Force A Teen Girl To Swordfight, Go To Jail

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Force A Teen Girl To Swordfight, Go To Jail

A 38-year-old Washington man is in jail after forcing his 16-year-old stepdaughter to duel him with a wooden sword.

On Saturday, October 15, Fremon Seay's teenaged stepdaughter went to a party in Puyallup, Washington. By going she was defying Seay and her mother, and Seay drove to the event and dragged her home.

Typical situation for the parents of a teenager, right? So far. When they arrived home however, things took a turn for the baffling.

After beating the girl with what reports are calling "a tree branch," the 300-plus pound Seay sat on the girl's back, before deciding to blend her punishment with his ongoing love of the Renaissance Fair. Seay, it seems, spends much of his free time dressed in faux armor having faux swordfights with other adults dressed as faux knights, and now that his stepdaughter was 16, he decided that she was now old enough to have a swordfight with him.

Thus, she was sent off to gather her armor. On returning to the front lawn, the girl was forced to battle her stepfather -- an event that consisted entirely of Seay beating the girl with a wooden sword from 2AM to 4AM. Following the "duel," the girl collapsed, covered in bruises.

At this point, "her parents allegedly made her strip down to her underwear and then watch a 'Sunday sermon' on TV by an unknown preacher," according to the generally reliable Seattle Weekly [http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/2011/10/fremon_seay_yelm_renaissance_d.php].

During the sermon she managed to send a text message to a friend, and the friend, concerned, phoned the police.

Fremon Seay was booked on charges of second-degree assault, and is currently being held on $10,000 bail. Julie Seay, the girl's biological mother, was likewise arrested and is being held on $5,000 bail for her complicity in the event.

Whenever an event like this occurs -- and by "event like this," I mean anything that is simultaneously horrid and almost hilariously weird -- it is always our first instinct as rational human beings to assuage our fears of a truly random, uncaring reality by assigning blame.

So, what would you boys and girls like to pin this on? The RenFaire scene? Organized religion? The idiosyncrasies of rural America? Personally, I was leaning toward "fat dudes with cliché facial hair," but I'm up for whatever.

Source: MSNBC [http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/44943326/ns/local_news-seattle_wa/#.Tp3NgnHY2Eo]

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
This wasn't a swordfight, and it's an insult to even the Ren Faire folk to call it one. This was a straight-up beating.

EvilScoop

Oct 19, 2008
This guy looks like the White Uncle Phil.

Uncle Phil: Geoffrey, get me my tools.
Geoffrey: You mean your Sword and Tunic?

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
So, what would you boys and girls like to pin this on?
I think "The ingrained insanity that lurks in every human being." just about covers it. Humans can be such weird critters, and we're all susceptible to it in one way or another.

Jup, nothing to see here folks. Just another crazed human. Let the law handle it. Awful stuff like this doesn't really deserve much attention.
Still the coolest character after the Imp, even though he's a minor one. I keep my fingers crossed that he'll make an epic return and continues to tutor Arya when he finds her. Spoil nothing!

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I blame the weather. All that cold and (EDIT: for some reason I thoughtt hat said michigan, so i apologize seattleans, you guys get rain) rain makes people go crazy. Just ask Sarah Palin. XD

But seriously, thats wrong. he beat a girl two separate times with a break in between to make her go get ready for the next one. and reading thsi Im not entirely sure that when he brought her home fro the party he was entirely gentle about that either.

theres not really a lot else that can be said.

EDIT:

Though when i first read the title I thought it said to swordfish fight, so I came into this thread expecting more awesomeness and insanity.

LostAlone

Sep 3, 2010
Honestly, I find it tough to see the funny in this one.

I mean, it could be funny if the headline was pretty close to the truth, like the parents made her fight a genuine LARP duel at 2am as a punishment. That's weird and baffling and funny because its kinda harmless.

But even with costumes and crazy people 'guy beats teenage daughter' just isn't funny.

Sorry guys. Its not.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
You know what I blame this on... that guy. Seriously, that's all their is to it.

I'm torn. On the one hand that is some pretty serious child abuse right there, and it must have been extremely traumatic for the girl (not that having a dad that goes out dressed like that anyway isn't traumatic enough). On the other hand, I just can't stop laughing.

fgdfgdgd

May 9, 2009
Pfft, if she had learned how to sword fight instead of going out against her parents wishes then she'd have been fine! sarcasm people, sarcasm, put the caps lock down

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
now it'd be pretty cool to have a parent who ENCOURAGES me to learn to sword fight with them...but not this way heh

and I do lean towards "fat dudes with cliché facial hair" to blame

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
I always though people who dress up and go to the Renaissance Fair were deranged.

Guess I was right... : /

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Incoming a torrent of posts consisting of the phrase "lost faith in humanity".

OT: Man, when white trash go larping... they really go all out.

In all seriousness though, this is horrible. I hope for the girl's sake, she doesn't have to ever see those assholes again.

shootandshiver

Aug 3, 2011
Thats the problem with other people's kin.

Two hours is a little nuts for sword training, let alone beating.

I dont know. I have a hard time caring since they demanded against corperal punishment.

'I beat em with a rubber hose for four hours, then my arm got tired, so i came here'

BTW, assigning blame is just one shait-headed political faction trying to quarrel with another, but i think the word 'rational' was sarcastic.

I will say my peice on this.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
First off, the title is incredibly misleading. This wasn't a sword-fight. This was a beating, and was started with another beating. Slightly strange? Yes. But in the end it's still him beating the girl for hours for a stupid reason like going to a party.

In fact, that leads me to the second question. Why the hell did this need to be posted here? I honestly don't understand. I've been seeing a lot of 'ungaming' (as the tags seem to say) news that I honestly don't think belong here. I'll admit the Escapist isn't just a video-game related website, but I'd still consider it an 'entertainment-focused website.' That doesn't mean serious stuff needs to be avoided. But I do think that it still needs to have some relation to the other content or main focus of the site. As it is, this story seems really out of place here.

Bazaalmon

Apr 19, 2009
I think this is a case of fantasy being taken WAY to seriously. You can enjoy your renaissance/fantasy/whatever all you like, but when it becomes an obsession, and your desire to live in your fantasy world overrides your concern for humans in ours, it's time to get committed.
Seriously though, this whole "swordfight" seems like an excuse for an abusive stepfather to get off the hook at court on the basis of being completely batshit crazy.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
I say tie the dad to a chair, and give the girl a real sword, now things are a tad more fair

adamtm

Aug 22, 2010
I'd like to pin it on the escapist, the dad probably read the religion and politics section.