?

Oh wait they did make Oblivion... and Patrick Stewart had like 10 lines of dialogue... they must be!

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
I said at the time that the idea struck me as kind of crazy and while my legal expertise begins and ends with Law & Order [http://www.amazon.com/Law-Order-Third-1992-1993-Season/dp/B00080Z5FM/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1294692686&sr=8-15] reruns (pre-Dennis Farina, thanks)
Damn right! Jerry Orbach > everybody else.

Huh? Fallout? Oh right. Yeah I would have to hope Interplay is right, it's extremely stupid if the only thing they get to do is put "Fallout" in the game's title. Unless they're supposed to call the game "This Game Has Nothing To Do With Fallout."

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
At this point Interplay should just gave up and make some post-apocolyptic MMOG outside the Fallout name. Fighting a better funded Besthesda is just going to drain what little money they have.

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
Is there one video game company out there that isn't run by complete assholes?

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
Well, now I can answer the Question of the Day. I will not be buying Skyrim. Bethesda is on the list of companies to be avoided. Well done.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Traun said:
Stardock... maybe?

Jonci said:
At this point Interplay should just gave up and make some post-apocolyptic MMOG outside the Fallout name. Fighting a better funded Besthesda is just going to drain what little money they have.
Which might be the point.
HG131 said:
Interplay, you made Run Like Hell, Fallout Tactics and Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel.
Tactics wasn't bad. It was a weird X-Com type post-apocalyptic thing... not really Fallout, but not bad. :p

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
Starke said:
Traun said:
Stardock... maybe
At this point, I'll just assume they haven't had a partner to screw over. Although I really liked how they handled the development of Elemental.

mogamer

Jan 26, 2010
Jonci said:
Which is exactly what Bethesda wants.

Chalksoup

Mar 6, 2009
I guess if it goes sour for Interplay they can use the Fallout trademark to make "FalloutVille" just to be an arse to Bethesda. That and make millions off of the casual market.

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
Chalksoup said:
I guess if it goes sour for Interplay they can use the Fallout trademark to make "FalloutVille" just to be an arse to Bethesda. That and make millions off of the casual market.
You know, that would be a good idea. Interplay could just take one last piss at Bethesda before going to the grave.

Fallout: Nuclear Village
Fallout: Mafia
Fallout: Nuclear Warfare
Fallout: Nuclear Warfare 2
Fallout: Nuclear Warfare 3
Fallout: Nuclear Warfare 4

And make them come out in intervals of 4 months. You aren't there to make money, you're there to drag the franchise down with you. And if it is profitable...well...Befallout is next.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
Sheesh, we need this game so bad... Interplay and Bethesda should just join forces. This isn't about profit anymore, this is about the good of humanity! Seriously! Fallout MMO!