THQ Claims It's One of the Big Publishers

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
THQ Claims It's One of the Big Publishers

It's not about how many games you release, says THQ's CEO, it's about how many you sell.

THQ CEO Brian Farrell says that he views his company as one of the big publishers in the videogame industry. What's more, while THQ might not have the same resources as the likes of Activision and EA, Farrell is confident that it can hold its own against them.

Farrell points to THQ's recent success with Homefront as proof that the publisher is capable of going toe-to-toe with its rivals. He said that despite being released at the same time as other high-profile titles like Crysis 2, Homefront managed to outsell them all. "We had the top selling game in March with Homefront ... We were number one. We crushed the competition here and in the UK and in other markets that we track," Farrell said. "It's not about numbers of products, it's about bringing great products to market, marketing them as we did with Homefront, and as we intend to do with the rest of these games. So when we can compete, we win." He said that THQ had undertaken a new strategy two years ago, and although 2010 had been a relatively quiet year, the pipeline for 2011 would make THQ's rivals envious.

THQ's success with Homefront is impressive, especially in spite of its slightly lackluster review scores - something that Farrell blamed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109755-THQ-Blames-Homefront-Single-Player-for-Lukewarm-Reviews] on the single player campaign - but one game does not a top-tier publisher make. Activision and EA, not to mention the likes of Ubisoft and Take-Two, have dozens of very popular and successful IPs making up their portfolios, something that THQ can't quite match yet. But that could all change - especially if THQ's upcoming games are as good as Farrell claims they are - and who knows? Maybe one day THQ will be standing alongside the giants of the industry.

Source: Industry Gamers [http://www.industrygamers.com/news/thq-insists-its-one-of-the-big-publishers/]

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
As long as they keep that Dawn of War and Red Faction train rollin', they're tops in my book.

cardinalwiggles

is the king of kong
Jun 21, 2009
wait a minute.... homefront.... success... i smell something fishy here.
in my books the likes of EA and activision are the top with ubisoft coming up third. maybe rockstar after ubisoft. as the mega publishers i don't think THQ are there yet. maybe soon.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
DoW is still selling like the world's hottest cake. Go Go! =D

KarmicToast

Nov 11, 2008
OMG THQ STFU about Homefront. It sucked, okay? Mediocre at best. Multiplayer was broken, single player was four hours long and awful, story was great BUT ONLY THE PARTS OF IT AVAILABLE IN THE TRAILER SIX MONTHS PRIOR TO RELEASE. Get over yourselves for the love of God! Stop putting out statements that always seem to magically fold back upon some half-cocked defense of this absolutely forgettable game. Try focusing your attention on a new game that doesn't suck instead of holding non-stop press releases slamming consumers and critics about why we should have liked your game more.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
Tiswas said:
Eh. I already considered THQ to be one of the big publishers.
Same here. Though I'm not really a fan of any of thier IPs. But I have to say they are far from being Indie.

Sgt_Jakeman214

Jul 19, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
<Maybe one THQ will be standing alongside the giants of the industry.
Don't you mean "Maybe one day THQ will be standing alongside the giants of the industry."?

Also, THQ is kinda like a mediumweight fighter in the battle of the publishers. And I quite like them where they are.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
GamesB2 said:
Well... you're getting there.

Keep up the Warhammer stuff!
^This

I love DoW. >.> Skulls for the skull throne and blood for the blood god! <.<

OT: Tbh, I've always thought THQ were among the top publishers =/

Sgt_Jakeman214

Jul 19, 2010
therandombear said:
GamesB2 said:
Well... you're getting there.

Keep up the Warhammer stuff!
^This

I love DoW. >.> Skulls for the skull throne and blood for the blood god! <.<

OT: Tbh, I've always thought THQ were among the top publishers =/
This as well! Warhammer 40k games make me a very happy man! As I said before though, THQ is still about 5th place in the size of publishers, but what they do publish is usually of a very high standard (I can't pass judgement on Homefront as I haven't played it yet. I'm poor atm.).

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Warhammer for the win, I'd say. As long as they make good stuff, in my eyes, they're an important publisher.
Just as long as they don't get too full of themselves.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
Well I certainly wish them the best of luck, new ips to challenge the old are always good for the consumer, though that being said i've been dissapointed with the Red Factions of late.

Still, if THQ can break into that elite club up top (which I consider EA/Activision/Ubisoft) I like to think it will force everyone to up their game and therefore we get better games as a result... hopefully.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
As long as their games are as good as DarkSiders.

In fact, as long as I see SOMETHING about DarkSiders 2 at E3.

DannibalG36

Mar 29, 2010
I always thought of THQ as a major publisher - not as big as Ubi or EA or Blizzard, but big enough.

Besides, they let me play Metro 2033. That was a stonking great game.