Battlefield 3 Teaser Demonstrates Proper Anti-Sniper Demolition

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Battlefield 3 Teaser Demonstrates Proper Anti-Sniper Demolition

Enemy snipers getting you down? Battlefield 3 says: Blow up their building with a rocket launcher!

Every gamer knows that enemy snipers are a real pain in the neck. You can be running along, perfectly minding your own business shooting Bad Guys, when boom - you take a bullet right to the head, and you never saw it coming. Stupid campers, am I right?

This teaser trailer for DICE's upcoming Battlefield 3 demonstrates two things: First, it shows that the game's Frostbite 2 engine is very, very pretty (and that there's a reason it won't run on Windows XP [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106591-Battlefield-3-Relieving-Windows-XP-From-Duty]). Second, the best way to deal with an enemy sniper is a rocket launcher.

[video=2920]

I'm not sure about that, myself. Oh, there's no doubt that the rocket launcher blast looks impressive - particularly if that's a real-time blast and not just a scripted event - but I find myself wondering why they even needed to locate the sniper in the first place if they were packing that firepower? It looks like it brings the entire building down around him!

Oh well, you know what they say: You can't make an omelette without blowing up a few buildings, or something like that. Either way, those are some very nice-looking DX11 military men, and that enemy sniper couldn't hit the broad side of a 747.

(Via Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/overkill-much-more-battlefield-3-footage-196526.phtml])

Jul 22, 2009
Those graphics are sexy... and good to see the Frostbite engine is getting even more upgrades! :3

Being the immense Battlefield fanboy that I am, I'll be getting this on console and on PC.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
The best, easiest and most brilliant to solve the problem of an annoying camper!

GamerLuck

Questionably Opinionated
Jul 13, 2009
That Sniper sucked... Wasted all that ammo, didn't hit a single one of them. Deserved what he got I say :<

Gibboniser

Jan 9, 2011
Good lord, that destruction rivals Red Factions, nom! If the poor sniper had known that, he probably wouldn't have kept attempting 360 no scopes.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Generally untrained snipers aren't mega accurate. Awesome destruction though, and prettyness.
Upgrading my PC just for this and Skyrim.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Still need some work, good to know that its pre-aplha.

When they give the rocket launcher look at the lower right corner, look at the gun near the ammo count HUD (in one frame you can even see the "empty" side of the model, you can se the floor) It still needs some tweaks.

The crawling animation also has some problems, it looks out of place, especially with the launcher.

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
As the dust settles and your ears stop ringing, a short message in small red text appears in the corner of your HUD:

"NOOB! No RPG on players!"

Aethren

Jun 6, 2009
There's no way destructible buildings and objects will survive to multi-player.

VZLANemesis

Jan 29, 2009
That explotion looks extremely scripted, and the explotion was way too big for a simple rpg. But the game looks awesome and I hope it looks even remotely that good on consoles. Those soldiers looked extremely realistic.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
See, the Frostbite engine is why I'll always love Battlefield. I don't care if I don't have a job by the time this comes out, I WILL play this game.
GamerLuck said:
That Sniper sucked... Wasted all that ammo, didn't hit a single one of them. Deserved what he got I say :<
Well given that the game is trying to be realistic, that Sniper was just suppressing them, which need I remind you is very useful in battle. It's been stated that for each insurgent killed roughly 250,000 shots are used for suppression.
Aethren said:
There's no way destructible buildings and objects will survive to multi-player.
Well if you play a good round of BC2 you'll know they almost NEVER do.

GWarface

Jun 3, 2010
This looks just wickedly awesome, but one thing that put me off was that ugly crawl animation.. His arms looks weird and stretched..

But im gonna buy it anyways...

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
The whole scene looks extremely scripted.

Why was the sniper giving supressing fire all by himself?

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Didn't look that good.

*sigh* I suppose I will have to upgrade to Windows 7 or Vista in the near future :/

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
I'm assuming this was campaign, I bet that sort of destruction won't last into multi.

I'm still buying it.