Bethesda Shows Off Monsters, Magic and Stealth Kills in New Skyrim Screens

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Bethesda Shows Off Monsters, Magic and Stealth Kills in New Skyrim Screens

Exploration, magic, and flying, spectral ice serpents have probably never looked so good.

Bethesda has released a bounty of new Skyrim [http://www.amazon.com/Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim-Xbox-360/dp/B004HYK956/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301671355&sr=8-1 ] screenshots for the delectation of Elder Scrolls fans. The images show everything from a picturesque mountain lake, to what looks like an orc getting shanked in the gut by a hooded assailant.

[gallery=177]

Skyrim is set in the frozen north of Tamriel, and continues the Elder Scrolls story after the events of Oblivion. It has been two centuries since the Mythic Dawn cult tried to bring the Daedric Prince Mehrunes Dagon to Cyrodiil, and since then, the Empire has gone into a sharp decline. In the middle of a Nord civil war, the great dragon Alduin - also known as the World Eater - returns to fulfill the prophecy fortold in the Elder Scrolls. Naturally, the player is the only one who can stop Alduin, and prevent it from devouring everyone.

As you can see from the screens, Skyrim is looking pretty impressive, especially for a game that doesn't come out for another seven months. They're a great mix of the sort of things you can expect to do in the game, from exploring caves - and running into unexpected trouble - to climbing mountains, to stealthy engagements that end badly for the other party.

Skyrim comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on November 11th.

Chronologist

Feb 28, 2010
Good god yes.

November 11th onward I think I might just take off work... for research purposes. Yes, yes... (maniacal laughter).

MrJKapowey

Oct 31, 2010
Is it just me or do those screens look almost exactly like some of the sections of the gameplay trailer?

EDIT: I thought it was a goblin getting stabbed. Too thin to be an orc.

Xyphon

Jun 17, 2009
From the skin tone, it looks to be a Dark Elf getting stabbed.

OT: The wait is going to be killer if they keep releasing little tidbits like this. November just can't come fast enough... :[

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
They keep on showing us screenshots of Kevin Sorbo roaming around Tamriel.

Wait...no one gets a Kevin Sorbo reference anymore. That's probably a good thing.

Apr 28, 2008
Scrumpmonkey said:
Is it me or do those screens look depresingly like Gamebryo?
A little of both maybe. I can see a resemblance, but when I start up Oblivion/New Vegas, then look at these... yeah, these look much better.

I just hope its more stable than Gamebryo. Or, actually stable.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
-unravels scroll-

1. I want this to look this good on my console

2. I want Bloodmoon references and materials

3. I want to know that armor set...

4. Fkin Zombies

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Looks really good. Nothing too fancy on those screenies, but nice nonetheless.
Straying Bullet said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
Is it me or do those screens look depresingly like Gamebryo?
Don't worry about it. Gamebyro has been rid of, judging from the in-game footage/screenshots [ Which are rendered on a XBOX360, btw ] this is one gorgeous looking game.
True, but we'll never see the likes of this again:
Gamebryo, we'll miss your insanity.

Okay maybe we won't, but you sure produced some hilarious stuff.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Okay, animated stealth kills, please be awesome.
These pictures are quite pretty indeed. Dammit, i can't stand it, I've being pulled into the Hype Zone.
And now I'm really, really hyped...

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
No, the real April Fools joke would be if Bethesda released a game that doesn't crash all the fucking time.