Bethesda Confirms Skyrim Will Be Moddable

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Bethesda Confirms Skyrim Will Be Moddable

Mod tools make the world better, says Bethesda's community manager.

Elder Scrolls developer Bethesda has confirmed that it will release a new set of mod tools for the upcoming fifth game in the series, Skyrim [http://www.amazon.com/Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim-Xbox-360/dp/B004HYK956/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1295466663&sr=1-1]. Bethesda has a history of encouraging player-made content, stretching back nearly ten years.

Writing on the official Bethesda blog [http://bethblog.com/index.php/2011/01/19/new-creation-kit-to-bring-modding-tools-to-skyrim/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+bethesdablog+(Bethesda+Blog)], community manager Nick Breckon joked that science had proven that mod tools made the world just that little bit more special. Not only did they make modders happy, they also made players happy because they got more content for their games, and it made the developers happy to see the modders gain experience.

The new tools will be called the "Creation Kit," which refers to Bethesda's new Creation engine, and is rather apt, considering what they're for. Breckon said that he didn't have any more details to reveal about the kit right now, other than the fact it existed, but said that the tools would be very powerful. Modders have used Bethesda's tools for Morrowind [http://www.amazon.com/Elder-Scrolls-Morrowind-Game-Year-Pc/dp/B0000CNUUP/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1295466684&sr=1-1] and Oblivion [http://www.amazon.com/Elder-Scrolls-IV-Oblivion-Playstation-3/dp/B000TVT7U4/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1295466708&sr=1-1] to create new dungeons, new items, new playable races, and even entirely new features like dancing and smoking. Hopefully the new tools will be just as versatile.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim comes out for Xbox 360, PC and PS3 on November 11th.

binvjoh

Sep 27, 2010
I'm glad for the people who actually like mods, but they're not really my style.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
That's great to hear, though I kind of expected it to be moddable like their other games.

Kratenser

Sep 18, 2010
Saying that a bethesda game will be mod-able is like saying that the sun will rise in the morning. You know its gonna happen, and there's going to be hell of a lot of trouble if it doesnt!

Even so, modding oblivion was hilarious, i eagerly await to see what the community can churn out for skyrim :)

FOR THE IMPERIU-- FOR THE LOLZ! :D

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
The more I hear about this game, the more I like about it! Plus this gives me an excellent excuse to build myself a kick-ass gaming rig. Sweet!

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
Was this ever in question? I mean did anyone actually think it wouldn't be moddable?

This seems like reporting that there will be swords in the game.

Danish rage

Sep 26, 2010
Even though im getting it for the 360 and therefore are excluded from the mods, im really looking forward to the new engine.

QuadrAlien

Mar 20, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
Elder Scrolls developer Bethesda has confirmed that it will release a new set of mood tools for the upcoming fifth game in the series,
Pardon me for nitpicking, but I think you mean mod tools. Unless that's what they've named the mod tools. Which they aren't, alas.

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
Yes! Bethesda had me worried there if they were going to jump the band-wagon of excluding the PC. Or they just couldn't miss the opportunity of making a console-game knowing the fans will fix it for the PC anyway.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
Mood tools? They sound fun!

Haha, I loved played a modded Oblivion, so a modded Skyrim will be a dream come true. Bring on the dragon mounts!

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
demoman_chaos said:
Thus the console versions are rendered pointless.
Not quite. There's still the small problem that TES games have been taxing PC's since Morrowind. At this point I'm waiting on the system requirements to be released to see if I can run it well enough on my machine. If not, I'll have to get the console version. I'm hoping it's requirements are at least close to Oblivion, otherwise I might be screwed.

I'll get the PC version eventually, I might just have to wait until I can afford to upgrade my RAM/GPU/whatever.