Doctor Who MMO Coming This Year

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Doctor Who MMO Coming This Year

The world's most famous time-traveler will finally get his own MMO later this year when the BBC unleashes Doctor Who: Worlds in Time.

What could possibly be a more natural setting for an MMO than the time-traveling, dimension-hopping, galaxy-spanning adventures of Stargate [http://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Who/e/B001CHAJAQ/].) Hop in the Tardis, push a few buttons and you could wind up anywhere from a prehistoric jungle to a gleaming, super-advanced sci-fi city. It's such an obvious fit, and soon you'll have your chance to do just that in the free-to-play MMO Doctor Who: Worlds in Time.

"Doctor Who: Worlds in Time will be a free-to-play multiplayer online game that invites players to save the universe by using their wits to solve time-bending puzzles and pulse-pounding challenges," said BBC Worldwide Executive Vice President Robert Nashak. Players will square off against some of the Doctor's deadliest enemies in the game, which will offer social options and encourage "genuine cooperation" between players around the world.

Doctor Who, for those who don't know, is a long-running BBC science fiction series that's been around since 1963 and has featured numerous actors in the lead role, the best of whom without question was Tom Baker [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K_ffHZAU_4].

Doctor Who: Worlds in Time is being developed by Puzzle Pirates [http://www.threerings.net/], in conjunction with BBC Worldwide, and is expected to come out later this year.

Apr 28, 2008
Will it be free-to-play for those overseas? Or will it cost something like the Adventure Games?

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
I actually liked David Tennet to be honest. I would say careful about opinions in an objective news post.

I'm quite interested in this though

Natdaprat

Sep 10, 2009
Loved the Tom Baker clip hidden in there.

Also, Puzzle Pirates is a decent browser MMO. It has puzzles (obviously) and extremely good team based gameplay. Plus level's are not everything. This could be a good game.

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
Two points:

1. Will Americans have to pay for this free-to-play BBC game?
2. Why bait the Tenant/Eccleston/Smith fans? After all, the only polling that has been done on the question of best doctor found Tennant to be the fan favorite.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Peter Davison ftw. That is all.

I'll reserve judgment until I hear more, but it is a promising idea. I just hope they don't use that awful current logo. His name is not Doctor D.W. Who.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Before I read the article, my cynicism alarm went off at the words "Doctor Who MMO". But seeing how it'll be a puzzle-oriented game, I can see that work. I'd doubt beating up Daleks with a sonic screwdriver would be appealing.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
craddoke said:
2. Why bait the Tenant/Eccleston/Smith fans? After all, the only polling that has been done on the question of best doctor found Tennant to be the fan favorite.
There are Eccleston fans?

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
I'm hoping it will be somewhat better than the adventure games. Also, it would be great if it could cover the old series as well, there's so much history and adventure just begs to be revisited.

DragonsAteMyMarbles

You matter in this world. Smile!
Feb 22, 2009
Hmm. I wonder how that'd work?
Two possibilities spring to mind:

1) You play as [insert species here], either confined to one time (unlikely) or have limited time travel - that is, certain times only. Maybe "gates" leading to time corridors?

2) You play as a generic Time Lord, with your own customisable TARDIS.

The first possibility will disappoint any who wanted to RP as another Doctor, but the second will restrict the whole thing to pre-Time War, which would alienate people who've only seen the newer series.

And while I do love Tom Baker, I have to say Matt Smith and Jon Pertwee are up there as well.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I really need to get around to watching this show from start to finish. Catching an episode here and there just isn't cutting it at getting me hooked.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Irridium said:
Will it be free-to-play for those overseas? Or will it cost something like the Adventure Games?
My thoughts exactly. If they pull the same BS they did with the adventure games (which frankly aren't worth the money, especially episode 3) I'll be staying far away from it.

Still, this is the last franchise I had pegged as an MMO candidate, it just doesn't seem like it would work very well

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Ne1butme said:
craddoke said:
There are Eccleston fans?
Yep, started to stop watching them with Tennent. Smith is meh, although that's not him, but the way his character is being written. It reeks of "make him as much like a younger Tennent as possible!!"

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Oh dear... I think I just found out how to use up all of my free time. Now is the time for me to look into a good gaming laptop. Hmmm...Alienware? *Snerk* Sorry, couldn't resist.

unwesen

May 16, 2009
Fronzel said:
And I can't help but think the Daleks are going to get cheapened as adversaries again.
What do you mean, that the game will be full of stairs?