Mass Effect 3's Shepard Isn't Afraid of a Good Brawl

Scott Bullock

Nov 11, 2010
Mass Effect 3's Shepard Isn't Afraid of a Good Brawl

A pile of new ME3 info has been released, revealing Shepard's newfound appreciation for fisticuffs, some new locations, and Space Ninjas.

After seeing the MarcaPlayer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/2624-Mass-Effect-3-Earth-Trailer] is to be believed, New York City will also be featured (because it's pretty much a requirement to destroy NYC every chance you get) in the game.

In addition to finally having access to our own blue marble, you will also get to spend some time on Mars, on the Salarian home planet, and on a Quarian moon. And once you're there, a new class, focusing on heavy melee attacks, will allow you to dish out punishment on much more up-close and personal manner by utilizing new punches, kicks, and whatever a "SWAT turn" is. In addition to the new class, the existing Engineer class is getting the ability to build turrets in the heat of battle, which will no doubt spawn an endless stream of TeamFortress 2 references.

Shepard really just becomes a little more physical all around. The combat is said to be sped up by 10-15 percent compared to the last game, leading to faster, more intense combat. To help you survive, a new set of moves including jumps, dodges, and rolls can be used to get you into cover before you succumb to large amounts lead perforating your torso.

Damage will now be dynamic, so your attacks will have more of a visible affect on your enemies, and "hitting the weak spot for massive damage" will become an option against some types of enemy units, like Cerberus's mech walkers.

Speaking of Cerberus, the pro-human qasi-terrorist organization is back, and chain-smoking head honcho The Illusive Man is pissed at you for unexplained reasons. So along with fighting Reapers, Husks, and who-knows-what else, you're going to have to contend with Cerberus mechs, assault units, and shock troops bearing a striking resemblance to ninjas.

Back from the first installment are weapon mods, which will not only alter the damage your weapon deals, but its look as well. While the mods won't be quite as prevalent as they were in the first game, there will be five or so mods available for each part of the weapon.

Finally, perhaps the most exciting (and to me, potentially the coolest) part; unconfirmed reports that space battles will be possible. If I could take command of the Normandy and start yelling things like "Hard to starboard!" while Joker pew-pews some Reaper mooks, that would be ... well, that'd just be great.

So there you have it. Space battles, space boxing, space ninjas, and dynamic space damage, if everything was translated from the original spanish correctly. The game will be out November 8th of this year for the 360 and PS3.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-04-20-new-heavy-melee-class-for-mass-effect-3]

Arachon

Jun 23, 2008
Scott Bullock said:
In addition to the new class, the existing Engineer class is getting the ability to build turrets in the heat of battle, which will no doubt spawn an endless stream of TeamFortress 2 references.
Oh God... I can see it now...

Ah, yes... "Sappers", a device allegedly capable of disabling any piece of machinery. We've dismissed that claim.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
For a brief moment I thought you meant they were adding Shepard to the (as in "SSB") Brawl. I was disappointed :(

Also a "SWAT Turn" is a method of crossing small doorways stealthily, It's in some of the Splinter Cell games.

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
And so we see what was once a promising and intelligent franchise descend into populism and stupidity. All for the "awesome", of course.

Mysten

Sep 28, 2008
Garrus has always been one for snappy combat dialogue ("Impressive! Scoped and dropped!"), I wonder if he's going to be getting a new line to add to his repertoire for dealing with Cerberus walkers...

"Massive damage!"

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
50 bucks says the Illusive Man was indoctrinated by Reaper tech salvaged from the base.

(Weather it was destroyed or not)

See this is why I blew up the fucking place, prolonged exposure to the Reaper Larva remains would have ended the same way as the Derelict Reaper.

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
I wonder what kind of ass-pull they're going to use to turn the Illusive Man against Shepard. I figure he has to be pretty happy about Renegade Shep, having a shiny new Collector base thanks to him after all. As for me, I'm glad I saved the Council first time around because ME3 will hopefully provide the opportunity to rub their faces in this.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Punchy Punchy Shepard, do want!
Mainly to see how they can work a more melee focused class into the system.

God's Clown

Aug 8, 2008
Way to only say 360 and PS3. Let's forget about us folks who prefer our Mass Effect on the PC.

Space ninja's are cool though. I hope I get to punch Illusive Man in the face.

Two Angels

Dec 25, 2009
Scrumpmonkey said:
You had me at "space ninjas"
They had me at "Mass Effect 3"!

Can't wait for this, will be getting whatever the most expensive edition is just because! Though will have to complete this in three days before I get lost in Skyrim!

BlueSinbad

Oct 18, 2010
Meh....I played the first two, but meh, I'll probably play this one, but meh...I'm losing interest in a LOT of games...'tis a sad say.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
So The Illusive Man is going to be pissed at you regardless?

I never choose for the "salvage the Collector base" ending, but wouldn't that choice make him all happy and squishy with Shepard, or is there something I'm missing?

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
This sounds like Gears of War almost. Not sure how a feel about that, but I see they're also bringing back weapon mods, so perhaps they have found the correct balance. Very excited about this game nonetheless.
And really, Cerberus? How many of your people did I waste in the first game? I saved the universe, destroyed a Reaper, have the most advanced ship, and even CAME BACK FROM THE DEAD. Do you honestly think you stand a CHANCE against me? More importantly, do you honestly still take orders from the Illusive man after seeing everything that I've done? Brain dead morons.

Off Topic: Did Yahtzee also point out today in Crysis 2 that New York is meant to be destroyed over and over? Clearly there is a secret plot to destroy this city's moral.

Apr 28, 2008
Oh goodie. We get to go to another god damn New York City.

I'm fucking sick of New York. Can we please explore other destroyed cities please? Like Berlin, or Paris, or Chicago, or Montreal, or anyplace else?

Bah, my bitching aside, better melee combat makes me excited. And hopefully they make Soldier/Adept/Engineer/Sentinal more interesting to play. Engie turret sounds neat, but I hope the others have more interesting abilities.