Gearbox: Duke Nukem is "Not a Chris Brown Kind of Character"

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
lwm3398 said:
... but there are still ignorant assholes who will get mad at this. They might never have played the game or acknowledged the fact that Chris Brown beat Rihanna, but will still have negative opinions about it because it's a video game. Not just a video game, but one with sexism and "racism." I can see how people might get angry about this.

Namely, Chris Brown.
Too true. But I will defend Randy's right to call him that.

Deathninja19

Dec 7, 2009
lwm3398 said:
Add "racist" to the list of things this video game might now be called. Calling Chris Brown an asshole is the exact opposite of a good move at this point.
Sorry? Black, white or brown Chris Brown is an arsehole, that is a fact. Besides even if he called him a black arsehole Randy would be called the racist not the game unless Duke himself finds Chris Brown in the game and say 'now that is one black asshole' then, THEN, the game could be called racist.

Koios

Jul 28, 2010
Shoggoth2588 said:
In Duke Nukem 3D/64 you find naked women in pods or, in suspended tentacle bondage. I also used to kick them until they explode into chunky red bits.
While that was apparently an option, you were supposed to save them...

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
Deathninja19 said:
Sorry? Black, white or brown Chris Brown is an arsehole, that is a fact. Besides even if he called him a black arsehole Randy would be called the racist not the game unless Duke himself finds Chris Brown in the game and say 'now that is one black asshole' then, THEN, the game could be called racist.
You're putting way too much logic into this. He is black. A man who makes a video game called him an asshole. VIDEO GAMES THINK BLACK PEOPLE ARE ASSHOLES.

It does matter that he's just a developer or a publicist, or if he was just an intern. He is the game. He is what the game says to people. He said a black person was an asshole, and even though that person actually was, because it's a video there's no need for consideration of that. That takes too much logical thinking.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Why don't they try to defend whatever reason that had to make DNF such a terrible game while they're at it?

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
I actually think the guy has a point when you look at how Duke has been portrayed in previous games (Duke Nukem 3D in particular where you are actually punished for killing the women by enemies spawning in and Duke himself saying something along the lines of 'damn it'), the man objectifies and oggles women, sure, but he isn't really violent towards them.

More of a chivelrous pervert than a woman beating thug.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
Naturally fitting, as he recently seems to run out of breath about as fast as an old man sprinting...

I was hoping they would give some reasons for why the game sucks balls.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
lwm3398 said:
Deathninja19 said:
You're putting way too much logic into this. He is black. A man who makes a video game called him an asshole. VIDEO GAMES THINK BLACK PEOPLE ARE ASSHOLES.

It does matter that he's just a developer or a publicist, or if he was just an intern. He is the game. He is what the game says to people. He said a black person was an asshole, and even though that person actually was, because it's a video there's no need for consideration of that. That takes too much logical thinking.
Okay, so what are ALL BLACK PEOPLE LIKE according to you then? Since apparently a Black person that happens to be an asshole doesn't exist?

Don't pointlessly turn this into a racial thing, there is enough of that on youtube and other sites to last an eternity,

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
Trogdor1138 said:
Okay, so what are ALL BLACK PEOPLE LIKE according to you then? Since apparently a Black person that happens to be an asshole doesn't exist?

Don't pointlessly turn this into a racial thing, there is enough of that on youtube and other sites to last an eternity,
I wasn't saying I agreed with that statement. I was saying that, hypothetically, there would be people ignorantly saying something like that. I'm not saying a black person who happens to be an asshole doesn't exist. I'm saying that since this is a video game and being judged as one, people will make it seem like that, and also make it seem like this game is racist.

I'm not agreeing with that. I'm disagreeing with it and thinking people will turn it into a racial thing.

So do me a favor and recognize when I'm using hypothetical situations to make a comment, okay?

metaphysical

Jun 11, 2011
the Dev doesn't get it, does he?

the Duke isn't Chris Brown, no, but he's only one or two stops further up the line.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
So...he reduces the issue of sexism to physical violence?
And he finds it "offensive" that someone might take offense at a game mode called "Capture the Babe" wherein you give a female an "encouraging slap" on the bottom?

Is it just me, or does Pritchford come off as thoroughly oblivious in every public statement he makes?

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
lwm3398 said:
Trogdor1138 said:

I wasn't saying I agreed with that statement. I was saying that, hypothetically, there would be people ignorantly saying something like that. I'm not saying a black person who happens to be an asshole doesn't exist. I'm saying that since this is a video game and being judged as one, people will make it seem like that, and also make it seem like this game is racist.

I'm not agreeing with that. I'm disagreeing with it and thinking people will turn it into a racial thing.

So do me a favor and recognize when I'm using hypothetical situations to make a comment, okay?
Oh, it didn't seem worded like that. Apologies mate. I agree with you on that.

Nobody tell Fox.

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
Trogdor1138 said:
Oh, it didn't seem worded like that. Apologies mate. I agree with you on that.

Nobody tell Fox.
My apologies as well, then.

Please god nobody tell Fox. Remember Bulletstorm influencing rape in children because of the achievement jokes? This is like that, but with racism. And even less logical.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
pffh said:
Broady Brio said:
Since when did Duke HIT women like Chris Brown? I haven't played ANY of the games, so I may be missing something here.
Well in Duke Nukem 3d there were these ladies that had been impregnated by the aliens and were now unable to move while being slowly eaten alive by the alien spawns inside them. Whenever you found one they would always beg for death and you could kill them.

But I doubt that counts.
Mercy Killing.

I think Duke is more of the....Men Before AXE era of men....Where you were awesome and women thrived over you...."Being a Dbag w/o being a Dbag" sorta ideal

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
vansau said:
In fact, if I were Pitchford, I'd be more concerned (and trying to do damage control) about how the game's console version is apparently a lot less impressive than the PC build is.
Wait, what? I played the PC demo, and it was awful. The console version is worse? How is that even possible?

shaboinkin said:
I think Duke would kick that guy's ass.

Too bad Duke can't kick.
I see what you did there. Sad, but funny. Heh.

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
lwm3398 said:
Add "racist" to the list of things this video game might now be called. Calling Chris Brown an asshole is the exact opposite of a good move at this point.
Right, because calling a dude who beats the shit out of a young woman an 'asshole' is racist.

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
Cliff_m85 said:
Right, because calling a dude who beats the shit out of a young woman an 'asshole' is racist.
I didn't say that. I said it might be called that by ignorant people just because Chris Brown happens to be black. This is a video game and the media we're talking about. Logic need not apply.

Is Chris Brown an asshole? Yes. Is it racist to call him one? No. Will some media source ignorantly say that because of this one example, that this game thinks all black people are assholes? Almost certainly.

I in no way agree, I'm just saying that hypothetically a media source might overreact and say this game is racist. Should probably clarify that with an edit.