7554: Vietnam's Call of Duty Coming Next Year

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
7554: Vietnam's Call of Duty Coming Next Year

Vietnamese developer Emobi Games is working on the country's first-ever videogame for worldwide audiences, the Call of Duty-style 7554.

Crash course in history: the 1954 battle of Dien Bien Phu, fought between the communist Viet Minh insurgents and the French Far East Expeditionary Corps, ended in a decisive defeat for the French and quite literally changed the course of Vietnamese history. It signaled the end of French Indochina and set the table for the Vietnam War, making it one of the most pivotal moments in Vietnamese history. Now Emobi games thinks it's time to share it with the rest of the world.

7554 will put players in the boots of a Viet Minh fighter, squaring off against the French forces in the climactic battle of the First Indochina War. The French are better equipped and have a more robust military tradition; the Viet Minh have superior numbers in both soldiers and, unexpectedly, heavy artillery. The title of the game refers to the date that the French surrendered to the Vietnamese: 7 May, 1954.

"We wanted to create a game worthy of the current generation," Emobi Games Director Huy Nguyen Tuan told Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5864287/defeat-the-french-in-vietnams-7554-military-shooter/gallery/1]. "No one in our country has created a current generation title. It was a little bit daunting and also very exciting to be breaking new ground. And when we decide to do it, we choose context that we are proud of. We set out to create a game that pays homage to those who stood up and protected our country. We wanted to make a game about one of our greatest battles, Dien Bien Phu."

A battle between a South-East Asian nation and its former colonial overlord may seem a bit limiting as a videogame setting, not to mention the potentially sticky subject matter, but Huy doesn't think it will be an issue. "Normandy and D-Day are not familiar battles with Vietnamese people, but we really love to play Call of Duty. It's a good game that is fun and challenging to play," he said. "We believe that gamers are accepting of other races, religions and beliefs that are not their own. We set out to make a game that gamers will enjoy playing."

In fact, he claimed it was a French movie about the battle - I'm guessing the 1992 film Dien Bien Phu [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104105/] - that inspired him to make the game and that French "friends" worked on it. "We didn't set out to create a politically touchy game with the French or anyone else. We set out to create a game that we can be proud of," he continued. "It is similar to the first Call of Duty: a fun game set in a historical backdrop. We hope that fans of FPS and military shooters around the world will give 7554 a chance."

The bargain-priced [it will apparently go for $12 at launch] PC-exclusive 7554 comes out in Vietnam on December 16 and is slated for release in North America in February 2012.

Apr 28, 2008
Gamers accepting of other races?

Have you played online on the same server/in the same party full of people from different countries?

Ah well. For $12, I'll check it out I guess.

new_age_reject

Lives in dactylic hexameter.
Dec 28, 2008
I hope the game is an enjoyable shooter. I don't expect it to be as flashy as the current gen of gaming but it will be good to see something from another point of view!

Dr Pussymagnet

a real piece of shit
Dec 20, 2007
Obviously this game looks very shitty if I were to compare it to most games made in the U.S. but hey, the guy seems very excited and enthusiastic about making it so I hope all goes well for them. And hey, you can't go wrong with a price that cheap.
Andy Chalk said:
"We believe that gamers are accepting of other races, religions and beliefs that are not their own."
Yeah...right.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Nice, I'd like to see shooters aim for more unknown conflicts, like the battle of Dien Bien Phu (also it's fun to say). I'd like to see Ia Drang valley or the Burmese conflict as well, but maybe I just love my Indochinese history. Once the Vietnamese get that heavy artillery on the sides of the valley you know everything's going to go to hell.

Ushiromiya Battler

Oddly satisfied
Feb 7, 2010
Finally! A game that doesn't involve us western people going around saving the world!

I'd very much like to play this game if it ever comes out in Europe.
My history senses are tingling!

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
Interesting that this game will be released in North America, seeing as you will be playing in the shoes of what the Americans call, in basic terms, "The bad guys" of the Vietnam conflict.

Also: he has a warped view of the gaming community, espicially on FPS's.

Hell, even half the folk in Blacklight: Retribution are total wankers, and thats still in closed beta.

Jun 11, 2008
I think that the word similar is a bit of an understatement but at ?10ish for essentially a throw back to the good old days of CoD in a different setting and possible different mechanics it seems like it will be worth getting.

baconbaby299

May 7, 2011
For $12 dollars I'll try it. I mean I did like Call of Duty when it was accurate and had a point to it.

Yeah, why not.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Me55enger said:
Interesting that this game will be released in North America, seeing as you will be playing in the shoes of what the Americans call, in basic terms, "The bad guys" of the Vietnam conflict.
Fox News is going to freak out 10x more than they did with Medal of Honor. Brace yourselves everyone.

OT: Looks interesting, playing a game were you're worse equipt suggests a heavy emphasis and guerrilla tactics. Plus this might be the first game ever based on Vietnam were we get the Vietcong side of the story.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
poiumty said:
Andy Chalk said:
Crash course in history: the 1954 battle of Dien Bien Phu, fought between the communist Viet Minh insurgents and the French Far East Expeditionary Corps, ended in a decisive defeat for the French
That bold part must be the most redundant thing I've ever read. I mean, duh.
Is this a 'French surrender monkeys' thing? Or a 'decisive defeat' thing? I'm pretty sure he used decisive because it wasn't just a lost battle, it effectively lost them the war in Vietnam.

verindae

May 22, 2010
Looks interesting, if it hits Europe I may just check it out.
Also did anyone else think the style is reminiscent of Return to Castle Wolfenstein?

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Deviate said:
I'm definitely buying this, even if only to support a military FPS setting that does not automatically put you inside a western knobhead yelling "AMERICA! FUCK YEAH!" every two minutes of gameplay. The western propaganda is getting old by now. This might show a little more respect to the setting of warfare, or at least it's got the potential for it.
To be honest, with Vietnamese censorship laws it's more likely that it'll just be 'VIETNAM, FUCK YEAH!' instead of America. Which is still an interesting alternative nonetheless.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
This is among the first FPS games in a long time that I actually have an interest in. Less for the gameplay and more for the story.

Really?

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
this is great, now make me a game where i am some poor japanese soldier in WW2 who is in possession of a bag of letters (just soldiers writing home) and tries to get this off the island before the whole thing gets bombed to kingdom come. Oh and have me shoot chinese civilians in a flashback. and at the end, when he dies the allied soldier find the letters, make fun of the symbols and decide to use them as toilet paper.

ok...
i got a little carried away there.