Gearbox: Duke Nukem is "Not a Chris Brown Kind of Character"

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Gearbox: Duke Nukem is "Not a Chris Brown Kind of Character"

According to the man in charge of Gearbox Software, Duke Nukem is more like Hugh Hefner than Chris Brown when it comes to his attitude towards women.

It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Duke-Nukem-Forever-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0HAC6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307749128&sr=8-1>Duke Nukem Forever has earned a fair amount of controversy before it's even been released. And, with a promotional event for the game <a href=http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/02/hand-on-duke-nukem-forever.ars>being held at a strip club and the recently revealed "Capture the Babe" mode, it's actually kind of easy to understand why groups like <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108780-Fox-News-Takes-Aim-at-Offensive-Duke-Nukem-Forever>Fox News have accused the game of being "sexist". However, Gearbox's head honcho Randy Pitchford is angrily defending both the game and its star.

Pitchford recently spoke to Eurogamer about the subject. According to him, the accusation that Duke Nukem can be seen as someone who commits violence against women is offensive:

"The minute you try to suggest that Duke would himself commit an act of violence against a woman just because she's a woman, or advocate that, that's offensive to me."

"Duke is a Hugh Hefner kind of character - he's absolutely not a Chris Brown kind of character ... I think Duke would kick that guy's ass. That guy's not a man, he's an asshole. And I think Duke would hate a guy like that."

I'm not sure Hugh Hefner is the first person I'd compare Duke to. In fact, if I were Pitchford, I'd be more concerned (and trying to do damage control) about how the game's console version is apparently a lot less impressive than the PC build is.

Source: <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-10-duke-is-not-a-chris-brown-character>Eurogamer

Broady Brio

Jun 28, 2009
Since when did Duke HIT women like Chris Brown? I haven't played ANY of the games, so I may be missing something here.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
vansau said:
I'm not sure Hugh Hefner is the first person I'd compare Duke to. In fact, if I were Pitchford, I'd be more concerned (and trying to do damage control) about how the game's console version is apparently a lot less impressive than the PC build is.
From what I've seen and heard, neither version is particularly impressive. As Total Biscuit put it, it takes the worst parts of modern FPS design and combines them with the worst parts of old FPS design. And above all, I keep thinking it looks like a rubbish version of Halo.

pffh

Oct 10, 2008
Broady Brio said:
Since when did Duke HIT women like Chris Brown? I haven't played ANY of the games, so I may be missing something here.
Well in Duke Nukem 3d there were these ladies that had been impregnated by the aliens and were now unable to move while being slowly eaten alive by the alien spawns inside them. Whenever you found one they would always beg for death and you could kill them.

But I doubt that counts.

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
I don't get it, why do game devs try to defend their games?

The media is barking, let them have their fun for 15 minutes and let it go.

Project_Xii

Jul 5, 2009
Duke WAS his OWN brand. Now he's just "generic, brown, 2 gun toting, non-boot kicking space marine mercenary #789".

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
Duke is just a good ole fashioned gentleman-sexist hehe.

Is it just me, or does the Duke look a bit like Mickey Rourke in that pic?

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I'm calling this the Most Irrelevant Statement of the Year. Hey I don't care about assessing Duke's character at the moment.

I want to know why the game was so shockingly undukey

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
Broady Brio said:
Now he carries them over his shoulder and slaps their rear ends if they object to the way they're being treated in a multiplayer mode. =P So there you have it, Duke is a woman beater now who treats them even more as objects than he already did.

And wow, Randy Pitchford... you're sliding down my respect scale pretty damn fast ever since you started saying that people who don't like DNF aren't real gamers.

Koios

Jul 28, 2010
Watching LittleKuriboh's stream earlier, the game looked like it would be fun to play... not great, but fun at least

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
Add "racist" to the list of things this video game might now be called. Calling Chris Brown an asshole is the exact opposite of a good move at this point.

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
lwm3398 said:
Add "racist" to the list of things this video game might now be called. Calling Chris Brown an asshole is the exact opposite of a good move at this point.
Are you forgetting the picture of Rhianna after the incident? I'm pretty sure that description fits perfectly. Black or White.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Broady Brio said:
In Duke Nukem 3D/64 you find naked women in pods or, in suspended tentacle bondage. I also used to kick them until they explode into chunky red bits.

The Wykydtron said:
I haven't played the platformers or, 3rd person games but from what I remember of Duke 3D/64, that was basically a Doom clone. The new Duke is a Halo clone which seems pretty Dukey of the Duke to copy-cat one of this generations more popular franchises.

hopeneverdies

Oct 1, 2008
Traun said:
I don't get it, why do game devs try to defend their games?

The media is barking, let them have their fun for 15 minutes and let it go.
While press is press, bad press isn't as helpful to sales.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Shoggoth2588 said:
Broady Brio said:
In Duke Nukem 3D/64 you find naked women in pods or, in suspended tentacle bondage. I also used to kick them until they explode into chunky red bits.

The Wykydtron said:
I haven't played the platformers or, 3rd person games but from what I remember of Duke 3D/64, that was basically a Doom clone. The new Duke is a Halo clone which seems pretty Dukey of the Duke to copy-cat one of this generations more popular franchises.
Ahaha i like that logic, proving that the undukey gameplay is actually quite dukey would disarm the main arguement against DNF. Well played good sir!

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
Mouse_Crouse said:
Are you forgetting the picture of Rhianna after the incident? I'm pretty sure that description fits perfectly. Black or White.
I'll give you that one, but there are still ignorant assholes who will get mad at this. They might never have played the game or acknowledged the fact that Chris Brown beat Rihanna, but will still have negative opinions about it because it's a video game. Not just a video game, but one with sexism and "racism." I can see how people might get angry about this.

Namely, Chris Brown.