Duke Nukem Forever Leaks to Torrent Sites

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Well, i feel for Gearbox. But no PC one (yet, most likely)?
Does it got something to do with it being launched on Steam?
I have no idea.
Anyways, hope it doesn't affect the company much.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
An open letter to John St.John and Gearbox Software:
I'm sure many would agree with me when I say that you should make a special trailer featuring Duke insulting/threatening these people. It would be quite amusing indeed.

Raool

Jul 5, 2009
This has been going on for quite a while. XBOX and PS versions get leaked way earlier than the PC one.

Retardinator

Nov 2, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Duke Nukem Forever leak could be more damaging because of the limited release of the demo, which kept it out of many gamers' hands, and the less-than-entirely-enthusiastic response among those who have been able to play it.
Dunno about anyone else, but I've been less-than-entirely-enthusiastic since I had the chance to play the demo.

9thRequiem

Sep 21, 2010
ultratog1028 said:
Apparently, Even the Duke sometimes accidently comes earlier then he expected.
Zing!

Honestly, I'm not sure this'll impact sales a huge amount. I preordered the game anyway, and even after the demo (which wasn't bad, just a bit "meh") will still get it. Even if the game was awful, I'd still get it just for the fact of having it after all this time. After all the jokes, it's pretty much a piece of gaming history.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Owlslayer said:
Well, i feel for Gearbox. But no PC one (yet, most likely)?
Does it got something to do with it being launched on Steam?
I have no idea.
Anyways, hope it doesn't affect the company much.
Correct.
There is leaked DNF PC version on net for a few days, but it's no go because it lacks authentication code from Steam, similarly how StarCraft2 worked with BattleNet2.0. The DVD just lacks little bits of code required to fire up installation.

Feb 13, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Maybe someone needs to explain to me one more time how publishers are shying away from the PC because of all the rampant piracy problems it suffers from.
I'm sure Fox News will do a probing survey into this question - during their piece by piece breakdown of how the game is the harbinger of the End Times.

And I'll lay odds that its found to be the PC's fault at the end of it. Because only PC's have pirates and viruses.

TheHecatomb

May 7, 2008
I'm tempted to give it a go, even if only to just 'get it over with', but I think I'll just wait till my preordered copy arrives. Which, to be honest, I only bought because that Duke bust is awesome in some nostalgic way.

I guess maybe I shouldn't play it at all, that way I'll still be able to smile at the bust, uttering stuff like "Good old times, good old times" instead of "Bah that new game kinda sucked."

Fuck me, now I'm getting emotionally confused over a game I haven't played yet.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
It's also worth pointing out, I think, that while the 360 and PS3 versions of the game are running free, the PC version apparently is not. Maybe someone needs to explain to me one more time how publishers are shying away from the PC because of all the rampant piracy problems it suffers from.
Lemme do that for you, because it's bullshit and they simply feel there's a greater profit in consoles and cba doing a multiplatform game. Piracy is just a convenient thing to point a finger to when the angry fanbase is looking at you after you've abandoned it.

OT: Frankly, if it tanks because people see it for the shit it (from what I hear) is, it has it coming. I for one am glad, no one should be cheated out of their money for a 60$ game that's pure crap.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
icame said:
As the old saying goes, "Pirates should be hanged"

Like this?

Yeh, I can get behind that.

OT: Wow, this is not so good. Still, I doubt I will be getting DNF untill maybe a year from now when it is cheaper

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
TheHecatomb said:
I'm tempted to give it a go, even if only to just 'get it over with', but I think I'll just wait till my preordered copy arrives. Which, to be honest, I only bought because that Duke bust is awesome in some nostalgic way.
Yeah, I am more or less in that camp. I don't really care too much if the game sucks, I will have a DN bust! (That I am having painted by my friend who paints tons of miniatures)

Though in a sense Randy P. bet his company on the Duke so I hope it works out for him. (Even if I did not like Borderlands much)

procyonlotor

Jun 12, 2010
Stiffkittin said:
Bah, the game will be fine. It will have decent but unexceptional sales. Mostly thanks to the novelty. Maybe even enough to pay for it's development over the next couple of years. Many people will play the game half-way and feel underwhelmed and a little silly for buying it and no other big budget Duke game will ever be made. End of story really.
I agree with this person.

His predictions will come true.

Charmi the ninja

May 28, 2011
This is sad. I found out by googling "Duke nukem forever" and looking at the "latest" results. Its all teh same - "Duke Nukem Leaked".

There's even a video up on youtube already showing footage of the pirated game. They even had the audacity to call the video a "copyright test". They say that if the video isn't deleted in 24 hours they will upload the game on some other channel.

I feel really bad for Duke. 14 years to a release, and his big moment on the 14th is spoiled. :(

Bagged Milk

Jan 5, 2011
I have an idea for why developers don't care about console piracy. PC piracy is a lot more accessible, barely any work required. While the Xbox needs custom firmware, and stuff that most console people have no idea exists. Also, you can be banned from Live for having custom firmware which is a risk most people might not want to take.

Magikarp

Jan 26, 2011
SoloStoffe said:
I wonder, how did the game get leaked? A douche Gearbox employee or hackers?
When a game's fuinished, there are loads of points between the developer & the shop at which someone can sneak a copy away. It'd be really surprising if it wasn't leaked.