A bit of deep thought for ya

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
sokka14 said:
PurpleRain said:
So why are we only limited to five senses? That can't be all of them? There's more. I find it kind of close-minded to think otherwise.

Logic can only prove things that are in the physical plane of existence. How do we know that we have more senses, or souls? To even think about it, you NEED to leave logic behind. Those that cling to it are too scared and want the shelter of something safe and familiar.

So how is it that people want to disprove god? You can disprove religion but not god. I find religion only helps to serve us. I find it is different to god. Religion, whether helpful or not, is something we made up for an understanding of the universe, faith, spiritual meaning. Seeing as it was written by the hand of man, it is a physical thing making it exist where logic rules. Thus Religion has to fight with logic and seeing as we as a race have excelled terrifically at logic and science, we find it too easy to disprove and prove things.
But you can't deny a presents of something great and amazing that lives on planes without logic.
ok OP, a few answers for ya.

no-one ever wanted to disprove god (and i'm not entirely sure how you've come to this conclusion), they wanted to disprove religion, or a particular image of god created by religion.

the 5 senses idea was introduced by aristotle over 2 thousand years ago. since then science has moved on a little bit. the amount of senses scientists are now claiming is over 15.

"Those that cling to it are too scared and want the shelter of something safe and familiar" - what do you think religion is all about!!??

science is about constantly questioning and trying to understand the world around us. how exactly is it "scared" to choose logic? first of all, choosing an approach which actively discourages logic is not only stupid, but extremely dangerous. choosing a religion is the epitome of scared reasoning. we can't accept the scary but extremely probable truths so we turn to the more desirable and comforting illogical teachings. of course i know this isn't why most people "choose" religion, mainly because there is no "why", as the vast majority of religious believers were indoctrinated anyway.

inputting god into the gaps of scientific understanding isn't even an argument, all you are doing is looking at something which is yet to be explained and screaming "GOD DID IT!" then someone comes along and explains it, which you follow up with "GOD DID IT LIKE THAT!" and the cycle continues.

attempting to explain things outside the physical existence can (and does) only result into meaningless speculation with nothing close to resembling answers. hence a myriad of different religions. just voice your extremely vague ideas about the "spirituality" and the existential world and no-one can claim you're right or wrong. i can claim unicorns exist, only they can't be sensed by any other animal. you can't disprove me, but of course you wouldn't seriously attempt to. now what if i tried to get people to go by the teachings of the unicorns? hey hey! we've got ourselves a religion. or a cult if you prefer, not that there's any difference.

i think unwittingly you are actually talking about philosophy, as religion has no intention of increasing our understanding of the universe. in fact religion has only ever been detrimental to the progress of our understanding, and i can back that up with examples if you really want. this is one of the main reasons why many people (religious and non-religous) want to disprove, or at least, secularize (e.g. modern liberal christians) religion.

yes i can deny the "presents" of a good being, and even though i live in a cushy middle-class family in a comfortable, peaceful and wealthy country i'm not blinded into believing the world is full of love. but even if i did think the world was amazingly beautiful i'd be even more over-awed if it came together without a creator. of course evolution filled in the gap of creation long ago, but i am still over-awed by some evolutions (some for their beauty, some for the way they've adapted to their environments) and many natural beauties.

one thing i can be sure of about god, is that if he/she/it/they exist, then they are going rather out of their way to make me believe they don't.
You sir, deserve a big cookie. With milk.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Look brah, it's obvious we're gonna evolve into pure energy beings eventually, and religion was just an explanation based on what we saw, and current logic is based around our system of physics and mathematics, which, to be honest, is relatively limited and we are quite a fledgling race, especially to be thinking about something like that.

We change theories when new things come along to make us change them.

Of course there are other sensations I don't know about, haven't experienced, will never conceive, etc...

But maybe some part of me has and I don't even know.

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
PurpleRain said:
I think they just sense it better or differently. Bats don't see sound. Sound is a vibration not a light.
Light is also a vibration, simply of a different medium. Or have you forgotten/not learned of particle-wave-duality of light? Light is simultaneuosly an electromagnetic wave and a particle.

By anyways, it is curious how you seem to think that arm-chair-philosopising can arrive at any concrete result regarding the universe. Let's do an experiment shall we:

I have with me a box. There is a item in the box. This is all information about the box you shall receive. What is in the box?

Tell me, do you honestly have any change of even a remote possobility of arriving at the correct answer? Of course not. And even if you did, could you repeat it with another box?

Expirimentation and repeatability are the only tools we have to consistently making true statements regarding the universe. The formalization of this method is logic. If A, therefore B. That is the most simple logical construct in existance.

Logic isn't something mysterious. When you check the calendar and make the connection "Hmm, 2. of june... Weekly meeting at 12. OHSHI I'm going to be late!" you just applied logic. Literally. Any connection, any determination you make regarding the world around is is based on logic. You understanding these words after you read them is an application of logic.

Yet to so boldly misunderstand and claim that there must be something more beyond the visible....?

Hubris. Wisful thinking.

Really, if you don't think the universe is awesome, read upon string theory. According to it, there are between 6 and 9 dimension, not 4. But all but these 4 are only remprary by nature and too small to detect by any current means. And they are all around us.

Are ghosts ans spirits etc. possible? Yes, though if they are found they will no longer be supernatural or spiritualistic. because if you can observe it, then it is reality and science can zero in on it faster than Tomahawk missile. Only thing what science or logic can't tell us anything about, is the undetectable. And if it is undetectable, then it means that you neither can have anything meaningful to say about it outside of speculation and philosophy. After all, if it is undetectable, how can you know anything about it?

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
PurpleRain said:
An animal born without eyes or any idea of sight, how would it understand light? It could not comprehend light or the spectrum or colours.
I watched some show on the Discovery Channel about "Super Humans" and it showed an old, blind painter. Because of the experiments, it was proven that, despite being blind all his life, he can understand perception. Though it was not established how, because the guy just don't want to be a test subject (he hates the MRI and the loud noises it produces).

klakkat

May 24, 2008
Honestly, whatever helps you sleep at night. For me, my air conditioner helps me sleep at night.

Seriously though, I'm agnostic. I don't deny the existence of supernatural beings, but without proof of their existence they provide no useful information about how to act. Essentially I'm saying we have to rely on logic because it is the only thing with a single solid base; that which cannot be achieve by logic cannot be reproduced and thus can never have useful results in the physical world. I speak nothing of the spiritual world because I have no idea what will provide useful results there, or even what the term "useful results" means in that context.

Perception is a difficult thing to understand because it changes from person to person. Supernatural explanations aren't needed, however; creatures perceive differently because their brain is built differently. I've heard plenty of these mental exercises like "describe the color red to a blind person" that ultimately have no meaning. You can't make them understand it because a blind person doesn't have the necessary basis concepts to understand it; just as a rat doesn't have the necessary basis concepts to understand algebra. That's the key thing that forms your perception is the basis concepts that you use to analyze higher-level concepts and events. Your brain forms these concepts while you're growing. That's the big reason kids take so long to grow; physically humans could reach adult size much faster than they do (many animals grow a lot faster than we do) but the mental development takes quite a long time.

At any rate, if no combination of your basis concepts can equate to some concept you are exposed to, then you will not understand it (correctly) until the missing pieces can be added. We call this learning (also if it is a combination of basis concepts that is unfamiliar, but this can be learned easier). however, learning becomes monumentally more difficult the more basis concepts are missing. Some of these basis concepts can only be gained through specific senses, and are tuned by those senses. If a concept can only be perceived through a sense a person doesn't posses, then describing that concept to them is as useless as trying to control your computer by drawing on the screen. Maybe you'll FEEL like you did something, but you won't have affected anything that truly matters. This is an inherent limitation in processing devices, not one unique to sentient or organic creatures.

Abstract concepts require no senses, however. Your brain still needs some basis for those concepts as well, and it will have to acquire that basis through perception, but once that is done it will be exactly the same regardless of how the basis was acquired (ideally; human perception is colored by opinion and social interaction as well). Mathematics is a great example; you can't explain "red" to a blind person, but you can explain math. And, eventually, you can continue that explanation as far as to the true nature of light; it's just as possible for a blind person as one who can see, since eyes can't see the true nature of light. But they will never know what it's like for their brain to process a bunch of signals coming from their eyes which their brain interprets as "red," no more than you can explain the nuances of voice tone to a deaf person or religion to the faithless; that last example being a mental block rather than any physical one, but that can be just as effective in preventing communication of ideas.

Reading some of the previous posts, I feel compelled to say this: Logic cannot prove nor disprove (by definition) that which cannot be observed. Even purely abstract ideas, such as the symbol "-1" are rooted in some idea which was observed, and then generalized and abstracted. If an idea comes from something that is not observed, and does not affect the observed, then how our we to say it does or does not exist? Exactly the same thing occurs whether that idea is true or not, so, by superposition of events, it is both true and false, which leads to our observable. It is only when an idea predicts an observable can we test the validity of that idea, and come to a conclusion whether it is true or not.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Macksheath said:
PurpleRain said:
This is very cynical and a reused line. You're talking about religion. I'm talking about god. I find the two completely different. Religion is one way to have a faith and beilf. God is all powerful. Plus, I don't feel that him making all the problems of Earth go away will help anyone. Evidence of god can be through emotions of spiritual understanding. Can't happiness, love joy, hate, sorrow, anger all be strong enough feelings?
According to the Bible, God loves us all. But doesn't a human who loves another help them? If God loves us all, why does he not help us in our times of need?

Yes, man caused most of his own problems through the more meaner emotions in our genetic makeup, and we should take the price we pay on the chin for our mistakes. But you say God is all powerful. If so, and the teachings of his "prophets" are correct and he loves everyone, surely he was use his godly power to remove these meaner emotions from us, and make us all filled with love and other such emotion? Then humanity could drop their weapons and create a utopia.

Which brings me back to the point I made. Cynical or not, it brings the God theory down to simple points.

-He does not exist, in which case fair enough.
-He does exist, yet cannot help us, in which case also fair enough. Which means he is not all powerful, he is simply a conciousness, watching over us from a plain the human mind cannot understand.
-Or he does exist, but will not help us, in which case such a God should not deserve the love and adoration of millions. Such a God to me seems like nothing more than a cruel creator, who creates flawed being like ourselves and then sits back and watches the show.

All this is just theory and personal opinion mind you; its just in my short life I have never witnesses nor heard of a credible miracle or divine intervention. I no longer believe in a being higher than humanity.
It's quite sad that you feel there is nothing higher then humanity. I mean look at this grand chaos about you, it's amazing no? My point is, this could be god. God could be the universe? Emotions ranging from anger to love are all very powerful things and perhaps it is enjoyed at a much higher level then we know. God may or may not love us or care, but I feel it quite cynical to believe that it doesn't exist.

And continue to re-read many things I have writen. You keep seeming to think god it this:

Or some creation man invented. We have no idea what god would be.

Nifty

Sep 30, 2008
PurpleRain said:
[on defending religion]It's a way of thinking incorporated to help people.
I don't agree. Many religions endorse a dangerous form of nihilism; enciting people into give up putting value into a physical world like the one we inhabit and put it all into a metaphysical world that may or may not exist (i.e the afterlife). It encourages people to be 'good' with ulterior motives (the thought of being rewarded with eternal bliss) that perhaps undermines morality itself.

In a sense, buying into a religion is a form of giving up your free will that that particular relgion's God has imbued in you in the first place.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Nifty said:
PurpleRain said:
[on defending religion]It's a way of thinking incorporated to help people.
I don't agree. Many religions endorse a dangerous form of nihilism; enciting people into give up putting value into a physical world like the one we inhabit and put it all into a metaphysical world that may or may not exist (i.e the afterlife). It encourages people to be 'good' with ulterior motives (the thought of being rewarded with eternal bliss) that perhaps undermines morality itself.

In a sense, buying into a religion is a form of giving up your free will that that particular relgion's God has imbued in you in the first place.
It's just another spiritual way of thinking. It can help people find their worth in things or help them get through difficult times. I'm also saying it's good for some people but not for all. I don't believe in any religion.

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
PurpleRain said:
, this could be god. God could be the universe? Emotions ranging from anger to love are all very powerful things and perhaps it is enjoyed at a much higher level then we know.
Sure, that might be the case, but you've just reduced the definition of god into impractical nothingness. Why say god when you can more accurately say universe, if they really are the same thing?

After all, the term 'universe' doesn't come with such a load of history, preconsieved notions and misunderstandings.

Emotions as some kind of actual force is a nice thought, but an overdone one, disproved one (as far as we are able) and quite frankly, pure romantic nonsense that doesn't belong outside of romance novels and movies.