7554: Vietnam's Call of Duty Coming Next Year

Angry_squirrel

Mar 26, 2011
Sadly the gameplay looks like a dated Call of Duty. I hope for their sake it sells though, it is only $12 I suppose.
I really wish they'd tried something original in terms of the gameplay though, the setting sounds so damn good.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
teebeeohh said:
Volf99 said:
teebeeohh said:
this is great, now make me a game where i am some poor japanese soldier in WW2 who is in possession of a bag of letters (just soldiers writing home) and tries to get this off the island before the whole thing gets bombed to kingdom come. Oh and have me shoot chinese civilians in a flashback. and at the end, when he dies the allied soldier find the letters, make fun of the symbols and decide to use them as toilet paper.

ok...
i got a little carried away there.
no, Germany should get a game first. Japan already has it too easy with how their viewed in regards to WW2.
how does Japan have it too easy? because they just put their fingers into their ears and go lalalalalalalala whenever WW2 comes up and get away with it?

but us Germans don't need a game, we already own every Strategy game set in WW2 because people everywhere agree that we did build the best weapons, now if only Hitler wasn't a total retard who possibly had Syphilis.
I guess I should explain myself. I'm American and every time we went over WW2 in junior high and highschool, Germany was ALWAYS portrait as a country where everybody was "evil" and hated Jews, while Japan was always portrait as being a victim because we dropped two atom bombs. I call bullsh*t, Japan did things to Korean women and Chinese people in Nanjing, that would make joseph mengele blush. However that is never talked about, instead all that is focused on is how Germany=evil and Japan=victim. What needs to be done, is finally having games show a fair depiction of Nazi's because not every nazi was some Jewish hating monster and it seems wrong to depict them in such a evil manner *cough* Nazi zombies *cough*. [/rant]

Feb 9, 2011
Looks a little dated, but that's never bothered me much when it came to video games in the past, so I might look into this when it comes out.

Arif_Sohaib

Jan 16, 2011
I know they are making this on a small budget, but I do hope to see some story about the war here and cues for the probable sequel about the Vietnam War, as well as character development(in terms of personal story) that leads on into the next game.
If they can't do that then they should try smaller games first and when they prove their capability, they should get proper funding and support from experienced developers and do this properly, because this is subject that deserves to be done well and big name American companies are not going to line up to do it.

I do want to get into the game development industry and make a game about the 1857 war of independence/ Sepoy mutiny but I would not rush into it like this.

That said, I am really looking forward to this.

Couch Radish

Mar 28, 2011
I'm getting tired of shooters like Call of Duty and Battlefield, but I really want to check this out. It'll be interesting to see a game like that from a Vietnamese perspective.

And the game isn't all "AMERICA" like CoD and BF are most of the time.

Arif_Sohaib

Jan 16, 2011
Everyone complaining about the dated looks, remember their lack of budget and experience(Activision had years to polish themselves before COD 4 and some had already worked on Medal of Honor 1 before COD 1).
This is their first effort so be gentle on them.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Octogunspunk said:
I think there should be a lot more of this, games which portray historical events from a different perspective. As other posters have said, let's have a game in which you play as German or Japanese soldiers in WWII. It doesn't need to be all losses, either. The initial Axis aggression would be quite enjoyable game material.

However, I'm not so fond of military fps games in general these days. This game will probably be quite boring.
I agree.

I'm sure the blitzkrieg against Poland would be fun to play as. Just huge mobs of tanks and airplanes all over the place.

darthotaku

Aug 20, 2010
well I was going to chime in with a "finally it's not an american" but I seem to have been beaten to it. Some rightwing nutjob will hear about a game where you play the vietnamise and suddenly there'll be a huge uprising about games being immoral or whatever. I for one can't wait to see how the modern fps game looks from a different culteral perspective.

Agent Larkin

Apr 6, 2009
Ok that looks pretty fun. I'm probably going to pick it upo if it gets released in Europe.

My only nitpick is the historical accuracy of some of the weapons but I'll let it slide seen as how this is isn't an established franchise.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
Was that a luger the player was using? My airsoft sidearm
is a luger!:D Its a piece of shit.

Yeah,I think I'll not be buying this. Bad enough that every game my brother owns is a variation of CoD and Battlefield without me buying them as well.

Agent Larkin

Apr 6, 2009
Random berk said:
Was that a luger the player was using? My airsoft sidearm
is a luger!:D Its a piece of shit.

Yeah,I think I'll not be buying this. Bad enough that every game my brother owns is a variation of CoD and Battlefield without me buying them as well.
Japanese Nambu pistol not Luger.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
I would give it a shot, why not? Its not expensive, the guys who made it still have an innocent ignorance about most FPS gamers and they do seem to give a crap.

WayOutThere

Aug 1, 2009
Looks like a damn fine game and great change of pace for the FPS genre. I definitely want to support it.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
It's different enough that I will at least consider purchase. I get tired of playing as a perfect American soldier.

shrimpcel

Sep 5, 2011
I don't like how during the whole article it seems like the developers are almost saying they're sorry for developing such a "controversial" game and that they hope nobody will be offended by it. Dozens of American games where you shoot non-Americans come out every month, but nobody ever complains about that.

Idocreating

Apr 16, 2009
If it has a Steam achievement that has something to do with getting French enemies to surrender, it's an automatic buy for me.

GaltarDude1138

Jan 19, 2011
Major_Tom said:
Appropriate era weapons (did I see a Nambu? The fuck?), if this was done by Treyarch everyone would wield XM8s, ACRs and SCARs complete with ACOGs and under-barrel flamethrowers.
Underbarreled flamethrowers are, however, admittedly cool...And besides, when was CoD ever historically accurate in the first place?

OT:Looks interesting. And looks like the kind of thing people who like CoD but want to do their own spin on it would do.

EDIT: And I have one more question. Why is there an MP40 in the game?