A challenge (Anime fans only)

1080bitgamer

Telegram Dictator
Apr 11, 2010
ZiggyE said:
Amethyst Wind said:
I'm not sure it ever got a manga, since it was a visual novel, but I'd heavily say that Clannad gained something by being animated.
I consider the Clannad visual novel to be a masterpiece, whereas the anime was flawed by comparison.

EDIT: OP, if you liked 5 cm/s per second you should check out Shinkai Makoto's other works, Voices of a Distant Star and The Place Promised in Our Early Days. Also, his new film is coming out soon, Hoshi o Ou Kodomo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Place_Promised_in_Our_Early_Days
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voices_of_a_Distant_Star
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_Who_Chase_Lost_Voices_from_Deep_Below

Also I think you might like Tatami Galaxy, though the romance in it is more subtext than anything else, it is still good, just like NHK. (If you haven't seen Welcome to the NHK, watch that too(though the light novel is better, the manga I think is worse))

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatami_galaxy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welcome_to_the_NHK

EDIT 2:

Also, Honey and Clover.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_and_Clover
Voices of A Distant Star... was one of the first anime I remember watching, and after walking away for a few hours, said a few words that encapsulated it.

"Oh, so that's what art is."

Thanks, I'd forgotten its name for awhile.

As for the place promised in our early days, I enjoyed, although not as much as Voices of a Distant Star.

1080bitgamer

Telegram Dictator
Apr 11, 2010
Spritemaster said:
ZiggyE said:
Amethyst Wind said:
I'm not sure it ever got a manga, since it was a visual novel, but I'd heavily say that Clannad gained something by being animated.
I consider the Clannad visual novel to be a masterpiece, whereas the anime was flawed by comparison.

EDIT: OP, if you liked 5 cm/s per second you should check out Shinkai Makoto's other works, Voices of a Distant Star and The Place Promised in Our Early Days. Also, his new film is coming out soon, Hoshi o Ou Kodomo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Place_Promised_in_Our_Early_Days
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voices_of_a_Distant_Star
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_Who_Chase_Lost_Voices_from_Deep_Below

Also I think you might like Tatami Galaxy, though the romance in it is more subtext than anything else, it is still good, just like NHK. (If you haven't seen Welcome to the NHK, watch that too(though the light novel is better, the manga I think is worse))

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatami_galaxy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welcome_to_the_NHK

EDIT 2:

Also, Honey and Clover.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_and_Clover
Voices of A Distant Star... was one of the first anime I remember watching, and after walking away for a few hours, said a few words that encapsulated it.

"Oh, so that's what art is."

Thanks, I'd forgotten its name for awhile.

As for the place promised in our early days, I enjoyed, although not as much as Voices of a Distant Star.
oh, and as a PS I've watched Welcome to the NHK through and through. It was an interesting bit to check out, but as the series went on, less elements that I enjoyed were present. Although, that bit where Misaki tries living alone is absolutely haunting on its own.
Good for anyone who likes Realistic+ Anime.

1080bitgamer

Telegram Dictator
Apr 11, 2010
SckizoBoy said:
OK, this one was so obvious I'm surprised no-one mentioned Nodame Cantabile (shoujo manga).

The manga tells a very good story, but the anime is all about the music, making the experience very different from one medium to the other.
I'll take a shot at it, thanks for the info.

1080bitgamer

Telegram Dictator
Apr 11, 2010
SckizoBoy said:
OK, this one was so obvious I'm surprised no-one mentioned Nodame Cantabile (shoujo manga).

The manga tells a very good story, but the anime is all about the music, making the experience very different from one medium to the other.
Ok, went through a few episodes, and had already read the manga, time for some thoughts. In terms of music improving feel of the anime, yes, gold star on that, nodame cantabile. Animation, however, was a little lacking for me. It doesn't have a story that I can really sink into, but the characters were at least interesting to a degree.

Once again, thanks for the contribution.

1080bitgamer

Telegram Dictator
Apr 11, 2010
mireko said:
I liked how Maria-sama ga Miteru was animated. Granted, it's somewhat different from its light novel origins, but I think the *excessive* flowers and Ali Project soundtrack helped set the tone.

That tone being somewhere between "Onee-sama" and "FIVE THOUSAND HARPSICHORDS".

[sub]I don't read much Shoujo, I'm afraid. There just isn't very much of it, and 'standard' romance is too boring.[/sub]
Maria-sama WAS funny when I watched it. I'm not really into it anymore, I lost interest after about half a dozen episodes, but the tone was highly contextualized, almost with a Kanji Tatsumi dungeon-esque feel. (Persona 4)

As for a LACK of shoujo, I'm going to give another stab at it. There is a lack of really GOOD shoujo.

This is particularly ailing for me, as romance is may favorite genre of anime.

1080bitgamer

Telegram Dictator
Apr 11, 2010
Kiziku said:
Personally I would have to say Ouran Host club, the anime was good though just for the visual aspects and the putting voices to the characters, but the manga was so by far better for the overall devlopment of the main characters love to bloom and also it was just so darn cute and much funnier then the anime.
I... I've tried SO hard, to get into Ouran Host Club. I've genuinely laughed at every scene during the anime, and I've fallen out of my chair during a debate between the twins more than once. It looks, sounds, and is written like an awesome series should be, but I've never watched all the way through.

Maybe now though...

Thanks for the contribution

1080bitgamer

Telegram Dictator
Apr 11, 2010
One Hit Noob said:
Bara_no_Hime said:
One Hit Noob said:
Toradora! isnt shoujo but still romance, and is better than the manga.
Off topic question/point of interest.

Is your avatar a character from Toradora, or a different anime? If different, which anime is she from?
It isn't from Toradora!,it is from Touhou. Touhou is a game, but a lot of people make doujins for it since the creator doesnt allow an anime. This is an avatar from one of those doujins called Bad Apple.
They sound interesting, I'll check them out if I can.

Thanks

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Spritemaster said:
mireko said:
I liked how Maria-sama ga Miteru was animated. Granted, it's somewhat different from its light novel origins, but I think the *excessive* flowers and Ali Project soundtrack helped set the tone.

[sub]I don't read much Shoujo, I'm afraid. There just isn't very much of it, and 'standard' romance is too boring.[/sub]
Maria-sama WAS funny when I watched it. I'm not really into it anymore, I lost interest after about half a dozen episodes, but the tone was highly contextualized, almost with a Kanji Tatsumi dungeon-esque feel. (Persona 4)

As for a LACK of shoujo, I'm going to give another stab at it. There is a lack of really GOOD shoujo.

I'm actually not sure what I meant by there not being much Shoujo. Shoujo that interests me, maybe. Still, there is romance anime outside that demographic. I know Shounen has a disquieting level of awful romantic comedy, and Seinen has a lot of that with an extra layer of wish-fulfillment, but there are some good ones to be found. [small]For some reason, there is practically no Josei anime.[/small]

I'm afraid I can't be of much help here, since I usually only watch the Yuri and Shoujo-ai category of this genre (but if you want recommendations there, do ask).

Marimite was a bit too melodramatic for me at first, but once you get into the mindset it really picks up around Satou Sei's backstory arc. And just about everything to do with Satou Sei.

With all of that said, have you seen The Girl Who Leapt Through Time?

1080bitgamer

Telegram Dictator
Apr 11, 2010
mireko said:
Spritemaster said:
mireko said:

I'm actually not sure what I meant by there not being much Shoujo. Shoujo that interests me, maybe. Still, there is romance anime outside that demographic. I know Shounen has a disquieting level of awful romantic comedy, and Seinen has a lot of that with an extra layer of wish-fulfillment, but there are some good ones to be found. [small]For some reason, there is practically no Josei anime.[/small]

I'm afraid I can't be of much help here, since I usually only watch the Yuri and Shoujo-ai category of this genre (but if you want recommendations there, do ask).

Marimite was a bit too melodramatic for me at first, but once you get into the mindset it really picks up around Satou Sei's backstory arc. And just about everything to do with Satou Sei.

With all of that said, have you seen [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Girl_Who_Leapt_Through_Time]The Girl Who Leapt Through
Time[/link]?
You know some GOOD Yuri/Shoujo-Ai? Sorry if that's a bit harsh, but I've read through a HUGE amount of Yuri, and not for the usual reasons. It's just, I've been trying very hard to search for some manga that approach this theme with some, well, maturity. I really enjoyed Plica, but that's about the only one I've ever gotten into, and that was a parody of it. Send me a few if you would thanks.

Yes, I did watch The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, and was having a blast up until the end. It was well animated, despite being religious in re using artwork though, and I loved that bit where she kept trying to stop the guy from asking her out.

1080bitgamer

Telegram Dictator
Apr 11, 2010
Grey Carter said:
Spritemaster said:
Alright, I need specifics on this one. And I will only be asking this of the shoujo/romance crowd. I've looked through close to 50 anime of this genre, and maybe being a guy is part of the problem on this, but I have to know opinions, and on a large scale.

If you would, please name at least ONE shoujo anime (even live action versions of them will do) that were greatly improved by the fact that they were, in fact, animated. In other words, show me a romance anime that is superior to its manga origins, or would be able to be done as well in manga or written form. Please respond with what you can, and know I'm keeping an open mind on this. I'm not trying to make a hate storm, but I am trying to make or break a point. Thank you.
Kimi Ni Todoke. In my humble opinion.
Holy crud, that sits resolutely on my top 5 list of favorite Shoujo manga, and the anime was a good addition as well as I remember. Thanks a bunch

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Spritemaster said:
You know some GOOD Yuri/Shoujo-Ai? Sorry if that's a bit harsh, but I've read through a HUGE amount of Yuri, and not for the usual reasons. It's just, I've been trying very hard to search for some manga that approach this theme with some, well, maturity. I really enjoyed Plica, but that's about the only one I've ever gotten into, and that was a parody of it. Send me a few if you would thanks.

Yes, I did watch The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, and was having a blast up until the end. It was well animated, despite being religious in re using artwork though, and I loved that bit where she kept trying to stop the guy from asking her out.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'the usual reasons', but I think so, yes.

Aoi Hana is the example that sticks out in my mind, being one of the most sober romance manga I've ever read.

Simoun is also pretty good, but I haven't finished it yet.

Sasameki Koto is.. well, we're on less stable ground than the two above this, but overall I found it to be pretty good. It's silly, but it's silly in the way manga often is (comic relief, cheap gags). The manga gets fairly angsty, so it uses that for some breathing space. It can get a little annoying, but the protagonist is still perfectly relatable, so I come away from it with a good impression whenever I read it.

*sigh*..and yes, I liked Kashimashi.. Yes, it has some unprecedented levels of "lol wat", but in the end, I cared about the couple.

Also, while they're not exactly mature, I have a weakness for anything by Miyabi Fujieda. This includes Iono-sama, Chatting at the Amber Teahouse and The Miko's Words and the Witch's Incantations. There's enough heart in them to make them work, despite there not being any pressing urgency or realism in the stories.

EDIT: Oh, and while it's been mentioned a good number of times in this thread: Utena. The anime is better, though.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Spritemaster said:
Alright, I need specifics on this one. And I will only be asking this of the shoujo/romance crowd. I've looked through close to 50 anime of this genre, and maybe being a guy is part of the problem on this, but I have to know opinions, and on a large scale.

If you would, please name at least ONE shoujo anime (even live action versions of them will do) that were greatly improved by the fact that they were, in fact, animated. In other words, show me a romance anime that is superior to its manga origins, or would be able to be done as well in manga or written form. Please respond with what you can, and know I'm keeping an open mind on this. I'm not trying to make a hate storm, but I am trying to make or break a point. Thank you.
Fushigi Yûgi: The Mysterious Play

To be honest I think this series was far better in an animated form than in Manga form. I also seem to remember how there was a "thank you" of sorts included in the Anime for the quality of the TV series, which was in the form of a note pinned to the back of one of the stock characters (I kid you not). I believe this series also was responsible for the penetration of the Shoujo "genere" into the US audience.

If your specifying romances, as opposed to simply material aimed at girls, then I personally think "Revolutionary Girl Utena" wouldn't be valid for this list. While the movie definatly DID have a romance plotline and a lot of lesbianism, the TV series really didn't, ironically you could say it ironically stands out as an anti-romance of sorts. All the referances to the Rose Bride, and some of the imagery and positioning involved, to be honest there is very little going on here that is romantic as Utena's heart belongs to her prince, and well... we know what happens there. The last episodes also pretty much shatter any illusions about the series really having been a girl on girl love story, of course I won't spoil that, but I will say that a lot of people who talk about this series seem to have absolutly no idea how it all ends and what the final reveals are. The movie continuity however is something else from the series all together though, and is more along the lines of what a lot of people seem to think the TV series was about.

Just my thoughts, but at any rate I'd say "The Mysterious Play" is probably a Shoujo romance anime that outdid the manga, especially when you consider it's success internationally.

1080bitgamer

Telegram Dictator
Apr 11, 2010
One Hit Noob said:
Spritemaster said:
One Hit Noob said:
Bara_no_Hime said:
One Hit Noob said:

Is your avatar a character from Toradora, or a different anime? If different, which anime is she from?
It isn't from Toradora!,it is from Touhou. Touhou is a game, but a lot of people make doujins for it since the creator doesnt allow an anime. This is an avatar from one of those doujins called Bad Apple.

Thanks
Like I said some long time ago, it is a game. Not an anime.
I understand. I meant check out the series of games. I'm planning on checking out Ten Desires when I can.

1080bitgamer

Telegram Dictator
Apr 11, 2010
mireko said:
Spritemaster said:

I'm not sure what you mean by 'the usual reasons', but I think so, yes.

Aoi Hana is the example that sticks out in my mind, being one of the most sober romance manga I've ever read.

Simoun is also pretty good, but I haven't finished it yet.

Sasameki Koto is.. well, we're on less stable ground than the two above this, but overall I found it to be pretty good. It's silly, but it's silly in the way manga often is (comic relief, cheap gags). The manga gets fairly angsty, so it uses that for some breathing space. It can get a little annoying, but the protagonist is still perfectly relatable, so I come away from it with a good impression whenever I read it.

*sigh*..and yes, I liked Kashimashi.. Yes, it has some unprecedented levels of "lol wat", but in the end, I cared about the couple.

Also, while they're not exactly mature, I have a weakness for anything by Miyabi Fujieda. This includes Iono-sama, Chatting at the Amber Teahouse and The Miko's Words and the Witch's Incantations. There's enough heart in them to make them work, despite there not being any pressing urgency or realism in the stories.

EDIT: Oh, and while it's been mentioned a good number of times in this thread: Utena. The anime is better, though.
I enjoyed Chatting/Amber Teahouse, not so much on Iono-sama, and I'll check up on them Miko/Witch's.

As for Kashimashi, I actually thought it was rather cute in an odd, Ranma 1/2 esque way, and when I did step back from the absurdity of it all, I realized I was genuinely concerned about the relationships taking place. It took a stab at an unusual genre i.e. gender bender, and approached it with good intentions and an enjoyable story.

Sasemeki Koto though... well, they had some interesting characters and good writing, which didn't help some of the TEDIUM, on the complete lack of a moving plot. Seriously, it took for freaking ever for the story to even get moving. Yes, this isn't uncommon, and I say all hail pacing as much as anyone, but it just didn't hold my interest after the eighth or so episode.

I'll check out Ai Hano and Simoun in the meantime.

Thanks a bunch, you've been very informative

1080bitgamer

Telegram Dictator
Apr 11, 2010
One Hit Noob said:
Spritemaster said:
One Hit Noob said:
Spritemaster said:
One Hit Noob said:
Bara_no_Hime said:
One Hit Noob said:

Thanks
Like I said some long time ago, it is a game. Not an anime.
I understand. I meant check out the series of games. I'm planning on checking out Ten Desires when I can.
Well, Ten Desires didn't release yet, so play the previous games?
Any recommendations? There are about fifteen games or so, and bullet hell shooters is not a genre I've ever gotten into.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Spritemaster said:
I enjoyed Chatting/Amber Teahouse, not so much on Iono-sama, and I'll check up on them Miko/Witch's.

As for Kashimashi, I actually thought it was rather cute in an odd, Ranma 1/2 esque way, and when I did step back from the absurdity of it all, I realized I was genuinely concerned about the relationships taking place. It took a stab at an unusual genre i.e. gender bender, and approached it with good intentions and an enjoyable story.

Sasemeki Koto though... well, they had some interesting characters and good writing, which didn't help some of the TEDIUM, on the complete lack of a moving plot. Seriously, it took for freaking ever for the story to even get moving. Yes, this isn't uncommon, and I say all hail pacing as much as anyone, but it just didn't hold my interest after the eighth or so episode.

I'll check out Ai Hano and Simoun in the meantime.

Thanks a bunch, you've been very informative
Yeah, Sasameki Koto is a little problematic like that. At some points it seems like the author is just throwing in obstacles so the story will last longer. It's made a little more annoying by the fact that the anime only covers a small portion of the manga's plot. Still, the manga is maybe a little better. I've been suspended for "endorsing piracy" before, so I won't discuss scanlations.

Aoi Hana has a much too short anime adaptation as well. It's good, but it doesn't resolve things. To get the rest of the story, you pretty much have to read the manga.

You could also try Candy Boy, which is an odd little anime (9 episodes, with the DVD specials). It started out as an online series on niconico, but it eventually got a DVD version. Despite the title, there are only four characters in the entire show, and they're all female. It's sweeter than I was expecting it to be. I wasn't expecting it to be sweet because, well, they're sisters. But still, there it was.

Kisses, Sighs and Cherry-Blossom Pink was a nice surprise too. It's a collection of short stories, but I really liked it.

[sub]You may be noticing from my suggestions that I'm not into the older, more depressing Yuri manga, this is mostly because I don't have any specific desire to feel incredibly depressed for the rest of the week.[/sub]