A 20-Minute Walkthrough of Star Wars: The Old Republic

oneniesteledain

Aug 5, 2009
Nincompoop said:
They are referring to cut scenes as something positive.

I hate the fact that everyone makes such a huge-fucking-deal out of cut scenes. Plus, it will feel weird knowing that 47,256 other players are also "the best shot [that mentor] has seen".

I kinda lost my interest in the game right now. Doesn't look good (graphically, although it might improve, I doubt it will be much better) and the action doesn't seem realistic. The only good thing about this game (so far) was the cinematic trailer.

Addendum; The melee on melee fights look cool.
Isn't this the same with every MMO?

Tremp10k

Aug 23, 2009
my friends are trying to get me into WoW and with all the cataclysm stuff coming out i was losing faith in this game...wont happen again

LewsTherin

Jun 22, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
From the description I got from orannis, looks fun. Still the Sith seem slightly over-powered no matter what the limits imposed on them are, but taking the Jedi's Lightsaber was B.A.
The sith aren't overpowered. It's Bioware. I'm certain they aren't gonna buy into the whole "OMFG SITH ARE SO EDGY AND DARK!" bit. After all, most of the classes don't even have lightsabers or force powers.

Jul 9, 2008
LewsTherin said:
NoMoreSanity said:
From the description I got from orannis, looks fun. Still the Sith seem slightly over-powered no matter what the limits imposed on them are, but taking the Jedi's Lightsaber was B.A.
The sith aren't overpowered. It's Bioware. I'm certain they aren't gonna buy into the whole "OMFG SITH ARE SO EDGY AND DARK!" bit. After all, most of the classes don't even have lightsabers or force powers.
I think he just means that the force-users will be overpowered.

ygetoff

Oct 22, 2008
vivaldiscool said:
I'm just curious why they were on an Imperial vessel. Isn't this Star wars: the old republic?
It's the Sith Empire. Like from KoTOR 1 and 2.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
I have been amazed. The Smuggler is by far the coolest character ever, and he hath received mine vote for coolest dude ever.

The Flash Points look questionable to me. It certainly lends a higher grade of control over your characters fate, but I see three major problems with them.

1.) I worry about whether or not Bioware will use these to their full potential. From what we saw, it looked like all the decision to kill the captain did was choose which group of enemies the party fought. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. There's just SO much more that could be done, I would hate to see it go to waste.

2.) Unless they implement some sort of faction drift thing (*crosses fingers to allow a neutral faction*), "light" points and "dark" points will have no use outside of game mechanics, especially if...

3.) No one roleplays. I am going to be severely less interested in Flash Points if I can't roleplay successfully in The Old Republic. If Bioware isn't smart enough to have roleplay-enforced servers (with actual penalties if you don't roleplay), the game will suffer for it, especially since a large portion of ToR's forumites have said that they plan on roleplaying through the game.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
ygetoff said:
vivaldiscool said:
I'm just curious why they were on an Imperial vessel. Isn't this Star wars: the old republic?
It's the Sith Empire. Like from KoTOR 1 and 2.
Indeed, Palpatines Empire was modeled after the old Sith Empire.

NoMoreSanity said:
orannis62 said:
Yeah, in that they can probably Force-Choke you to death while your means of defense are looking scared and shitting your pants.

Also I saw some of it, and all I can say it OMG HE KICKED THAT GUY IN THE CROTCH THEN SHOT HIM IN THE HEAD!!!!1!
Actually, if you pay attention, the force choke duration was much shorter on the Jedi then it was on the Jedi Padawan. To me this suggests higher level characters will be less affected by force powers.

simmeh

Jan 25, 2009
Looks intriguing, but for one problem:

If you're forced to sit through the cutscene for every single event, I feel like the game could quickly become more of a chore than an adventure. I imagine that you could speed through the conversations when viewing them alone, but what happens if you're in a group of people? What if the group is split over whether they want to listen to all the dialogue or not?

Personally, I don't really mind cutscenes, unless it's the umpteenth time seeing them. I still sit through most of the dialogue in the original KotOR, even though I've played through it several times. But I would think that unskippable cutscenes would be a huge turn-off for some gamers.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
simmeh said:

If you're forced to sit through the cutscene for every single event, I feel like the game could quickly become more of a chore than an adventure. I imagine that you could speed through the conversations when viewing them alone, but what happens if you're in a group of people? What if the group is split over whether they want to listen to all the dialogue or not?

Personally, I don't really mind cutscenes, unless it's the umpteenth time seeing them. I still sit through most of the dialogue in the original KotOR, even though I've played through it several times. But I would think that unskippable cutscenes would be a huge turn-off for some gamers.
Then you have a skip vote, like in Guild Wars.

Razorback0z

Feb 10, 2009
simmeh said:

/agreed

It does not take into acount basic MMO mechanics like people wanting to play every different toon to L10 to work out what suits them. By the time you get through the cutscenes on your third toon the rest of the server will be in the end game.

simmeh

Jan 25, 2009
TsunamiWombat said:
simmeh said:
I'm not familiar with Guild Wars, so maybe you can enlighten me:

When forming parties, aside from the usual, "looking for tank/healer/dps/etc." ads, was there also a, "skipping cutscenes" ad, as to not piss off people who want to watch all the scenes without being voted down?

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
I'm having difficulty typing this on my keyboard, as it is currently covered in drool.

I am a tad dissapointed the combat system looks more WoW then KOTOR, but I do enjoy WoW, so it's not that big of a deal. I just hope they keep the same or at least a similar level up system as in KOTOR. If it's like WoW's... well, I'll still play the game, but I'll be extremely dissapointed in them.

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
I honestly wasn't planning on making much of this. I was like "Eh, it looks alright" now I'm more of "Eh, the animations are a little awkward, but WHO THE FUCK CARES I CAN BE HAN SOLO!"

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
simmeh said:
TsunamiWombat said:
simmeh said:
I'm not familiar with Guild Wars, so maybe you can enlighten me:

When forming parties, aside from the usual, "looking for tank/healer/dps/etc." ads, was there also a, "skipping cutscenes" ad, as to not piss off people who want to watch all the scenes without being voted down?
Nope, when you come to a cutscene you get a prompt to skip. I think a majority has to vote yes to skip. If everyone doesn't vote to skip, either A. It is not skipped or B. Majority wins or C. Those who voted to skip do, those who did not get left behind.

I...honestly can't remember.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
[HEADING=1]I want!I want!I want!I want!I want!I want!I want!I want!I want!I want!I want!I want!I want!I want!I want!I want!I want!I want!I want!I want!I want!I want!I want!I want!I want!I want!I want!I want!I want!I want!I want!I want!I want!I want!I want!I want!I want!I want!I want!I want!I want! NOW! NOW! NOW! NOW! NOW! NOW! NOW! NOW! NOW! NOW! NOW! NOW! NOW![/HEADING]

LewsTherin

Jun 22, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
orannis62 said:
Yeah, in that they can probably Force-Choke you to death while your means of defense are looking scared and shitting your pants.

Also I saw some of it, and all I can say it OMG HE KICKED THAT GUY IN THE CROTCH THEN SHOT HIM IN THE HEAD!!!!1!
Kicking a sith in the balls when he's not looking will, in fact, stop you from getting force-choked. Until he recovers. Again, this is Bioware. They'll figure it out.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Flying-Emu said:
3.) No one roleplays. I am going to be severely less interested in Flash Points if I can't roleplay successfully in The Old Republic. If Bioware isn't smart enough to have roleplay-enforced servers (with actual penalties if you don't roleplay), the game will suffer for it, especially since a large portion of ToR's forumites have said that they plan on roleplaying through the game.
I take issue with this for one reason: Sometimes I don't feel like roleplaying. As long as I'm not disrupting anyone else's game experience, I shouldn't be penalised for not roleplaying 24/7.

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
orannis62 said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Playbahnosh said:
Maybe you should play some different games, brah.
Or stop quoting Yahtzee verbatim.
*knock-knock* Hello? Your "sense of humor" chips are broken? Really now, cheer up :) It was just some sarcasm, how this games looks nothing like an MMOG, and I like the concept.