A bit of deep thought for ya

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
The title lied to me, this is neither 'deep' or do I think it even qualifies as thought.

ThrobbingEgo

Nov 17, 2008
LimaBravo said:
I'm not upset. I didn't really appreciate the cracks that you made about me. Don't attack the person your arguing with, debate the issue. Personal attacks are just rude.

Now, I'm just going to say there are some things that can be logical that can't be measured. Conceptual things, in many cases, can't be measured - but they're logic. Math is real, but mathematic concepts themselves can't be measured. Numbers are measurements but you can't measure the process of multiplication.

And, again, you can't measure the theory of evolution because theories are not things. They're explanations. You can find ways to measure a specimen on a scale, but the idea of things having common ancestors itself (the idea) can't be measured.

Do you understand what I'm trying to convey here?

Delicious

Jan 22, 2009
PurpleRain said:
Ignignoct said:
Define your hypothetical god in a matter that is useful for debate, vice the jello-defense of "well maybe god's not like that, maybe I'm using a different god."
MY hypothetical god is something I haven't made up yet. I never thought of god in the way of a heaven or angels. I don't believe in that. Though it doesn't mean I can't havea discussion about god.

Delicious said:
I see logic as our method of creating patterns to better understand our physical world. These patterns did not exist before we did, and as far as we know may not even exist at all. Logic is fallible, just like its creators, and should not be the ultimate method of defining anything beyond the physical and obvious as it is limited by our own understanding.

We cannot disprove God with logic because logic is a purely human idea, and is not applicable to something that we cannot make patterns about. People who propose ideas such as: "if God is omnipotent, can he make a rock he cannot lift? If he can not lift it, he is not omnipotent, and if he can not make it, he is not omnipotent" speak nothing of God's existence so much as they display their own limited and narrow understandings for they base this argument around the premise that if it does not make sense to them, it does not make sense at all.
See, your first point I totally and utterly agree with. But as I see god as a creature with different planes, the second to me is justafiable. Maybe he (she/it) can't make a rock big enough for whatever physical possestion it has to pick it up, though it could still destroy it with powers beyong us.
I just don't see why he couldn't do both simultaneously. It might not make any sense to us, sure, but neither do a lot of things that we accept to be true, or at least very plausible (ie. something without a beginning or an end). A dog might not understand how his owner could disappear for eight hours of the day when he himself can not disappear, but that does not mean that his owner doesn't leave for work each morning.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
PurpleRain said:
All I'm doing is trying to focus a thought in my head. To imagine what sort of things could surround our positions in the universe.
Ah, I see. This is why I think H. P. Lovecraft was overrated. All his stuff hinged on otherworldly monstrosities that somehow just knowing about them drove you insane. This just never worked for me. It always felt fake. (It's particularly bad in Lovecraft knock-offs. see; In the Mouth of Madness)

The idea of physical laws and such not applying may have seemed interesting in the 1920's, but this sort of thing needs to have something more tangible to it otherwise it's just a quaint, dated idea. The problem with things beyond human comprehension is that you can't understand it, and therefore easily and safely ignore it. They don't drive you insane or die just to look at them. Instead you start to see shapes in the incomprehensible mass the way you see forms in clouds (see; pareidolia).

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
the antithesis said:
PurpleRain said:
All I'm doing is trying to focus a thought in my head. To imagine what sort of things could surround our positions in the universe.
Ah, I see. This is why I think H. P. Lovecraft was overrated. All his stuff hinged on otherworldly monstrosities that somehow just knowing about them drove you insane. This just never worked for me. It always felt fake. (It's particularly bad in Lovecraft knock-offs. see; In the Mouth of Madness)

The idea of physical laws and such not applying may have seemed interesting in the 1920's, but this sort of thing needs to have something more tangible to it otherwise it's just a quaint, dated idea. The problem with things beyond human comprehension is that you can't understand it, and therefore easily and safely ignore it. They don't drive you insane or die just to look at them. Instead you start to see shapes in the incomprehensible mass the way you see forms in clouds (see; pareidolia).
Looking at it implies sight, one of our senses. What if a shapless cloud were to bring about other senses in you or flood your mind with the concepts of the begining of time/space/life and whatnot. It'd be hard to keep your sanity and try to put a logical explination other then "that was god" on it.

Delicious said:
I just don't see why he couldn't do both simultaneously. It might not make any sense to us, sure, but neither do a lot of things that we accept to be true, or at least very plausible (ie. something without a beginning or an end). A dog might not understand how his owner could disappear for eight hours of the day when he himself can not disappear, but that does not mean that his owner doesn't leave for work each morning.
I like the thought pattern. It's something I'm also arguing here. It is so above us, things god can do would not be plausable by our standards.

Ignignoct

Feb 14, 2009
PurpleRain said:
Ignignoct said:
Define your hypothetical god in a matter that is useful for debate, vice the jello-defense of "well maybe god's not like that, maybe I'm using a different god."
MY hypothetical god is something I haven't made up yet. I never thought of god in the way of a heaven or angels. I don't believe in that. Though it doesn't mean I can't havea discussion about god.
Clearly, then, this is the source of your difficulties.

Anyway, if a dog sees what I perceive as yellow to be purple, etc, it doesn't matter in the slightest, because what I know as yellow, he knows as purple. Yes. I do talk to dogs, and they agree with me; especially when I rub their bellies.

What if there was a type of god we don't know about who could do [x], [y], and [z]? Then there'd be a god that could do that, and we wouldn't know until it happened close enough to us.

What if we could project pictographic thought telepathically as a new universal language, and broadcast it to galaxies across the universe in hopes of reaching an alien species that would understand us with this new ability?... Then we'd do that, and see what happens.

What if an asteroid suddenly crashed into earth faster than we could react, setting off a chain of events that would lead to the destruction of 90% of human life?... Then it'd happen, and we'd lose 90% of the worlds population. This one's at least feasible based on what we know of the galaxy and its neighbors.

Sand castles, bro.

Sand castles.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
GothmogII said:
Personally, I honestly don't know how to reconcile the idea with the fact that, there are quite clearly evil people in the world (as far as such are understood to be), which means, if morality is divinely inspired, then, it's more of a suggestion then something innate. If it were otherwise then free will is removed entirely from the matter and from what I've read, god doesn't work like that does he?
People most of the time are not evil, they act upon the most reasonable conclusion they can come up with given their [logical or otherwise] resources, even if they may be impaired in one way or another.

Blame

May 30, 2009
PurpleRain said:
Blame said:
Here's a list of the ones I came up with...
A lot of those things are the same sense as some of them. Light and colour are the same thing.
Light and Colour are not the same thing, there are creature who don't see in colour, are you saying they're blind? Who are we to say seeing in colour is the same as seeing in black and white? The only 'senses' I have difficulty outlining are the 'taste' senses.

SakSak said:
I think it's possible that other creatures have (or could have) other senses.
Exactly, Bats can be said to 'see' sound, and snakes can be argued to 'see' heat. These are not comparable to the human equivilent senses, so how do we measure them, or even understand them?

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Blame said:
PurpleRain said:
Blame said:
Here's a list of the ones I came up with...
A lot of those things are the same sense as some of them. Light and colour are the same thing.
Light and Colour are not the same thing, there are creature who don't see in colour, are you saying they're blind? Who are we to say seeing in colour is the same as seeing in black and white? The only 'senses' I have difficulty outlining are the 'taste' senses.
It's the spectrum of light we can see. There is a larger spectrum of light that we cannot see, such as ultraviolet, but as far as I was aware, they're all light.

Blame said:
SakSak said:
I think it's possible that other creatures have (or could have) other senses.
Exactly, Bats can be said to 'see' sound, and snakes can be argued to 'see' heat. These are not comparable to the human equivilent senses, so how do we measure them, or even understand them?
I think they just sense it better or differently. Bats don't see sound. Sound is a vibration not a light.

Yoshi_egg80

Apr 1, 2009
Oh yay a thought provoking thread my my my what a rarity you are these days *bookmarks for later enjoyment*.

Blame

May 30, 2009
Mazty said:
Does there have to be a transcendental plain of existence?
I'd like to think so, but again, trying to prove it is somewhat futile.
What do we gain from believing in such a place? As far as I can tell, it's just a way of telling greedy men (because it's always men) what they do in this life matters on a moral scale. There are obvious examples of people who didn't believe in such a place, and they seemed to do alright. Until they were, y'know, executed.

Blame

May 30, 2009
Mazty said:
But, on a scientific view, if there is a different plain of existence, how does it work? Can we ever reach there? Even though it would be out of this universe's laws to explain, surely it would have laws of it's own etc. Ultimately it's a thought for a 'drinking & thinking' moment, speculating the wider possibilities of reality.
Fingers crossed for evolution in energy being!

On a more serious note, if you buy into the whole 'Multiverse' thing, there are an infinitre number of universes in existance, each with their own set of unique laws. It could be that when we die, we transcend from one for another. Completely unscientific, but though-provoking nonetheless.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Interesting. I came to ponder the same thoughts a couple of years ago. It was definitely a fascinating thought process, one that transformed me into the agnostic nothing-is-impossible, nothing-is-certain person that I am today. Isn't skepticism fun?

IronDuke

Oct 5, 2008
xitel said:
PurpleRain said:
So why are we only limited to five senses? That can't be all of them? There's more. I find it kind of close-minded to think otherwise.
To be fair, there's actually 7 senses. People forget the sense of vertigo, or how up you are, and your sense of balance.
To be even fairer, I think there are over 20 senses. Like for instance, people can sense temperature and it is not because of touch (heat can radiate and you don't physically need to touch a hot thing) and other things like that.