8 JRPGs Better Than Final Fantasy 7

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
8 JRPGs Better Than Final Fantasy 7

Final Fantasy 7 may have been a hugely important game in the JRPG genre, but I think we can do better.

Read Full Article

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
While I can understand why, I don't like that Final Fantasy VII has been retrospectively considered "overrated." I grew up with the SNES era of Final Fantasy, and I still consider FF7 second only to Final Fantasy V.

In fact, the only title on that list I can agree with being better than FF7 is Persona 4.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
You forgot Suikoden 2, your list is flawed.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
I agree with most everything on this particular list...surprisingly.

However, for my personal choice, I would've replaced Skies of Arcadia with Wild ARMs. And that's due to the fact that, not only does the game has a wonderful story, but the music and the intro were unbelievable.

Also, some surprise for showing no love to the Mana series; especially Secret of Mana. Man, too many good JRPGs to trump FF7, imo. Q.Q

And Man

May 12, 2014
Not to be rude, but the amount of typos and grammatical errors in this article is ridiculous. I can overlook an error or two in an article, but when there are multiple errors on each page, and each page only has one paragraph of text, it comes off as very unprofessional.

OT: I never owned a PS1, so the only titles on the list that I've played are Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, and Persona 4 (I never owned a SNES either, but I have Chrono Trigger for the DS and Super Mario RPG on my Wii). Persona 4 is one of my favorite RPGs, but another game I wouldn't have minded seeing on the list is Dragon Quest VIII.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Wouldn't agree with Chrono Cross, FFVI or Xenogears, personally. Especially Chrono Cross; the game was beautiful with an amazing score but neither the gameplay nor the story grabbed me. I liked Xenogears and FFVI but I liked Final Fantasy VII better. I basically agree with the rest of the list, though I never played Super Mario RPG or Skies of Arcadia (though I'm planning on getting it for my Dreamcast soon).

I actually think Final Fantasy VII has managed to become so over-rated it's now under-rated. The hype backlash is ridiculously powerful.

Some games I would have listed would be:

Phantasy Star IV because
Alys' death was way more heart-rending than Aeriths's

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, which is my favourite game ever. You could add just about any SMT game here, though.

Grandia, but only because of its gameplay; story does its job but isn't too memorable

Final Fantasy Tactics, since we're counting SRPGS; for my money it's the best game in the franchise and it isn't even close.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Other JRPGs of note:

The story is interesting enough, but the key aspects of this RPG are the outstanding music and Visual Novel sections where you dive into your companions' subconscious. The magic system is also somewhat novel, as your magic using companions will channel the chosen spell/song until they run out MP or get hit by an enemy(you can guard your spellcaster to prevent that).

Again, the story is serviceable, and a bit dark at times, but it isn't why it makes my list. Legend of Legaia is notable for it's combo-based fighting mechanic. Instead of simply choosing an opponent and attacking it, you input a combination of attacks targeting specific parts of the opponent's body(left, right, high and low). Specific combinations activate special moves. It's pretty much a fighting game as viewed through the lens of a JRPG developer.

Epic story, actiony combat(similar to the Tales games), crafting, 86 freaking endings... Seriously, if you haven't played this game, do.

There's a lot of other games I could add(like some of the above mentioned Tales games), but I think that should do nicely for my contribution.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011

Graphically superior to FFVII, which is no surprise, since it came out after FFVIII. I personally found the combat more engaging than either of those games. The plot is perhaps just as convoluted, but that in itself seems to be more of a summary of JRPG plotlines in general. At any rate, it is a shame that the brand has faded into obscurity. God knows we could use a better localization than the pisspoor one we got.

I believe Golden Sun also technically qualifies as a JRPG - I'm willing to vouch for that one in a heartbeat.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
CHRONO CROSS!?!?!?!?!
O, yes...THAT'S just...wow.
FANTASTIC! I love CC over FF7 ANY day.
<3

I'd agree that FF8 is also better than FF7.
It's combat is better, the music is beyond superior, and even the cast is more enjoyable.
-Never mind Triple Triad, which is one of the best mini-games...EVER.

Also, because this video is STILL relevant...even after all these years.

Plus his follow up video:

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Ah, Final Fantasy VI, the game with a main villain so bland that he needed entirely rewritten when the game was localized (and Woolsey's version became canon). The game whose heroes' only real motive throughout the game is that they're the protagonists.

I adore Final Fantasy VI's mechanics. I think the gameplay is easily the most solid the franchise ever saw. But the story and characters just never did it for me. Even at his best, Kefka was little more than a poor Joker knock-off, and I could never find any reason to care about the heroes.

I think a lot of the flack Final Fantasy VII gets is because of an awful English translation. It's pretty evident, comparing Michael Baskett's official localization to the original, that he didn't really understand the plot. Not that I blame him; the game's data files are a complete mess, and you'd pretty much need to be intimately familiar with the game before even starting a localization to compensate for awkward technical design and translate it correctly.

It's a shame, if you ask me. Final Fantasy VII has a lot of depth to the characters that most non-Japanese players will never know. And all that clone/memory loss stuff actually makes sense when translated correctly!

P.S. Thanks

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Seriously, 8? I can think of 20. Anyway, some cool games some I haven't played yet, I might do so.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
So much console, so little PC. :(

Is there any really good JRPG that a PC gamer can get (without needing to use emulation, which is pretty dicey both technically and legally)? I've always been an RPG fan, from the old D&D games to the likes of "Fallout" and "Elder Scrolls". JRPGs are something that's missing from my experience.

croc3629

Mar 20, 2011
Dragon Quest 8 is also another JRPG I would put forward as being better than FF7.

Still though, the only Final Fantasy that I like better than 7 is 9(I love that game so much). 6 was a nice adventure, but Kefka didn't really turn out to be all that interesting to me, and I did not connect with the cast of heroes as much as I would have liked. I'm also one of those maniacs who honestly enjoyed chocobo breeding and racing in the Gold Saucer.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
TheMadDoctorsCat said:
So much console, so little PC. :(

Is there any really good JRPG that a PC gamer can get (without needing to use emulation, which is pretty dicey both technically and legally)? I've always been an RPG fan, from the old D&D games to the likes of "Fallout" and "Elder Scrolls". JRPGs are something that's missing from my experience.
A significant chunk of this list [http://store.steampowered.com/tag/en/JRPG/] is good, and all of it is on PC. But uh, maybe avoid The Last Remnant; great game, abysmal PC port.

P.S. Thanks

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
There are a whole lot of JRPGs that are better than FFVII.
Dragon Quest V, VI, VIII, & IX
Tales of Symphonia
Final Fantasy VI
Star Ocean: Till End of Time

Granfaloon

Apr 25, 2013
Glad to see Xenogears on this list, I can definitely agree with that. One of the best RPGs of all time imo.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
Mahorfeus said:
I think I like you, though you did ninja me on that.

OT: Seeing the list open with Skies made me so damned happy, I loved the hell out of that game. Though as before stated, missing Legend of Dragoon is pretty bad.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy XII, Dragon Quest 8, Chrono Trigger, The World Ends With You, Final Fantasy IV, Dragon Quest 5.

There are 8 I like more. Not that hard.