A 20-Minute Walkthrough of Star Wars: The Old Republic

Jul 9, 2008
Playbahnosh said:
orannis62 said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Playbahnosh said:
Maybe you should play some different games, brah.
Or stop quoting Yahtzee verbatim.
*knock-knock* Hello? Your "sense of humor" chips are broken? Really now, cheer up :) It was just some sarcasm, how this games looks nothing like an MMOG, and I like the concept.
I know it was a joke. It just wasn't very funny.

Artemis923

Dec 25, 2008
Hrrm. I wonder how the immersion will hold up with loads of people running about saying "WTB>LIGHTSABER@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@"

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Amnestic said:
Flying-Emu said:
3.) No one roleplays. I am going to be severely less interested in Flash Points if I can't roleplay successfully in The Old Republic. If Bioware isn't smart enough to have roleplay-enforced servers (with actual penalties if you don't roleplay), the game will suffer for it, especially since a large portion of ToR's forumites have said that they plan on roleplaying through the game.
I take issue with this for one reason: Sometimes I don't feel like roleplaying. As long as I'm not disrupting anyone else's game experience, I shouldn't be penalised for not roleplaying 24/7.
Fair enough. So long as I don't walk into city chat and see "WTB 46 ESSENCE OF FIRE LOLOLOLOL" I don't really care if you don't roleplay. Perhaps have a tag on the "Inspect" panel that people can toggle to Roleplaying or not.

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
I'm glad they didn't try to model things realistically. I prefer the cartoon look. However, I think the broad shouldered dudes and the big chested girls are a bit overdone. I can just imagine the modelers arguing about keeping more subtle proportions while the art director tells them that they know shit and grossly proportioned characters are what sells.

Also, because they have a chiseled cartoon style (doesn't require high polygon counts) I hope the system specs are reasonable. There's nothing that I've seen in the video to suggest that a 256MB video card and 1GB of RAM won't suffice, but I've been wrong before. Bioware, please make this game run well on a modest machine.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
"we wave at someone because that's what you do in an mmo" ridiculously ignorant sounding anouncer
It's called a joke. Thor's Hammer, he's just injecting a little humour.

"I'm just here to cause damage and kill people" in game dialogue
Sometimes, simple is best. What happens if you really are just there to cause damage and kill people? It wouldn't be right to lie to them.

if this game ends up fucking up any of the precious memories i have of KOTOR i will personally never purchase a bioware game again.
This has always irked me. Why would a game of a completely different genre ruin your memories of a completely different game?

Furthermore, Kreia was only in KotOR2. A game not designed by Bioware but by Obsidian Entertainment. Epoch fail.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Darrkon Fearlock said:
I just don't know, I'm not sure if it's because I'm not the biggest fan of MMO's or because the Jedi seem like they'll be incredibly imbalanced, but I'm just not feeling it.
Really? The Bounty Hunter seemed like an excellent Jedi counter class. Stun darts and the Flamethrower seemed to castrate the Jedi's blaster reflection ability and would be able to keep him at range. Of course, we didn't see any of the Jedi's force powers (just the Sith Warrior's) but I doubt Jedi will be overpowered.

Brett Alex

Jul 22, 2008
I was thinking "Eh, 20 minutes of gameplay footage seems a bit long, its bound to get repetitive, I'll just watch the first one."

That was 20 minutes ago.

Also, the combat looks awesome.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
After watching all four movies, I have to say it's looking interesting. The cover system looks promising, as does the dialogue system. Also, I very much approve of the story-based gameplay. It reminds me of what Turbine tried to do in DDO, only to a greater degree. Basically, it seems Bioware is commited to trying something new.

The art style is not quite what I expected, but the stylized visuals look pretty nice. Some of the animations could use some work, but it's still in Alpha stage so they have plenty of time to sort it out.

My main concern is how all this story-based gameplay will work out in groups, especially larger ones. I can already see people bitching about the dialogue choices made by the other party mambers. If some of the conversations are skippable, someone will inevitably whine about the new player who wants to see it for the first time and is "holding up the group". On the other hand, MMOs have had in-game cutscenes and for the most part players have been accomodating to the new guys who don't want to speed through it.

Overall, this might actually turn out to be worth the money...

ben---neb

No duckies...only drowning
Apr 22, 2009
I don't play MMOs. I don't play MMOs. I don't play MMOs. I don't play MMOs. I don't...oooooh SHINEY!

I'm buying it as soon as I can.

ALKATRAZACAZ

Aug 4, 2009
I don't like the fact that only the bounty hunter could "open" that door.I want to play SWTOR as alone as it can get so i can forget it's a mmo and think it's KOTOR 3 made only for me.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
ALKATRAZACAZ said:
I don't like the fact that only the bounty hunter could "open" that door.I want to play SWTOR as alone as it can get so i can forget it's a mmo and think it's KOTOR 3 made only for me.
We don't know that the Bounty Hunter was the only one who could open the door. We saw later in that video how the Jedi NPC opened a blast door with his lightsaber. It's possible the Sith Warrior could have done the same, they just wanted to show off a bit of teamwork.

It's best not to make assumptions beyond what we're shown.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I....I just nerdgasmed. I want that game, I want it now! And I finally made up my mind, Smuggler it is. Gods, kicking someone in the balls to stun them, that's just awesome.

However, things I still want to see:
- A sign that it's truly a Massive[/]b Multiplayer Online Game.
- PvP battles, preferably big one's.

Jul 9, 2008
ALKATRAZACAZ said:
I was upset about the fact it was an MMO at first too, but might as well embrace it, ne c'est pas? You shouldn't force yourself to dislike it just because it's not ideal.

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
I dont have much experience in MMOs, other than a trial of WoW in which I spent 4 days levelling up my skinning and leatherwork skills and grinding wolves, plus my few voyages into free MMOs.

But this looks better than anything I have seen of an MMO.
The scripted events look a lot more exciting, the combat looks a tad smoother than I remember WoW being and the chance to play a Bounty Hunter has really got me looking forward to this.

I think this is my WoW. I could probably play this for hours on end without feeling like Im only playing for the endgame, which was my main concern with WoW. The vids I watched of WoW showed high level players flying around on mounts, ambushing teams of Horde/Alliance, but from what I can tell there is too much work involved to get to that high level stage that I didnt want to have to put in.

Whereas Old republic gives you some meaningful tasks from the get go and lets you enjoy yourself at a low level.

Tremp10k

Aug 23, 2009
NoMoreSanity said:
orannis62 said:
I think he just means that the force-users will be overpowered.
Yeah, in that they can probably Force-Choke you to death while your means of defense are looking scared and shitting your pants.

Also I saw some of it, and all I can say it OMG HE KICKED THAT GUY IN THE CROTCH THEN SHOT HIM IN THE HEAD!!!!1!
Yes yes he did :)