A challenge (Anime fans only)

1080bitgamer

Telegram Dictator
Apr 11, 2010
Alright, I need specifics on this one. And I will only be asking this of the shoujo/romance crowd. I've looked through close to 50 anime of this genre, and maybe being a guy is part of the problem on this, but I have to know opinions, and on a large scale.

If you would, please name at least ONE shoujo anime (even live action versions of them will do) that were greatly improved by the fact that they were, in fact, animated. In other words, show me a romance anime that is superior to its manga origins, or would be able to be done as well in manga or written form. Please respond with what you can, and know I'm keeping an open mind on this. I'm not trying to make a hate storm, but I am trying to make or break a point. Thank you.

Naheal

Sep 6, 2009
Not sure if there was a manga version of it, but I can't imagine anything but an animated Utena.

RollingThunder

Nov 2, 2010
Kareshi Kanojyo No Jijyou

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kare_Kano

I'm not saying that the animated version are better, both goes to different route, so when you read/watch both, you will get different experiences.

Edit:Add the op video

MasterOfWorlds

Oct 1, 2010
I've never read a romance manga, so I couldn't say, but I really like the Toradora! anime as far as that went. Haven't made it to the manga though...maybe I'll read that next.

Good luck making/breaking the point.

Ladette

Feb 4, 2011
<-------- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chobits

Just my opinion, but I thought the anime was better than the manga. Although I did see the anime first which could have colored my opinion.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
I never read the Ouran High Host Club manga, but I do not think it would be nearly as hilarious as the anime. Seriously, go watch it, it is one of the best parodies I have seen in a long time.

RollingThunder

Nov 2, 2010
Another one is Victorian Romance Emma, this is set in Victorian England, the manga is already good and the anime add excellent musics in it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emma_(manga)

Video:

p3t3r

Apr 16, 2009
interesting thread i haven't read any or watched any romance anime so i can't really help though. why are you asking this if you don't mind my asking?

oh flcl is an awesome anime that started as an anime, but it isn't the right genre still recommend and it is only 6 episodes long

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Spritemaster said:
Alright, I need specifics on this one. And I will only be asking this of the shoujo/romance crowd. I've looked through close to 50 anime of this genre, and maybe being a guy is part of the problem on this, but I have to know opinions, and on a large scale.

If you would, please name at least ONE shoujo anime (even live action versions of them will do) that were greatly improved by the fact that they were, in fact, animated. In other words, show me a romance anime that is superior to its manga origins, or would be able to be done as well in manga or written form. Please respond with what you can, and know I'm keeping an open mind on this. I'm not trying to make a hate storm, but I am trying to make or break a point. Thank you.
Kimi Ni Todoke. In my humble opinion.

Canatrix

Feb 10, 2011
BreakfastMan said:
I never read the Ouran High Host Club manga, but I do not think it would be nearly as hilarious as the anime. Seriously, go watch it, it is one of the best parodies I have seen in a long time.
Actually, the OHSHC anime follows rather closely to the OHSHC manga, to tell the honest truth. You can definitely see the comparisons in style.

My nomination is something that isn't exactly PG, nor should it be watched by someone that doesn't have an open mind. Seeing as I have not yet properly gauged what's acceptable and what isn't in this thread, I'll keep it to myself for the time being.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Spritemaster said:

Revolutionary Girl Utena.
I mean, the manga is good, but it didn't involve Ikuhara-sama. That insane genius made the anime ten times better than the manga (although he did add some unnecessary stock footage). Still, if you want a shoujo/romance anime that is better (and very different) than the manga that spawned it, it's Utena.

It's also one of my all-time favorite animes ever. Just saying.

Edit: I see I've been ninjaed on Utena. That's fine - it's great.
Actually, there are 4 versions of the story:
The Manga
The Anime
The Movie
The Movie Manga

Watch the Anime first. Really. All other versions are basically spoilers for the anime. Whatever you do, do NOT watch the movie first. The movie and movie manga are basically the entire series in two hours (or one volume) in super fast forward, all corners trimmed.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
[HEADING=1] PLEASE TEACHER [/HEADING]

Its basically every guys fantasy of marrying their hot teacher, and the romance and jealousy is very well done.

And yes its better than the manga.

PunkyMcGee

A Clever Title
Apr 5, 2010
Eden of the East. now this may or may not count it has heavy romance between the two leads and the anime is hella badass. i have not read the manga (if there is one), but it's written and directed by Kenji Kamiyama! (he made Goast in the Shell)

EDIT: once again it may not be what you meant but it is in the romance genre.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
I found Kyou Kara Maou! anime to be way better than the manga. They're both based originally on a novel, but I still found the anime to be the best.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
One Hit Noob said:
Toradora! isnt shoujo but still romance, and is better than the manga.
Off topic question/point of interest.

Is your avatar a character from Toradora, or a different anime? If different, which anime is she from?

Stikibunn

Apr 27, 2009
Depends if you count The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya as shoujo/romance. There is romantic elements in it and the manga version was crap..... although the Light Novels are better then the Anime but you specifically said "manga" of which all the haruhi ones failed miserbly

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
Marmalade Boy

The main character Miki gets mentally more mature in the anime then in the manga(probably because they needed a whole extra story arc since the anime ran at the same time as the manga and the ending had to be timed at the same time).

I think she is less insecure about here relationship in the end with the anime.