Duke Nukem Forever Leaks to Torrent Sites

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Duke Nukem Forever Leaks to Torrent Sites

I am shocked - shocked, I tell you! - by the news that Duke Nukem Forever [http://www.amazon.com/Duke-Nukem-Forever-Pc/dp/B002I0JAJ2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1307555500&sr=8-2] has been leaked to torrent sites.

Pre-launch leaks of major videogames to torrent sites is becoming something of an industry ritual and in that light it's not really a surprise that, with a week to go before its June 14 release in North America, Duke Nukem Forever ended up floating around on public torrent sites. Both the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3 versions of the game are in the wild and although several fake DNF files have popped up in recent weeks, these are confirmed as the real deal. The warez group "Complex" is responsible for putting out the 360 version while "Duplex" covered PS3 duties.

While games like often not [http://www.amazon.com/Crysis-2-Pc/dp/B002BS47YE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1307555548&sr=8-3]], negative reaction to the leak could be enough to torpedo the game.

It's also worth pointing out, I think, that while the 360 and PS3 versions of the game are running free, the PC version apparently is not. Maybe someone needs to explain to me one more time how publishers are shying away from the PC because of all the rampant piracy problems it suffers from.

Source: Neowin [http://www.neowin.net/news/duke-nukem-forever-leaked-to-torrent-sites]

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Hardly surprising in this day and age.

I'm getting the Collectors Edition either way.
Can't miss out on a bust of The Duke!

Though I'd love to get my hands on that demo, but alas, I have not pre-order.

Mr.Amakir

Jun 2, 2010
Yes, PC gaming is dying because of piracy and this proves it.

That was sarcasm.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
PC piracy is ruining gaming!

Oh wait, PS3 and 360 only? Oh I know, let's ignore console piracy as always. Seems to work for developers and publishers so who am I to argue :/
SoloStoffe said:
I wonder, how did the game get leaked? A douche Gearbox employee or hackers?
Probably neither. The game usually hits the shelves a couple of days before the official release date. Ignorant clerks don't know the release date and they will sell you the game. Or, clerks work with pirates. Both options are more plausible than hackers or douche employees.

Velociferocks

Jul 20, 2009
console games are pretty much always released ~1 week prior to release. Just look at Infamous 2, wich came out last thursday on torrent sites. This is the work of some gamestop employee taking a copy and just ripping it and uploading it.

danhere

Apr 5, 2010
CryTek didn't lose out on sales because they expressed their desire to keep PC gamers in the loop, no matter what happens, as opposed to just using it as an opportunity to alienate them and focus on console-exclusive products. Gearbox needs to take a similar approach. They're dealing with an IP that people have been waiting around for for 12 years. Some will be anxious enough to play it illegally if they can get it early, no matter which platform it was leaked for. However, the fact that only console versions are out does serve to help the PC gamer cause for sure. The important thing is to understand the risks associated with so much hype and not blame the gamers.

Dark Prophet

Jun 3, 2009
Well my opinion based on the demo is that the game is shit, it could be a somewhat decent game on its own but as a duke game it really is shit, so can't see why anyone would want to priate it.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Well assuming that the PC really isn't out yet... this would be the exception to the normal for once.

Snowalker

Nov 8, 2008
fenrizz said:
Hardly surprising in this day and age.

I'm getting the Collectors Edition either way.
Can't miss out on a bust of The Duke!

Though I'd love to get my hands on that demo, but alas, I have not pre-order.
And you plan on getting collectors edition? Umm... if this game is as nearly as popular as people imply, you're going to need more than good luck my friend.

I couldn't care less on this one. I'm neither excited for this game and I kinda think better games have attempted its premise of "Fun games must come first" and failed. Its becoming apparent that fun games should be indie titles, because they seem to do it best.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
so everything BUT the PC version was leaked?
and when we are talking about piracy in the future we will completely ignore this since of course piracy is the downfall of PC gaming and not the fact that publishers prefer consoles since they are platforms that are easier to control.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
Duke Nukem Forever has been a strange beast, from it's humble origins 12 years ago, and up until the week of it's release.
Piracy on consoles only. Oh Duke. u so crazy.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
9_6 said:
Andy Chalk said:
some sites are suggesting that the Duke Nukem Forever leak could be more damaging because of the limited release of the demo, which kept it out of many gamers' hands
Whose brilliant idea was that anyway?
Demos only for people who pre-order the game. Seriously.
Demo isn't only for people who pre-order the game. Demo is for EVERYONE once the game comes out.

Some people got the demo early by buying Borderlands GOTY or by preordering Duke as a rather odd way for Gearbox to thank them for being good customers. But everyone gets the demo when the game comes out, so chill.