A challenge (Anime fans only)

1080bitgamer

Telegram Dictator
Apr 11, 2010
Canatrix said:
BreakfastMan said:
I never read the Ouran High Host Club manga, but I do not think it would be nearly as hilarious as the anime. Seriously, go watch it, it is one of the best parodies I have seen in a long time.
Actually, the OHSHC anime follows rather closely to the OHSHC manga, to tell the honest truth. You can definitely see the comparisons in style.

My nomination is something that isn't exactly PG, nor should it be watched by someone that doesn't have an open mind. Seeing as I have not yet properly gauged what's acceptable and what isn't in this thread, I'll keep it to myself for the time being.
Go for it, some of the more mature anime can be useful (Casshern Sins, etc.)

1080bitgamer

Telegram Dictator
Apr 11, 2010
Stikibunn said:
Depends if you count The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya as shoujo/romance. There is romantic elements in it and the manga version was crap..... although the Light Novels are better then the Anime but you specifically said "manga" of which all the haruhi ones failed miserbly
I do, however, the manga version was made several years after the anime, as a bit of a cash in, per se. Yes, the anime is better, but the manga originated from the anime, not the other way around.

FortyPercent

Mar 13, 2011
MasterOfWorlds said:
I've never read a romance manga, so I couldn't say, but I really like the Toradora! anime as far as that went. Haven't made it to the manga though...maybe I'll read that next.

Good luck making/breaking the point.
The original source material of ToraDora! is actually a series of novels, the manga is simply another adaption of those. A pretty damn good series of novels by the way. Although I'd say that about anything published in Dengeki Bunko.

Nagisa94

Oct 12, 2010
I enjoyed the Strawberry Panic anime a lot more than the manga. The plot in the manga seemed way too rushed.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Marik2 said:
Why do the two voices of the main leads sound familiar?

A Quick Wikipedia Check Later...

BOTH of those actors are the voice actors of Henry Wong and Jeri Kato in Digimon Tamers?! I may have to watch that series just for the fact that I absolutely love the characters in Digimon Tamers.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
V8 Ninja said:
Marik2 said:
Why do the two voices of the main leads sound familiar?

A Quick Wikipedia Check Later...

BOTH of those actors are the voice actors of Henry Wong and Jeri Kato in Digimon Tamers?! I may have to watch that series just for the fact that I absolutely love the characters in Digimon Tamers.
ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!?

Now I cant watch Digimon the same ever again XD

1080bitgamer

Telegram Dictator
Apr 11, 2010
ChocoFace said:
Does Beck count?
Gurren Lagann?
Yeah i'm not really into the romance thing so much.
Yes, in the shonen category, but the reason for this experiment is to determine if shoujo and/or romance anime are improved by being in fact animated, or if they can be told superiorly when in manga format, or even novel format. My main problem with shoujo anime (or one of them at least, it would take another whole forum to explain my nitpicks in this genre) is that the animation itself doesn't contribute to the story, normally taking place in just a few locations. Recycling locales is fine in anime, as long different events take place during them. Toradora is a good example of this. Each location is used sparingly, and each scene is vastly different from any previous, with well thought through sequences of actions by the characters to convey, along with emotion, relationships between the characters in a more subtle manner than through speech. I'll get to this more later, but keep them coming, I've checked out each anime you all have suggested. Thanks for all the help.

1080bitgamer

Telegram Dictator
Apr 11, 2010
MasterOfWorlds said:
I've never read a romance manga, so I couldn't say, but I really like the Toradora! anime as far as that went. Haven't made it to the manga though...maybe I'll read that next.

Good luck making/breaking the point.
I've read through as much as I can of that manga, and it's funky characters and well rounded personalities have always had been come back.
However, the anime is somehow boring in comparison, as the lines of dialogue are unable to be more succint, and usually scenes are overtly drawn out to accommodate a twenty minute run time per chapter.
Just as a recommendation, I really do like the manga version, check it out if you can, I'm sure you'll really like it.

1080bitgamer

Telegram Dictator
Apr 11, 2010
TehCookie said:
I found Kyou Kara Maou! anime to be way better than the manga. They're both based originally on a novel, but I still found the anime to be the best.
I tried out the Japanese Dub of that awhile back, I'll go back and try it out again. Thanks for the help.

1080bitgamer

Telegram Dictator
Apr 11, 2010
D Moness said:
Marmalade Boy

The main character Miki gets mentally more mature in the anime then in the manga(probably because they needed a whole extra story arc since the anime ran at the same time as the manga and the ending had to be timed at the same time).

I think she is less insecure about here relationship in the end with the anime.
I was unaware there was a anime version of this, I'll take a look. I read the manga version when I was about fourteen, and enjoyed it. Thanks.

1080bitgamer

Telegram Dictator
Apr 11, 2010
RollingThunder said:
Another one is Victorian Romance Emma, this is set in Victorian England, the manga is already good and the anime add excellent musics in it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emma_(manga)

Video:

I thought Emma was fantastic when I read and watched it, but somehow, the manga version seemed to be able to convey more emotions in term of expression and body language than the anime. I do still recommend both though, thanks for the contribution.

1080bitgamer

Telegram Dictator
Apr 11, 2010
believer258 said:
While I really don't have a good response - I'm only familiar with a handful of animes, not a huge fan - but wouldn't it be different for every single one? I mean, wouldn't the anime sometimes be better, sometimes the manga? Or wouldn't (gasp!) it be possible for both to be equally entertaining?

Really though, I'd think that a person should take them as two different entities, one of which you enjoy more than the other.
Yes, Yes, Yes, and Yes. This is all true, but it's not as to how much enjoyment is derived from them, as much as me attempting to find a few select anime that were improved by being turned into an anime, as I've found very few that can do this. Big thing here is, animate when the animation will improve the narrative.

But, at the same time, different styles of the narrative and personal opinion will shape this matter, so I'm willing to admit that this point can be broken. Still, I would like a few counter arguments against such.

Thanks though, I was getting a little freaky-deaky about this, you helped me calm down.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
RollingThunder said:
Kareshi Kanojyo No Jijyou

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kare_Kano

I'm not saying that the animated version are better, both goes to different route, so when you read/watch both, you will get different experiences.

Edit:Add the op video

Oh damn it!

I got Ninja and he is taunting me.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
It's not just animation that's added, but color and sound (voices and music), which can be meaningful. Its why I prefer anime versions over manga in any category.

Kiziku

Sep 4, 2010
Personally I would have to say Ouran Host club, the anime was good though just for the visual aspects and the putting voices to the characters, but the manga was so by far better for the overall devlopment of the main characters love to bloom and also it was just so darn cute and much funnier then the anime.

The Wonder of the net

chasing ninjas and giant robots
Mar 12, 2011
loosely defineing better Fruits baskets, xxxholic loosely defining romance i mean i guess most anime has a romance aspect to it and i mean im into odd ones like i loved Hare and Guu which to all aspects of it has alot of romance as far defined by a little kid because thats what the story is about for the most part. even if these are not what your looking for i would still recomend them.