THQ Claims It's One of the Big Publishers

PatrickXD

Aug 13, 2009
I didn't like Homefront, but other THQ published titles have been most awesome for me personally, and I rate them highly. like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC, and 40K of course!

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
Homefront was a success? What, just because they hit the one million mark they were so desperate for? I'm finding this article a little bit tough to swallow. Now, i love THQ, i grew up with the old Red Faction games after all (RIP Volition), but i think this comes off as being more than a bit egocentric and excessively optimistic. Like Farrell is peacocking to say "Look guys! We can compete too!".

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Their new WWE All Stars wrestling game is extremely mediocre, so I'm unsure what he's banging on about.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Eeat shit THQ. The same goes for every other publisher. You guys are the reason the gaming industry is in this sorry state. Mediocre game after mediocre game and you people dare call yourself one of the "big un's"? If publishers disappeared gaming as a medium would see more quality games instead of the same shit being rehashed every year.

Gizmo007666

Nov 12, 2009
"We were number one... we crushed the competition... when we compete we win"

Alright then, if you're so amazing go and launch one of those titles in the pipeline which will make competitors jealous in November. Lets see how it does in sales when it's up against the likes of CoD, Battlefield, Skyrim and Uncharted 3 (and any other games I may have missed).

It's fair enough being happy with the performance achieved but that just seems plain arrogant and I wouldn't mind seeing his response when he attempts to release in a month with competition from those big publishers.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Well, they've made quite a few good games, I mean who can hate the bros who've published Saints Row, Stalker, Metro 2033, Darksiders, Dawn of War, Company of Heroes, Titan Quest and Red Faction!

That's more stuff I care about that Activision makes, and may even be more than EA. Keep it up THQ, the sooner you get over this Homefront business the better.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
When THQ reaches the 'dickbaggery' of Activision or EA then I will see them as a top-tier publisher. Or if they get a nicer logo.
Yeah something like this would be awesome. It's so well designed! It's to bad they didn't come up with this design.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I already considered them up there... back before I was big into gaming I knew who THQ was... and, hell, they're better than Activision. They at least try to make new stuff instead of just pumping out new versions of the overrated series (Call of Duty, Halo, Battlefield, etc).

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
Tiswas said:
Eh. I already considered THQ to be one of the big publishers.
Snap

I never even considered that it wasn't. It is also my favourite publisher, as it regularly pumps out pretty high power games. I liked Homefront, but I still consider it a defeat for THQ, when compared to Stalker and Metro 2033

AndyFromMonday said:
Eeat shit THQ. The same goes for every other publisher. You guys are the reason the gaming industry is in this sorry state. Mediocre game after mediocre game and you people dare call yourself one of the "big un's"? If publishers disappeared gaming as a medium would see more quality games instead of the same shit being rehashed every year.
Actually, while what you said works for EA and Activision, I find that while playing THQ games, I get the idea that they give the developers quite a bit of free reign, so they can make good games. Like I said, see STALKER, Saints row, and company of heroes. Also bear in mind that publishers are how smaller developers can make AAA games without their own capital. Yeah, most GDs have enough money to finance their own games, but not that long ago, they couldn't. If you think you could live on Flash games and XBLA, then good for you.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
AndyFromMonday said:
I can't tell if you're just ignorant or you are being extremely sarcastic. The "big un's", as you call them, are the ones that are doing the rehashed sequels every year. Homefront - not really a sequel. Metro 2033, not a sequel. Saints Row has had sequels, but from what I've heard, it is a pretty awesome game.

RabbidKuriboh

Sep 19, 2010
really? since when?

in my mind(which is how I imagine, not fact)it goes:

EA
Square
Capcom
Valve
Bethesda

in terms of size, actually forgot thq existed somewhat

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
cardinalwiggles said:
in my books the likes of EA and activision are the top with ubisoft coming up third. maybe rockstar after ubisoft. as the mega publishers i don't think THQ are there yet. maybe soon.
Rockstar? They're part of Take-Two, which is made up of 2K Games and Rockstar. Aside from Rockstar games, Take-Two really don't put out all that much worth paying attention to.

In terms of volume of quality releases, THQ are up there with EA. OK, EA aren't perfect, but they're not as bad as people make them out to be. Activision rely on CoD and WoW, UbiSoft on Assassin's Creed, some brain damaged rabbit things and shovelware (Although I do think they put out some good quality European titles), so if we're talking terms of quality and frequency of releases - EA and THQ are two of the best major companies out there.

KiKiweaky

Aug 29, 2008
Well they have Warhammer 40k Space Marine coming out before the end of the summer and it looks positively awesome. So thats one of their big titles coming out this year, it looks like a mash of dynasty warriors + god of war with guns and guys wearing far too much armour.

Im already set on buying it and I cant wait :D