Interplay Calls Bethesda's Fallout Claim "Absurd"

coolman9899

May 20, 2010
but really guys dont troll til the end then depending on what happens to the case might deserve trolling... i dont mean offence but their just defending their franchise is all

fenderstrat

Aug 9, 2009
im not surprised... i really never liked bethesda anyway, ever since they completely ignored me when i had problems with fallout's bugs. bastards

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I dunno, I'd play a Fallout-based poker game if it was like Telltale's Poker Night at the Inventory. They might have stumbled into gold here.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Interplay releasing a poorly funded, partially redacted, probable failure does constitute a clear and present danger to the intellectual property Bethesda has nurtured into a full-blown blockbuster.

The only reason interplay hasn't lost their rights to the franchise already is that they were able to convince the courts that a few mock up drawings constitute real progress on the MMO.

Interplay made some great games with fallout-- well, two great games-- and during their descent into financial apocalypse they attempted a Jay Leno style waiting-in-the-wings approach to get out a fallout MMO. Interplay dropping out of the game would actually give bethesda the opportunity to develop the MMO themselves, should they so desire. Instead, my prediction is that interplay will continue to hold the rights, and trickle along a few images periodically, going the route of Duke Nukem Forever. I also predict that after 10 years bethesda will acquire the material, and revive the project from the brink of oblivion. <-- pun

Ausir

Sep 5, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
Interplay is a publisher, not a developer. A publisher buying a publisher does not make any sense.
Interplay is both a publisher and a developer.

mikozero said:
can't really make a call on this without seeing lots of boring legal paper.

as much i'd like to see a Fallout MMO (as long as it wasn't too populated :p) if Interplay sold the IP to Bethesda (which afaik they did) then they sold the IP to Bethesda.

you can't sell an IP to someone and then use the same IP to make another product regardless.
They sold the IP but licensed back the rights to develop and publish the MMO. They actually offered to sell the MMO rights to Bethesda too, but Bethesda declined, because that would cost them extra. So now they're trying to get these rights for free by claiming that all Interplay had rights to use was just the title, which is ridiculous.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
I'd be inclined to agree with all the Bethesda hate if Interplay hadn't fucked Black Isle Studios over by taking all of their funding and making a crappy Fallout spinoff that bombed with it. Sorry guys but in Bethesda's hands is where Fallout seems best.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
thiosk said:
Interplay releasing a poorly funded, partially redacted, probable failure does constitute a clear and present danger to the intellectual property Bethesda has nurtured into a full-blown blockbuster.

The only reason interplay hasn't lost their rights to the franchise already is that they were able to convince the courts that a few mock up drawings constitute real progress on the MMO.

Interplay made some great games with fallout-- well, two great games-- and during their descent into financial apocalypse they attempted a Jay Leno style waiting-in-the-wings approach to get out a fallout MMO. Interplay dropping out of the game would actually give bethesda the opportunity to develop the MMO themselves, should they so desire. Instead, my prediction is that interplay will continue to hold the rights, and trickle along a few images periodically, going the route of Duke Nukem Forever. I also predict that after 10 years bethesda will acquire the material, and revive the project from the brink of oblivion. <-- pun
Correction, Black Isle made two great Fallout Games. And many other great games. Interplay fucked them over by taking their funding and using it to make Fallout Brotherhood of Steel, which was a commercial and critical failure. Most of the Black Isle guys became Obsidian, which just made New Vegas.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Seeing it from Bethesda's point of view, the agreement it signed with Interplay allegedly granted license to all Fallout material created by Interplay - FO1, 2, Tactics, BoS - but not anything created by Bethsoft. In other words, an Interplay-developed Fallout MMO would be based entirely on pre-Fallout 3 material, and give the success it's had with the franchise, Bethesda probably doesn't want that sort of schism to develop in the property. It may appear dickish on the surface but from a business point of view, it's not unreasonable.
So then Interplay just goes ahead. Bethesda can scream all it wants. Its based on the world that was established by the first games. Even if the control system is similar, which to the lawyers would be another entire year of court room sessions. Interplay can always point to the first games in which Bethesda based the current Fallouts. Its sort of a non-issue.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
thiosk said:
Interplay made some great games with fallout-- well, two great games-- and during their descent into financial apocalypse they attempted a Jay Leno style waiting-in-the-wings approach to get out a fallout MMO.
Correction, Black Isle made two great Fallout Games.
Consider me corrected.

Fuck interplay, imo.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
What? This is still going on? Why can't they just hug and pool together to make the Fallout MMO?

They could be a way through it by now!