Everyone Gets Every Portal 2 Mod Level on Every Platform

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Everyone Gets Every Portal 2 Mod Level on Every Platform

People playing Portal 2 on Xbox 360 and PS3 will have access to all of the user-created levels made on the PC, according to Valve.

Games are more multiplatform than ever these days, but multiplayer is still mainly a local affair. People playing Call of Duty: Black Ops on the PC can't play with people playing it on the Xbox 360, who can't play with people playing it on the PS3. That's about to change, however, with Portal 2 - Valve's inclusion of SteamWorks in the PS3 version means that there's more crossover [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107023-Valve-Giving-PS3-Owners-Two-Copies-of-Portal-2-For-the-Price-of-One] between multiplatform copies than ever before.

Valve's Chet Faliszek confirmed to NowGamer [http://www.nowgamer.com/news/5030/portal-2-mod-levels-for-all-platforms] that while user-created levels must be made on the PC, gamers with an Xbox 360, PS3 or Macintosh PC will be able to play them, too.

"The mod tools have to stay on the PC side just because there's a bunch of dependencies that require the Windows platform," said Faliszek. "But the content that comes out is agnostic, and so we will be seeing that on all the platforms. Depending on the platform you're on I should say, will depend on how we're delivering it."

Faliszek confirmed that PS3 owners would get the levels as part of SteamWorks updates, but did not mention how the same levels would be delivered to Xbox 360 players.

I'm betting it probably isn't whatever process they had planned to use to update the Xbox 360 version of Team Fortress 2, am I right?

(NowGamers [http://www.nowgamer.com/news/5030/portal-2-mod-levels-for-all-platforms])

Jambolaty

Mar 14, 2009
As long as us 360 people don't have to pay for this whilst others are getting it for free, this is awesome.

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
Makes me happy! If all the PS3 people who made great levels for LittleBigPlanet can be motivated to make great levels for Portal 2 as well, everybody wins.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
John Funk said:
I'm betting it probably isn't whatever process they had planned to use to update the Xbox 360 version of Team Fortress 2, am I right?
You just article ninja'd about 3/4 of the people on this site

Good job

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
While I am happy for the PS3 owners and PC guys like myself, I'm worried that the Xbox Live folks are going to get charged for "map packs" as DLC. This would be a travesty, since I doubt the creators would get any profit from it at all, while Microsoft scams the shit out of their customers.

silverbullet1989

Jun 7, 2009
Jambolaty said:
As long as us 360 people don't have to pay for this whilst others are getting it for free, this is awesome.
lol yeah and Micro$oft will announce there giving us all a years free subscription to xbox live =p

as nice as it would be, i can see micro$oft been a pain in the ass about this... not that i care as i will get it on the pc, but i know my brother will get the xbox version.

Tron Paul

Dec 11, 2009
Honestly this sort of thing has been possible to implement for console makers for a loooooooong time. It's just no one has bothered to do it except valve (not big surprise). Allowing consoles to use custom mods, and maps is great step forward for them. You still have to make the things on a PC, but honestly, if you've ever modded or mapped, doing it on a console would be bawls, especially with Hammer. I hear mapping with it is an exercise in masochism.

I'll always prefer PC, but if consoles got modding, servers, and mouse and keyboard support, I might be tempted to buy one.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Wow.
That is cool. I was only planning on getting the ps3 version because it comes free with the pc version (or vice versa) but I'm impressed. There are very few games that have an ability for user made content, and I can only think of one that builds it into the functioning of the game...on the consoles at least.
UT3 allowed me to download mods to the ps3. Then with the right software you could make your own items/weapons in Borderlands.

Still, I am a little bit worried. After hearing them complain so long about the ps3 architecture, I can't help but wonder if it's really boggled them enough that this will stutter and crash amore than Fallout New Vegas.

Spygon

May 16, 2009
Is this the begining of the new world of gaming i hope so.

Also this is why i give so much respect to valve there are always looking for ideas to make the industry better for gamers.

Jul 22, 2009
silverbullet1989 said:
lol yeah and Microsoft will announce there giving us all a years free subscription to xbox live =p

as nice as it would be, i can see microsoft been a pain in the ass about this... not that i care as i will get it on the pc, but i know my brother will get the xbox version.
Fix'd your post there.

Why would Microsoft be a pain in the ass about this?

Ciler

Nov 16, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
While I am happy for the PS3 owners and PC guys like myself, I'm worried that the Xbox Live folks are going to get charged for "map packs" as DLC. This would be a travesty, since I doubt the creators would get any profit from it at all, while Microsoft scams the shit out of their customers.
Far Cry 2 on Xbox 360 had user-generated levels for free, I don't see why this would be an issue all of a sudden with Portal 2. I mean, as long as they're accessible through the game itself, instead of the XBL Marketplace, it should be fine.

silverbullet1989

Jun 7, 2009
GamesB2 said:
silverbullet1989 said:
lol yeah and Microsoft will announce there giving us all a years free subscription to xbox live =p

as nice as it would be, i can see microsoft been a pain in the ass about this... not that i care as i will get it on the pc, but i know my brother will get the xbox version.
Fix'd your post there.

thanks -_-

I'm not bashing them, i own a 360 myself... but its just that idea of giving things away for free... i mean all those problems involving the BBC's iplayer... something Microsoft didn't want free subscribers to use... they've been problems between valve and Microsoft before involving dlc, Microsoft wanting to charge for it, but valve not etc... i just can see it been one of those "yes you will get this modded content... eventually" like team fortress 2. I use to play that on the xbox till my brother showed me the PC version... its hard to believe its the same game.

Nalesnik

Nov 10, 2008
GamesB2 said:
silverbullet1989 said:

Fix'd your post there.

Have you ever seen the xbox marketplace? Every little thing has a price tag attached to it, gamer pics, avatar clothing, game videos, game add-ons, every virtual item. It's pretty ridiculous what they can get away with selling. So of course, it's super likely MS is gonna be a pain and charge for every single user-created mod and knick-knack, while PC users get it all gratis.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Would they be allowed to sell other people's work for money for themselves, without the designer getting any profit? Wouldn't they be sued for that, at least I hope so anyway, the people who design the levels should get all the profit.

chickenlord

May 14, 2008
The folks at Bethesda studios should work on this! would be awesome to have all the mods made in skyrim to be on the ps3 & xbox aswell =D