A 20-Minute Walkthrough of Star Wars: The Old Republic

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
orannis62 said:
Nincompoop said:
They are referring to cut scenes as something positive.

I hate the fact that everyone makes such a huge-fucking-deal out of cut scenes. Plus, it will feel weird knowing that 47,256 other players are also "the best shot [that mentor] has seen".
Cutscenes are good. If nothing else, they're much less immersion-breaking than small text boxes, which is the only other option I can see.
Just plain and simple speech. You click on a guy, and he speaks to you, as he stands there. Whether you just stand there or access inventory. No camera angles (that reveal poor graphics)

orannis62 said:
As for the second part, that's just an inherent problem of MMOs.
Then why do the impossible and try to bypass it? It's like they're making an MMO, but try as hard as they can to make it look like a single-player RPG.

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
oneniesteledain said:
Nincompoop said:

I hate the fact that everyone makes such a huge-fucking-deal out of cut scenes. Plus, it will feel weird knowing that 47,256 other players are also "the best shot [that mentor] has seen".

I kinda lost my interest in the game right now. Doesn't look good (graphically, although it might improve, I doubt it will be much better) and the action doesn't seem realistic. The only good thing about this game (so far) was the cinematic trailer.

Addendum; The melee on melee fights look cool.
Isn't this the same with every MMO?
Good point. Stop making MMOs look like non-MMOs! They will NEVER succeed at what these guys are trying to do.

oneniesteledain

Aug 5, 2009
Nincompoop said:
oneniesteledain said:
Nincompoop said:

I kinda lost my interest in the game right now. Doesn't look good (graphically, although it might improve, I doubt it will be much better) and the action doesn't seem realistic. The only good thing about this game (so far) was the cinematic trailer.

Good point. Stop making MMOs look like non-MMOs! They will NEVER succeed at what these guys are trying to do.
Don't get me wrong, I'll still play an MMO. But the fact that they never have to reconcile the idea of you being a hero, with the idea that everyone else is gets pretty annoying.

So I just do what I do when I think about the science of Star Wars...I just accept that it's mostly crap, but enjoy the ride anyway. If I want something where not everyone is an invincible hero, I'll read a book, or play a single-player game.

Another thing mostly all MMOs do: when you die, you can be resurrected, but you enemies can't, even if they're the same species as you.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
scifidownbeat said:
Eh. I was skeptical from the beginning (actually, more like PO-ed), and I still am. I will not accept this as the third game in the KoTOR trilogy unless the single-player mode is satisfying. I am NOT paying a monthly fee to play multiplayer.
There will be no single-player mode. It's an MMORPG. You play online or don't play it. :/

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
oneniesteledain said:
Nincompoop said:
oneniesteledain said:
Nincompoop said:

Don't get me wrong, I'll still play an MMO. But the fact that they never have to reconcile the idea of you being a hero, with the idea that everyone else is gets pretty annoying.

So I just do what I do when I think about the science of Star Wars...I just accept that it's mostly crap, but enjoy the ride anyway. If I want something where not everyone is an invincible hero, I'll read a book, or play a single-player game.

Another thing mostly all MMOs do: when you die, you can be resurrected, but you enemies can't, even if they're the same species as you.
I personally don't care much for story and atmosphere. But it is impossible to make an MMO immersive. Plus, it has to be balanced, whereas in other RPG games you can eventually get so powerful that you can do everything, which I like. And you will probably never see cutting-edge physics engine embedded in an MMO.

oneniesteledain

Aug 5, 2009
[/quote]

I personally don't care much for story and atmosphere. But it is impossible to make an MMO immersive. Plus, it has to be balanced, whereas in other RPG games you can eventually get so powerful that you can do everything, which I like. And you will probably never see cutting-edge physics engine embedded in an MMO.[/quote]

Yeah, I understand the balance thing. Also, by keeping the physics and grapchics simple, you reach a much larger target audience. This is true with any type of PC game. Though they were supposed to make a good engine for lightsaber duels...

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Darrkon Fearlock said:
Amnestic said:
Darrkon Fearlock said:
I just don't know, I'm not sure if it's because I'm not the biggest fan of MMO's or because the Jedi seem like they'll be incredibly imbalanced, but I'm just not feeling it.
Really? The Bounty Hunter seemed like an excellent Jedi counter class. Stun darts and the Flamethrower seemed to castrate the Jedi's blaster reflection ability and would be able to keep him at range. Of course, we didn't see any of the Jedi's force powers (just the Sith Warrior's) but I doubt Jedi will be overpowered.
Sure the Bounty Hunter will be a good counter class, but what happens if your a Smuggler or a Republic Trooper?
Well, there was the flashbang grenade on the smuggler that we saw, and we haven't actually seen what the Republic Trooper has to offer yet so we don't know.

My point was: Don't draw conclusions about final game balance from a 20 minute alpha video. We'll have to wait until the finished product before we can judge if Class A is overpowered and Class D needs a buff to their primary damage attacks, whereas Class C needs a 2 second reduction on X Crowd Control ability which can be chained in conjunction with Class E to create a total lockdown period.

It's a bit premature to be judging game balance right now, that's all I'm saying.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
scifidownbeat said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
scifidownbeat said:
Eh. I was skeptical from the beginning (actually, more like PO-ed), and I still am. I will not accept this as the third game in the KoTOR trilogy unless the single-player mode is satisfying. I am NOT paying a monthly fee to play multiplayer.
There will be no single-player mode. It's an MMORPG. You play online or don't play it. :/
...oh.
Right.

[sub]Am I the only gamer on God's green earth who feels cheated by BioWare? Or is everyone too mezmerized by the explosions and bad-assery?[/sub]
Revan/The Exile's story isn't over yet and I doubt TOR will finish it considering the time gap. KoTOR3 is...well, I see it as an eventuality with no set date. They've got Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 2 (and then ME3) on their plates at the moment. It's not as if they've got their dev teams sat around doing nothing.

We'll see KoTOR3 eventually, I have little doubt of that. For now, sit back and enjoy the explosions.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
scifidownbeat said:
Amnestic said:
scifidownbeat said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
scifidownbeat said:
Me, thinking TOR has single-player.
CantFakeTheFunk, reminding me that MMORPG's don't have single-player.
Me, feeling betrayed by BioWare (forget Darth Traya, if she's been betrayed, I've been betrayed AND effed up the ass).
Revan/The Exile's story isn't over yet and I doubt TOR will finish it considering the time gap. KoTOR3 is...well, I see it as an eventuality with no set date (kind of like Team Gizka's restoration project). They've got Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 2 (and then ME3) on their plates at the moment. It's not as if they've got their dev teams sat around doing nothing.

We'll see KoTOR3 eventually, I have little doubt of that. For now, sit back and enjoy the explosions.
What about Obsidian? Can't they do something?

Dammit, I've been waiting 6 years for a sequel to KoTOR 2! All I want is some closure... *sob*

I suppose I'm just another whining little fanboy.
Obsidian Entertainment are currently working on Fallout: New Vegas as far as I know, which will be a successor to Fallout 3, but not a sequel apparently.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
This looks awesome. I was pretty excited before, but those videos made me even more psyched for it.

I wonder if there will be any other races aside from human. Well, except for the Sith, the xenophobic bastards.

LordBag

Jan 10, 2008
Looks great, I wasn't too keen on the idea at first but after watching this it seems to have great potential. My main concerns after watching are how this dialogue system will work and what kind of instancing they have set up.

Have they even speculated at a launch yet? I would expect it's still quite a long way off judging from the information available.

FallenPrism

Jan 7, 2009
I started off psyched for this game and it keeps getting better for me. The biggest surprise to me though was my response to the combat. I was crazily looking forward to the smuggler (and I still am to a point) but all of the blaster combat looked...well, odd. I'm hoping that goes away with a bit of polish, but even if it doesn't, omg sith warrior (and likely Jedi as well). It was always my intention to fairly well ignore the force users because part of me felt it would be cliche and another part of me tends to avoid melee combat as much as possible...but in this case it just looks so awesome! So much for my original intentions.

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
Playbahnosh said:
"first, I'm gonna wave at somebody, that's what you do in MMG-s"
LoL! Seriously?

Well, the game looks like it's a single player game, but with thousands of others playing it beside you. I mean, five minute long cutscenes? Fully voiced NPC-s? Actual story, with multiple choices? This is not an MMOG. This game looks like it's actually FUN! MMOGs are bad looking, don't have a story (that you care about), NPC-s are only there to give loot and quests that say "kill x of monster y" or "get x items from monster y and bring it to stationary cockhead z".

MMOs are not meant to have a meaning, only to serve as a second job and a lesson in humiliation and how society looks in it's rawest form. Spammers, griefers, greedy merchants, money farmers, and of course whiny, bitchy teenage kids with inflated egos.

This game looks different. It looks like something even I want to play.
You sir, have a point. QFT

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
godofallu said:
Playbahnosh said:
"first, I'm gonna wave at somebody, that's what you do in MMG-s"
LoL! Seriously?

Well, the game looks like it's a single player game, but with thousands of others playing it beside you. I mean, five minute long cutscenes? Fully voiced NPC-s? Actual story, with multiple choices? This is not an MMOG. This game looks like it's actually FUN! MMOGs are bad looking, don't have a story (that you care about), NPC-s are only there to give loot and quests that say "kill x of monster y" or "get x items from monster y and bring it to stationary cockhead z".

MMOs are not meant to have a meaning, only to serve as a second job and a lesson in humiliation and how society looks in it's rawest form. Spammers, griefers, greedy merchants, money farmers, and of course whiny, bitchy teenage kids with inflated egos.

This game looks different. It looks like something even I want to play.
You sir, have a point. QFT
You know, i have a point too. Don't ressurrect year old threads.