Gears 3 Won't Leave You Hanging, But it Won't Tell the Whole Story

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Gears 3 Won't Leave You Hanging, But it Won't Tell the Whole Story

Marcus Fenix's story will conclude in Gears of War 3, but the game's universe will go on.

Since the very first trailers for Gears of War 3, Epic has been promoting the game as The End for the COGs and their support. This is it; this is where it all finishes. Speaking with CVG, Gears 3 executive producer Rod Fergusson confirmed that this was a game designed to give fans the grand finale they were hoping for: "[Gears 3 will] answer all of the questions, bring the story to a closure and go out with a huge bang."

However, that doesn't mean that the universe (and rather lucrative franchise) of Gears of War 3 is over and done with. "We're not blowing up the world so Sera and the Gears universe will live on," said Fergusson, though he stressed that Epic was aiming for an ending that fans would be satisfied with.

"[We] didn't want to betray our customers and community by having a cliff-hanger ending where you're like 'argh I just got duped, now I've gotta wait until the next game,'" he explained. "We're not going to reveal everything because we want some mystique left in our universe, but this is the Marcus Fenix story and people should feel satisfied after playing through that."

Epic could perhaps take a few pointers from fellow Xbox-360-exclusive series Halo. 2007's Halo 3 neatly concluded the saga of the Master Chief (albeit with a post-credits sequel hook), but Bungie went on to tell two more stories in the Halo universe with ODST and Reach.

Hell, I think a Gears prequel about Emergence Day could actually pretty cool, now that I'm giving it some thought.

(Via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/296840/news/epic-the-gears-universe-will-live-on-but-we-wont-leave-you-on-a-cliff-hanger/])

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
well. gotta keep the cash cows a goin' y'know?

i wish SOMEONE would just complete a videogame story for once with absolutely NOTHING left to tell.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
As long as Gears 3 ends without a cliff hanger, Im fine with branching the story line off.

Theres nothing wrong with leaving a few loose ends the can be built on. Having a universe devoid of mystery just kills the appeal some games hold. Gears, although not the most thought provoking, was one of those games that held my attention with its story, characters, and gameplay.

Just dont give us some bullshit ending that can be interpreted as "theres gonna be a Gears 4". Kinda like what Halo 3 did. They gave no closure to his story.

j0frenzy

Dec 26, 2008
Just one thing: please fix the massive typo in the title. I can only assume that Gear 3 Won't Leave me hanging, as opposed to Live me hanging.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
John Funk said:
Gears 3 Won't Live You Hanging, But it Won't Tell the Whole Story
I believe it should be "won't leave you hanging", or is there some pun I'm missing?

OT: I'm fine with this. It's not like we have to stop making stories that take place on earth when a story that does is finished.

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
Uber Waddles said:
As long as Gears 3 ends without a cliff hanger, Im fine with branching the story line off.

Theres nothing wrong with leaving a few loose ends the can be built on. Having a universe devoid of mystery just kills the appeal some games hold. Gears, although not the most thought provoking, was one of those games that held my attention with its story, characters, and gameplay.

Just dont give us some bullshit ending that can be interpreted as "theres gonna be a Gears 4". Kinda like what Halo 3 did. They gave no closure to his story.
I agree 100%

If they are going to use the Gears 1-3 story as a launching point for future stories I'm totally fine with that but don't give us a cock-tease ending with some shit like "Oh ya, you can totally find out what happens if you buy our comics, watch the movie, and then play the next game we will make!"

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
John Funk said:
Gears 3 Won't Live You Hanging, But it Won't Tell the Whole Story
Okay, not meaning to sound petty or anything, but shouldn't that be "Leave you hanging"?

Edit: Ninja'd.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Long as they finish off the story right and answer everything pertaining to the Fenix story, then I will be happy and look forward to whatever else is set in the universe.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
a gears game about E-day could be fun as could a game about the pendulum(i think) wars, although this would be a very different game, no locust, no doomed civilization but the lancer.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Veloxe said:
Uber Waddles said:

I agree 100%

If they are going to use the Gears 1-3 story as a launching point for future stories I'm totally fine with that but don't give us a cock-tease ending with some shit like "Oh ya, you can totally find out what happens if you buy our comics, watch the movie, and then play the next game we will make!"
It would also be nice if the story for this one didn't consist of "What the hell is that?!", "What's going on?!", "Mariaaaaa! WAAAAH!"

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Azaraxzealot said:

i wish SOMEONE would just complete a videogame story for once with absolutely NOTHING left to tell.
That makes no sense and would please absolutely NO ONE who likes the universe.

OT: Good enough.

Jul 22, 2009
Prequels and spin-offs are always acceptable in my mind.

Close of Marcus' story, then maybe a few years later a prequel game for the Pendulum wars or Emergence day, or give a complete spin ff game where you play as one of the stranded trying to make a life in one of their camps.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
JourneyThroughHell said:
Azaraxzealot said:

eh? i didn't mean gears of war. but standalone or independent IPs definitely

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Questions I want answered:

What's on the disk Baird is trying to crack?
Where did the Locust come from?
Where did the Lambent come from?
What is Prescott hiding?
Why is Andrew still alive?
What information did Andrew have that caused Marcus to bail?
Why does the Locust Queen know Marcus and his father?
What were the Sires meant for?

Answer all those questions, and I'll be happy with the ending. I have my own theories--such as humans created the Locust or caused the Lambent infection--but I want to see if I'm right on any of them. Also, I'd like Dom to find out that his children are still alive somewhere, though I doubt we'll get to see that.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Azaraxzealot said:
JourneyThroughHell said:
Azaraxzealot said:

eh? i didn't mean gears of war. but standalone or independent IPs definitely
Well, I kinda know, that was more of a response to the "cash cow" comment that is not particularly called for in this situation.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Soylent Bacon said:
Hell, I think a Gears prequel about Emergence Day could actually pretty cool, now that I'm giving it some thought.
I can already imagine the people shouting "Halo: Reach ripoff!"
Oh, Gears is already borrowing HEAVILY from Halo in my opinion. Enemies that you fought in the first game turn out to have their own civil war going on in the second game, a life form that infects other creatures, causing them to turn into killing machines that don't feel pain as much, and let's not forget that the Sires LOOK like Flood.
I swear, if we end up teaming up with the Locust in the third game, I'm going to bang my head against a wall.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
JourneyThroughHell said:
Azaraxzealot said:

Real endings arent supposed to be fan pleasers. Its just against thier nature.

OT: A prequel would be interesting, but i wish they would just backstab M$ already and port the trilogy to the PS3.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
gigastar said:
JourneyThroughHell said:
Azaraxzealot said:

Real endings arent supposed to be fan pleasers. Its just against thier nature.
Elaborate.

'Cause I don't see how that makes any sense.