Gearbox: Duke Nukem is "Not a Chris Brown Kind of Character"

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
lwm3398 said:
Add "racist" to the list of things this video game might now be called. Calling Chris Brown an asshole is the exact opposite of a good move at this point.
Errrm because it totally matters if he is black or white and beat a woman? he NEVER said anything to the effect of it being racist. What if he said that Duke wasn't a "typical redneck wife beater" would that be racist against white people? because I sure as hell think it would be. He mentioned one specific and FAMOUS case (which is the reason i believe he use that example, so people know what he is on about) NOT because he is black. There is NOTHING racist about what Randy said, you're acting overly PC for no reason whatsoever.

OT: There is BIG difference between being a misogynist and "loving" a woman the way Duke does.

Bitter_one13

L'Amere Roi
Oct 16, 2009
I'm sorry, this is bugging me a little bit. The game has been out for the total of 27 hours now, my time. North America shouldn't even have a released copy right now, so how is everyone saying it sucks? I'm pushing through it, and I'm maybe 3 hours in. It's not 14 year development cycle good, but it damn sure isn't bad. B or B+ effort.

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
hopeneverdies said:
Traun said:
I don't get it, why do game devs try to defend their games?

The media is barking, let them have their fun for 15 minutes and let it go.
While press is press, bad press isn't as helpful to sales.
The only press that'll listen to him, or broadcast his opinion is the gaming one and we are already on his side.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Bitter_one13 said:
I'm sorry, this is bugging me a little bit. The game has been out for the total of 27 hours now, my time. North America shouldn't even have a released copy right now, so how is everyone saying it sucks? I'm pushing through it, and I'm maybe 3 hours in. It's not 14 year development cycle good, but it damn sure isn't bad. B or B+ effort.
I still have to wait roughly 3 days before I get my copy, so let me ask this of you: Does the story, at least, stay somewhat true to what Duke's encountered throughout the series? And is Duke's patented humor still there? I can care less about gameplay and mechanics being arse (unless it's so arse that you can't get your head around it) so long as there's still some semblance of "Duke" in the game, I'll be content.

Bitter_one13

L'Amere Roi
Oct 16, 2009
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
I still have to wait roughly 3 days before I get my copy, so let me ask this of you: Does the story, at least, stay somewhat true to what Duke's encountered throughout the series? And is Duke's patented humor still there? I can care less about gameplay and mechanics being arse (unless it's so arse that you can't get your head around it) so long as there's still some semblance of "Duke" in the game, I'll be content.
Well, the gameplay is different. It's got a two-gun, regenerating health system like Halo. But otherwise, it reminded me a lot of Duke Nukem 3d. The levels were huge and fleshed out, they felt like they could be real places. The jokes felt pretty dated, but I still had a few chuckles, and they felt right in Duke's voice. Again, I'm really not that far into it, but it's fun.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
They need to stop defending this title. It looks very bad that they are constantly on the defense, and that lends credence to the whiners view that it's terrible towards women. Don't justify, it's stupid. You aren't going to win, but they don't have to either, only it looks like they are simply because you keep returning to and defending it. I just saw a Deus Ex Human Revolution video on youtube where a guy ran around beating the crap out of women, I'm a horrible person because it was hilarious, but I don't care. Hell, my girlfriend thought it was hilarious.

Meh... for your enjoyment:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYpuzHyEY8Q

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
Zenode said:
Errrm because it totally matters if he is black or white and beat a woman? he NEVER said anything to the effect of it being racist. What if he said that Duke wasn't a "typical redneck wife beater" would that be racist against white people? because I sure as hell think it would be. He mentioned one specific and FAMOUS case (which is the reason i believe he use that example, so people know what he is on about) NOT because he is black. There is NOTHING racist about what Randy said, you're acting overly PC for no reason whatsoever.

OT: There is BIG difference between being a misogynist and "loving" a woman the way Duke does.
Just please go look at my other posts on this thread. Don't make me write it all out for the fifth time. Mostly, what I meant was, people who are actually overly PC and who commonly get pissy about the slightest things that happen in video games with say this game inspires racism because of this one comment.

I do not agree with that, I was jut anticipating it being said.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Bitter_one13 said:
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Well, the gameplay is different. It's got a two-gun, regenerating health system like Halo. But otherwise, it reminded me a lot of Duke Nukem 3d. The levels were huge and fleshed out, they felt like they could be real places. The jokes felt pretty dated, but I still had a few chuckles, and they felt right in Duke's voice. Again, I'm really not that far into it, but it's fun.
Well, after 12 years I think I can be content with it being fun. I wasn't expecting anything especially groundbreaking, but so long as it retained its Duke level of fun, I can be happy playing it alongside of the Duke bust I'll get in three days. =)

Frotality

Oct 25, 2010
okay, his latest game may suck, but dont you EVER compare the awesome-sauce that is duke nukem to that hack chris brown EVER AGAIN!

uhh...

...who am i yelling at? that comparison is just so wrong it sent my brain into rage mode for a second...

dOrOrOwait

Mar 16, 2011
You are fighting over it like its even going to be released in australia... You wont even be able to see those bits because they will be edited out to make sure its alright for little babies to play. Thats what australia does.

Duke has always been a womanizer, that's part of his schtick, Isn't that why he was famous in the first place? I think the only difference is its being released in a generation where its not okay to be a womanizer as it was. The whole point of Duke is to be an amusing stereotype, isnt it?

P.S I can think of better examples than Chris Brown for damage to women.

Murmur95

Sep 18, 2008
I just finished the game and I was hoping for a lot more comedy...I knew the story / gameplay was going to suck but I was quite disappointed.

The funniest thing in the game was when someone told duke that his green power armor was ready "only pansies wear power armor"

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
lwm3398 said:
Ok then, sorry about that, I don't usually read the comments beyond the first dozen or so.

You should probably change your OP so that other people like me don't misinterpret you as being some overzealous PC person, like i did.

callmegreen

Jan 29, 2011
Not getting the game but.... Agreed

Dukes LOOVESS the ladies and thinks they are gods gift to humanity
and would never harm a lovely lady.

And NO giving let a spanking doesnt count.. FOR DUKE

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Yes. Risking your life on numerous occasions and doing immpossibly dangerous things throughout the UNIVERSE all for the sake of women is sooooo sexists.

Sarcasm Translations: No one cares more about women than Duke.

Coranico

Jul 28, 2009
Dr. wonderful said:
So how is Duke better?

Seriously, he's not even that cool.
He used to be cool, and to some who ignore the existence of DNF he still is. There's a time where when you used the words, "badass," and,"video game," in a sentance, immediately people would think on the Duke. As a character he's never really been sexist, he's always been portrayed as a badass playboy who would kick an alien race's ass to save women, this was due to his desire to bone, but still...

DNF feels exactly how it should, it's been in developement for 12 years and has been flung between developers so many times it's become confused about what game it really is. The end result is an FPS which somehow managed to take a leviathan sized step back from its predecessor, i never really expected more than that, but i certainly didn't expect a Duke game to be so unlike a Duke game.

I still have faith in Gearbox though, they didn't technically make the game and hopefully now they can make an actual Duke Nukem that feels right.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
If all Randy has on his mind is how Duke treats women, he should be working for Cosmopolitan magazine. Because frankly what came out of the game shows.
True the garbage that is coming out of the game is more from 3D Realms, but Gearbox let all that slide by. Frankly Gearbox should have thrown all that out the window, and could have had a completely new game out by 1Q 2012 with no penalty. Well, except for the driving, but everyone has their flaws.
It is too bad to wait this long for a big stinking pile of waste matter. I might get the game when it goes down in price, a lot, but I sure as heck ain't paying $50 for this now. And I feel sorry for those who did.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Bitter_one13 said:
If you go into the game with the mindset that DNF is an adventure game, and not an FPS, then you won't be as disappointed. Except for the part where you have to think of DNF as an adventure game and not an FPS in order to find the relevance.