8 Reasons Why Games Workshop Hates You

WMDogma

New member
Jul 28, 2009
1,374
0
0
8 Reasons Why Games Workshop Hates You

Games Workshop is one of the biggest tabletop game makers around, popular for publishing Warhammer 40,000 and Warhammer. But sadly, some of its decisions seem to suggest it doesn't like making its fans happy.

Read Full Article
 

deathbydeath

New member
Jun 28, 2010
1,363
0
0
This is like 1d4chan except without all the memes and colorful language, good job.
WMDogma said:
But now that they've gotten their own codex, they've become ridiculously overpowered and unbalanced in both the tabletop game and their lore.
Come on, Castellan Crowe wasn't that bad. He was the only good bit of lore in that book, but he was still pretty good.
 

Sourman

New member
Mar 25, 2012
24
0
0
Hand to the Emperor, I really don't get why people hate so much on the Ultramarines. They are supposed to be the generic space marine chapter, aren't they? The other chapters get cool unique characteristics, and the Ultramarines are just vanilla. Or am I reading this wrong?
 

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
10,400
0
0
What bugs me the most is that I'm trying to get into the novel series, but lots of them only have the first novel and whichever's the latest at the moment in print. I have to buy used copies or overpriced new ones.
 

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
7,507
0
1
Thankfully I don't get too screwed over by Black Library by only investing in one series (Horus Heresy) so the prices don't hurt me too much.

Also Grey Knights aren't as bad now on the tabletop now that some other Codexes have been updated to their level. In the lore they are OP as shit though.

Sourman said:
Hand to the Emperor, I really don't get why people hate so much on the Ultramarines. They are supposed to be the generic space marine chapter, aren't they? The other chapters get cool unique characteristics, and the Ultramarines are just vanilla. Or am I reading this wrong?
It's because that they are all Mary-Sues and can do no wrong or be corrupted by anything and the vision that all Space Marines should aspire to. As an example, this is what the first line of the Warhammer 40k Wiki has to say on them;

The Ultramarines are considered one of the strongest and most honoured of all the Space Marine Chapters in the Imperium of Man, and were responsible for almost single-handedly holding the Imperium together after the Horus Heresy.
Apparently. You know, none of those other 8 Legions did anything at all while the Ultramarines were being trolled by the Alpha Legion playing the best game of hide and seek on the Eastern side of the Galaxy...

As a big fan of the Horus Heresy series, I can say that the Ultramarines are extremely interesting pre-Heresy. They are much more flawed (even their Primarch himself) and varied in their characters than they are in the 40K times. Sergeant Aeonid Thiel FTW.

deathbydeath said:
This is like 1d4chan except without all the memes and colorful language, good job.
1d4chan is fantastic. I keep finding new articles I haven't read even though I keep thinking I've read the entire 40k section
 

PMAvers

New member
May 27, 2009
69
0
0
Although I think probably the best thing they've done recently is letting Fantasy Flight play with the IPs to make new games. Like the recently announced Conquest [http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=261&enmi=Warhammer%2040,000:%20Conquest], or Space Hulk: Death Angel [http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=118&enmi=Death%20Angel], the RPG lines, Blood Bowl: Team Manager [http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=130&enmi=Blood%20Bowl:%20Team%20Manager], Warhammer: Diskwars [http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=246&enmi=Warhammer:%20Diskwars], Chaos in the Old World [http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=84&enmi=Chaos%20in%20the%20Old%20World], etc.
 
Aug 31, 2012
1,776
0
0
The Baneblade, which is the most bad-ass super-heavy tank in all of the Imperium, and possibly all of science fiction, and it only has eleven freaking guns?! What the heck, GW! You could totally fit more on there!
They did. It was called the Stormhammer. 15 bolters, 4 lascannons and 4 short range battle cannons.
 

008Zulu_v1legacy

New member
Sep 6, 2009
6,019
0
0
What, no personal shout-out to Matt Ward? The troll who singly handed gave us the Grey Knights and Ultrasmurfs, and nerfed in to dust every other race that posed a threat to them?
 

Mydnyght

New member
Feb 17, 2010
714
0
0
One more thing about Storm of Vengeance... guess who developed it?

Give up?

The makers of THIS game, of course!
 

WMDogma

New member
Jul 28, 2009
1,374
0
0
...people actually bought the Necromunda characters..?
The most fun part about it was altering your miniatures after each session, so they'd reflect the changes after battle and purchases.

I used the Catachan plastic models along with lots of bits from other sets. I also made a Tau infiltration "gang" (yeah, it's silly, I know) for the heck of it. One guy got so pissed off at me for using it that he refused to play.
It's one thing to be a fan or even a fanboy, it's entirely another to be so focused on something that you're incapable of having fun with the game if it isn't all according to your own head.
 

WMDogma

New member
Jul 28, 2009
1,374
0
0
Bit late on the Grey Knights. They aren't top tier anymore, that spot has been taken by Tau with Eldar allies (Taudar, as the internets call it). Both the benefits of marker lights, and the Eldar buff spells! Gah, whoever thought throwing Battle Brothers around the allies matrix like so much candy should be shot.

Totally agree on the Caiphas Cain front. He is one of the most accessible characters they have, as he doesn't take anything too seriously and can be rather funny as well. they could be expanding their audience with him quite easily.
 

WMDogma

New member
Jul 28, 2009
1,374
0
0
Ciaphas Cain is the best character? CIAPHAS CAIN? I'M SORRY, I COULDN'T HEAR YOU OVER TARKUS's MIGHTY HUMANITY! HE SHOULD HAVE BOOKS ABOUT HIM, NOT SOME INQUISITOR PRIG! *storms off ranting and raving*

008Zulu said:
What, no personal shout-out to Matt Ward? The troll who singly handed gave us the Grey Knights and Ultrasmurfs, and nerfed in to dust every other race that posed a threat to them?
To be fair - and I know I'm defending Ward here, which I never thought would happen - his Necron overhauls were fairly solid and the fluff was pretty good, so he's not all bad. While the Grey Knights are best left unmentioned and the Ultrasmurfs are just... so boring, he isn't all THAT bad.

He's no C.S. Goto, that's for sure.

(Plus the Ultramarines are easy to rescue - the game Space Marine handled the Ultramarines really well and averted all the mary-sueisms they possessed with ease, which was nice. Don't really know if the Grey Knights can be saved from the scrappy pile though, don't know of anyone who has written stuff for them since the 'Khornate Knights' incident)
 

Sourman

New member
Mar 25, 2012
24
0
0
The Ultramarines are considered one of the strongest and most honoured of all the Space Marine Chapters in the Imperium of Man, and were responsible for almost single-handedly holding the Imperium together after the Horus Heresy.
Apparently. You know, none of those other 8 Legions did anything at all while the Ultramarines were being trolled by the Alpha Legion playing the best game of hide and seek on the Eastern side of the Galaxy...
I see what you mean, never thought of it that way.

And I agree with you on the quality of the Heresy books. I'm lagging very badly behind on them, but the ones I did read were excellent.
 

Mangod

New member
Feb 20, 2011
829
0
0
WMDogma said:
8 Reasons Why Games Workshop Hates You

Games Workshop is one of the biggest tabletop game makers around, popular for publishing Warhammer 40,000 and Warhammer. But sadly, some of its decisions seem to suggest it doesn't like making its fans happy.

Read Full Article
#1: What really pisses me off is that, considering the quality of Dawn of War (sans Soulstorm), we know how much better 40k based games can be.

#2: Ah, yes... the Dreadknight... never before has the urge to ask GW what the hell is wrong with them been so strong.

At least until they let Matt Ward write another fluff piece involving the Bolter Bitches.

#3: Necromunda, how I miss thee...

#4: Don't they sell the e-books for the same price as the paperback novels too? Because that feels a wee bit like a rip-off.

#5: Really, you're complaining that the Baneblade doesn't have more turrets and cannons? Waste of a point, I'd say.

#6: And speaking of a waste of a point; 1) Captain Titus from the Space Marine game would like a word with you, and 2) Finecast! You literally had it right in front of you and you missed it! You had one job to do! Just one!

#7: Strangely, my paints have endured for a very long time. Then again, I'll drip some water in the bottle and mix it if I feel like it's getting dry...

#8: HERO OF THE IMPERIUM!

Sourman said:
Hand to the Emperor, I really don't get why people hate so much on the Ultramarines. They are supposed to be the generic space marine chapter, aren't they? The other chapters get cool unique characteristics, and the Ultramarines are just vanilla. Or am I reading this wrong?
The Ultramarines aren't bad by their nature; unfortunately, they do have a tendency to get Mary Sue'd to the depths of the Warp and back. Matt "Fuckwit" Ward, for instance, is a massive Ultramarines fanboy, so guess what happened when GW let him write their Codex? That's right; fanwank.
 

Rob Robson

New member
Feb 21, 2013
182
0
0
I'm really sick of GW. Me and my local group are all staying in 6th edition. A Tau player, (me) two Dark Eldar players (one of which is me) a Marine/ Guard player, an Eldar player and a Tyranid player. 4 out of 5 being owners of armies that GW like to fuck over the most.


No video games with Tau or Dark Eldar since Dawn of War I.

No Black Library books even slightly touching on anything but the Imperium.

The absolute worst model paint in the entire world of acrylics.

No narrative to anything they ever do anymore.

Licensing shitty Spess Muhreen movies not even a Spess Muhreen fan can enjoy, and board game abortions like Horus Heresy (TERRIBLE!!!).

Prices spiraling out of control because GW is making people subsidize their shitty brick/mortar stores even if they don't have one within a thousand miles. YOU ARE NEVER GOING TO BE THE IKEA OF WARGAMES!

Anti consumer reseller restrictions were the last drop for all of us. We live in Norway so the whole Australia thing doesn't affect us, but that kind of sleaze move is the end. The utter end. If GW went bankrupt tomorrow, none of us would feel as much as nostalgic, and we've played since 2nd edition.


None of us are willing to spend any more on plastic crack, we'll keep evolving 6th edition the way we want to, with house rules, until GW gets their act together.
 

Mangod

New member
Feb 20, 2011
829
0
0
Rob Robson said:
I'm really sick of GW. Me and my local group are all staying in 6th edition. A Tau player, (me) two Dark Eldar players (one of which is me) a Marine/ Guard player, an Eldar player and a Tyranid player. 4 out of 5 being owners of armies that GW like to fuck over the most.


No video games with Tau or Dark Eldar since Dawn of War I.

No Black Library books even slightly touching on anything but the Imperium.

The absolute worst model paint in the entire world of acrylics.

No narrative to anything they ever do anymore.

Licensing shitty Spess Muhreen movies not even a Spess Muhreen fan can enjoy, and board game abortions like Horus Heresy (TERRIBLE!!!).

Prices spiraling out of control because GW is making people subsidize their shitty brick/mortar stores even if they don't have one within a thousand miles. YOU ARE NEVER GOING TO BE THE IKEA OF WARGAMES!

Anti consumer reseller restrictions were the last drop for all of us. We live in Norway so the whole Australia thing doesn't affect us, but that kind of sleaze move is the end. The utter end. If GW went bankrupt tomorrow, none of us would feel as much as nostalgic, and we've played since 2nd edition.


None of us are willing to spend any more on plastic crack, we'll keep evolving 6th edition the way we want to, with house rules, until GW gets their act together.
Have you considered playing another system? Warmachine/Hordes? Infinity? MERCS (my personal favorite atm)? Kings of War or Warpath? There are substitutes that don't cost as much in the long run if money's a real concern. KoW and Warpath are both essentially cheaper Warhammer/40k with all the bullshit stripped out, while the other are all skirmish games, meaning you only need between 3-10 models to play.
 

L. Declis

New member
Apr 19, 2012
861
0
0
008Zulu said:
What, no personal shout-out to Matt Ward? The troll who singly handed gave us the Grey Knights and Ultrasmurfs, and nerfed in to dust every other race that posed a threat to them?
He also gave us 6th Edition. And the Necrons are pretty damn nasty. And who did he nerf? Pretty much anything he touched became powerful; note though, that the Space Wolves and Eldar Codexes which broke the game in their respective editions were written by Phil Kelly.

Jeremy Vetock, however, is the Helix Fossil in the company.

TimeLord said:
The Ultramarines are considered one of the strongest and most honoured of all the Space Marine Chapters in the Imperium of Man, and were responsible for almost single-handedly holding the Imperium together after the Horus Heresy.
Apparently. You know, none of those other 8 Legions did anything at all while the Ultramarines were being trolled by the Alpha Legion playing the best game of hide and seek on the Eastern side of the Galaxy...
(Ineffective means they were no longer Legion strength; about 3000 warriors or less)

The Imperial Fists were effective damaged defending the Imperial Palace, ran off and hunted the Iron Warriors, until brought to ineffectiveness.
The Raven Guard were effectively made ineffective after Istvaan and mutation problems.
The Iron Hands were still ineffective after Istvaan.
The Salamanders were still ineffective after Istvaan.
The Blood Angels were made ineffective defending the Palace
The Dark Angels were sorting out Caliban in a Legion Civil War.
The White Scars were made ineffective defending the Palace.
The Space Wolves were missing from the Seige of Terra, but they only made 2 successor Chapters (the Wolf Brothers) so they were made ineffective.

The only Legion still at Legion strength (note: over 100,000 Marines, more than the others combined at that point), the Ultramarines were the ones who actually had the numbers to keep everything together, and Guilliman, the statesman, was the only Primarch who could handle the facts of war and the politics of the newly arisen Imperium and it's High Lords of Terra.

In my view, the other 8 Legions were the ones who defeated Horus and it was the Ultramarines who kept everything together afterwards.

Awesome, Storm of Vengeance! A brand new Warhammer 40k game! But it's not an RTS, instead it's a "Lane Strategy" game. Our own Jim Sterling sat down to play the game, and suffice to say he was not too impressed.
This wasn't done by Games Workshop. This was licensed out. They have also... wait, someone else has said it.
PMAvers said:
Although I think probably the best thing they've done recently is letting Fantasy Flight play with the IPs to make new games. Like the recently announced Conquest [http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=261&enmi=Warhammer%2040,000:%20Conquest], or Space Hulk: Death Angel [http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=118&enmi=Death%20Angel], the RPG lines, Blood Bowl: Team Manager [http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=130&enmi=Blood%20Bowl:%20Team%20Manager], Warhammer: Diskwars [http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=246&enmi=Warhammer:%20Diskwars], Chaos in the Old World [http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=84&enmi=Chaos%20in%20the%20Old%20World], etc.
Let's not forget they've also got Total War working on a Fantasy Total War, there is still the Armageddon game, and Relic did give us good games. We just need to wait until they discover a new Relic.

Okay, the Grey Knights used to be an awfully cool, secretive chapter of Space Marines that were all about kicking daemon ass across the galaxy with futuristic halberds and high-powered flame throwers. But now that they've gotten their own codex, they've become ridiculously overpowered and unbalanced in both the tabletop game and their lore. Plus, one of their ultimate warmachines, the Nemesis Dreadknight pictured here, kind of looks like a glorified baby carrier.
They had their own Codex before; it was just Daemonhunters. Also, you're about two years late regarding how powerful they are; they're now mid-tier at most, and in the lore, it has since been toned down (I assume you're referring to Driago; yeah, they've kinda patched it, a bit] and other fluff wise, they're not overpowered, they're just Grey Knights.

I like the Dreadknight, they just picked the most stupid pose for it. But that is a matter of taste.

I personally own dozens of books from the Black Library, the wing of Games Workshop that handles publishing its fantasy and science fiction stories. Many of them are great reads, but sadly, their prices leave a lot to be desired - and if you're the kind of person who likes using an e-reader, you won't be happy to hear that the Black Library's E-Books are only available through their website.
Their prices fall in line with most fantasy/sci-fi prices, and Black Library have a discount for E-Readers, and they have a load of bundles to save money.

And if you're the kind of person who likes an e-reader, you'll be glad to know that it's also available in iTunes as well, and they put in the effort that you can now use them on Kindle because you couldn't before.

This one's just depressing. The Baneblade, which is the most bad-ass super-heavy tank in all of the Imperium, and possibly all of science fiction, and it only has eleven freaking guns?! What the heck, GW! You could totally fit more on there!
...List padding?

Seriously. The Ultramarines. The less said, the better.
Okay, I'm now curious, did you just go onto a forum, look up some kind of "I hate GW topic" and then just copy paste. Or did you reach Reason 6 and not put any effort in. It's a single sentence which lazily handwaves it. I mean, there are loads of reasons to hate the Ultramarines, so it's not hard to put together 3 lines...

Games Workshop has its own paints available for all aspiring modelers out there in a wide range of colors, but boy do they dry out awfully quickly
Well, I'm using the paints I got from eight years ago still and they work fine. I've got newer paints from GW and they're still fine too. Assuming you don't leave the lid open, they tend to be fine. If not, a quick shake and they're good to go.

Commissar Ciaphas Cain is by far the best character in all of Warhammer 40,000. Why on earth Games Workshop hasn't tried to make a Ciaphas Cain video game, TV series, movie, or even honor him with a special model for the board game is just sad.
They did make a model for him.

GW doesn't make TV series. It's not interested. It tried to make a movie; the movie wasn't good, GW won't try again. Someone else is making an Inquisitor Lord movie, so we shall see if GW changes it's mind later. When it comes to video game licensing, GW doesn't tell people what game to make. The video game developers work with the GW design studio to make the story, but GW doesn't hand out a license with "Thou shalt makest the Ultramarines, *****" attached.

What is my point with this? This is another lazy article by the Escapist, which is confusing because there are so many good ones. I'm very disappointed, Paul Goodman, because you're pretty funny on the podcat, and you seemed to know your 40k; also, it's not why 40k hates you, it's why you hate 40k. You didn't pick a single anti-consumer GW thing GW has done, and they've done a lot.
 

Rob Robson

New member
Feb 21, 2013
182
0
0
Mangod said:
Have you considered playing another system?
Of course, most notably Warmahordes, but we don't like how symmetrical/ gamey it looks, less immersive than 40K. That said, we still may try it. But we're still having fun with our own house rules for 40K and don't really need to expand really.
 

AJvsRonin

New member
Nov 11, 2010
119
0
0
Leon Declis said:
What is my point with this? This is another lazy article by the Escapist, which is confusing because there are so many good ones. I'm very disappointed, Paul Goodman, because you're pretty funny on the podcat, and you seemed to know your 40k; also, it's not why 40k hates you, it's why you hate 40k. You didn't pick a single anti-consumer GW thing GW has done, and they've done a lot.
I'm pretty sure these are just "Click bait" posts for ad revenue.
Of course I like to know the escapists are getting paid, but an article like this that probably took 20min tops to make creates 8 clicks/ad views for each of the banners. As opposed to a well written and thought out article that takes hours or days and maybe produces 1-3 ad views/clicks.

It's like this site is taking tips from buzz feed.

1: Make inflammatory article title.
2: Source images from the web.
3: Post 1 image per page requiring constant clicking.
4: Don't spend time creating content, time is money, just add a sprinkling of text, it doesn't even have to be all that relevant or interesting. "Nuff Said" will do.

Sadly it's probably necessary for them to do so what with the prevalence of adblocker and so on.