A few thoughts about January 6, 2021

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
So at some point ppl are going to have to confront the long term radicalisation being done to where no amount of reasoning and data is going to help pull them out from the cultivated misinfo ecosystems that are cementing their heavily insulated realities.
Yes. That confrontation to resolve radicalisation is looking more likely to be a civil war.

The rampant electoral fixes, polarisation, and just heaping political conflict upon conflict (like stacking the court to scrap Roe v. Wade) is only going one way... and that is not a way of peace, love and understanding.

A part of me wonders whether we aren't witnessing a slow car-crash that is the unravelling of the USA.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
So at some point ppl are going to have to confront the long term radicalisation being done to where no amount of reasoning and data is going to help pull them out from the cultivated misinfo ecosystems that are cementing their heavily insulated realities.
I blame lead poisoning.

I'm not even joking, not entirely anyway.

Obviously, it's not the whole story. Plenty of younger people (whose exposure to environmental lead in childhood will have been minimal) still fall for this shit, and plenty of old people who do are just out of touch or demented. But given how many health problems we are now discovering are attributable to that period of exposure to environmental lead (basically between the 30s and the 80s) it would not surprise me at all to discover that that whole generation just went the way of the Roman Emperors.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Fucking typical cop behaviour, claiming self defense as a poor excuse for their own criminal violence. And not the only off duty cop there neither
Another coward that can't admit their own sins and crimes. Constantly shifting the blame to others, or their "precious God"!

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

XsjadoBlaydette

Piss-Drinking Nazi Wine-Mums
May 26, 2022
Country
Wales

Former Trump White House adviser Peter Navarro has been indicted on contempt of Congress charges, according to court documents unsealed Friday.

Navarro, 72, was indicted by a federal grand jury on Thursday for contempt after snubbing a subpoena from the House committee investigating Jan. 6 seeking testimony and documents.

Court documents indicate that the government requested that Navarro's indictment be sealed until his "arrest operation is executed." The U.S. Attorney’s Office told NBC News that Navarro “is in custody pending the court appearance” later Friday.

"The events leading to the charges in the Indictment have been the subject of public scrutiny and concern," federal prosecutors wrote in the motion to keep the case sealed until Navarro's arrest. Public disclosure of the indictment, they wrote, "would give the Defendant the opportunity to flee, tamper with witnesses or evidence, or take other steps to interfere with the criminal case."

Navarro was indicted on two counts of contempt of Congress, one for failing to provide papers, and another for failing to provide testimony.

The grand jury indictment says that Navarro is a “private citizen” and that he never appeared before the Select Committee or asked for an extension of time after he was subpoenaed.

“In fact, NAVARRO had not communicated with the Select Committee in any way after receiving the subpoena on February 9, 2022,” the indictment alleges, until Feb. 27, when he claimed in an email that his “hands are tied” because former President Donald Trump invoked executive privilege. The committee told him he could assert executive privilege on a question-by-question basis during his deposition, and noted there were topics they planned to ask him about that would not raise 'any executive privilege concerns at all," but Navarro still failed to appear, the indictment says.

The House voted to refer Navarro to the Justice Department for contempt in April. The committee has said Navarro, a trade adviser during the Trump administration, played a key role "in the ex-president’s effort to overturn the 2020 election.”

Navarro said executive privilege prevented him from talking to the committee, and that he would only do so if Trump gave him the green light to do so. The Jan. 6 committee has noted that Navarro has publicly boasted about his plans to upend the election results and that he published a book last year in which he referred to the plan as the “Green Bay Sweep.” Navarro also said publicly that Trump was “on board with the strategy."

Navarro filed suit against the House committee earlier this week, arguing the subpoenas should be dismissed. In the same filing, he said he'd been subpoenaed to testify before a federal grand jury this week and turn over documents related to the Jan. 6 riot, including “any communications with former President Trump and/or his counsel or representative.” He said the subpoena called for him to respond by Thursday.

Navarro was asked in an interview with MSNBC's Ari Melber Thursday night if he'd complied with that subpoena, and he said he was in "negotiations" with DOJ and was "taking this very seriously." He later said in the same interview he'd "responded to them and I expect responses back from them."

He also told Melber he was concerned about going to prison, given that he's 72 and "the average life span in America for an American male is 76 years old."

“If I were to go to prison for a year, which is what the contempt of charge could do to me, that would be about a fourth of my remaining life,” Navarro said. Later in the interview, he told Melber he considers the executive privilege issues in his case to be extremely important. "This is why I’m fighting. This is why I’m willing to go to jail for this," Navarro said.

Navarro is the second person to be charged with criminal contempt of Congress for refusing to cooperate with the Jan. 6 committee.

Steve Bannon, a former Trump White House adviser, was indicted on a contempt of Congress charge in November after he refused to answer the House Select Committee’s questions. Unlike Navarro, Bannon was allowed to surrender. He's pleaded not guilty.

The Justice Department has yet to act on two other referrals the House has sent involving other former top Trump staffers who've refused to cooperate with the panel's investigation, former White House chief of staff Mark Meadows and deputy chief of staff — and former White House social media director — Dan Scavino. The Meadows referral was sent in December and Scavino's was sent with Navarro's in April.

Contempt of Congress is punishable by up to a year in jail and a $100,000 fine.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

It's unsettling for everyone.

Screw you! Don't even dare compare to what happened between those two. Those events happen for completely different reasons. One is of social injustice and systematic racism. The other is just a bunch of piss ants that are upset that their favorite god king didn't win the election, felt everything is stolen from them.

Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

Screw you! Don't even dare compare to what happened between those two. Those events happen for completely different reasons. One is of social injustice and systematic racism. The other is just a bunch of piss ants that are upset that their favorite god king didn't win the election, felt everything is stolen from them.
Took me a bit to realise that that quote wasn't in response to that link, which seemed odd, to say the least.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Took me a bit to realise that that quote wasn't in response to that link, which seemed odd, to say the least.
I always put my commentary on the next link to let people know that it's the next one I'm referring to and not the previous one. But yeah, my rant was at that dumb coach guy.

XsjadoBlaydette

Piss-Drinking Nazi Wine-Mums
May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
Last edited:

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
I hope everyone who downplayed the riot/insurrection is watching the hearing right now and seeing the video footage. I remember quite a few people claiming that they didn't break into the Capitol building, the police let them in. Uh...yeah, no.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I hope everyone who downplayed the riot/insurrection is watching the hearing right now and seeing the video footage. I remember quite a few people claiming that they didn't break into the Capitol building, the police let them in. Uh...yeah, no.
Unfortunately, they're probably watching Tucker Carlson who refuses to report on it because he thinks it's a load of lies.

Reactions: Thaluikhain

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010

Both sides though bruh, both sides.

Reactions: Thaluikhain

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Donald Trump, in response to the chant "hang Mike Pence":

"Maybe our supporters have the right idea. Mike Pence deserves it".
"He was just being ironic" - if there is something I have learnt from 2016-2021, it's that there is literally nothing Trump can say that his supporters cannot find a way to excuse.

I could accept sparking an invasion of the Capitol building as gross recklessness and incompetence (although that's bad enough) rather than intent. But it's things like calling up a state official and attempting to pressure him into "finding" ~12,000 votes to cheat an election that I think harder to ignore. That is intent to overturn democracy, plain and simple. But his party doesn't seem to think it's a problem - and as far as I am concerned, that makes his party as dangerous as he is.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Unfortunately, they're probably watching Tucker Carlson who refuses to report on it because he thinks it's a load of lies.
Well I listened for like 6 minutes, and heard the line "To my Republican colleagues, there will come a time when Trump is gone, but your dishonor will remain." And that feels like just about as much as you need to know about the proceedings. "Well, we haven't even successfully tied Trump to this outside of general gross negligence, but we're still gonna pretend Republicans are defending the riot by rejecting our claims that they organized it."
"He was just being ironic" - if there is something I have learnt from 2016-2021, it's that there is literally nothing Trump can say that his supporters cannot find a way to excuse.

I could accept sparking an invasion of the Capitol building as gross recklessness and incompetence (although that's bad enough) rather than intent. But it's things like calling up a state official and attempting to pressure him into "finding" ~12,000 votes to cheat an election that I think harder to ignore. That is intent to overturn democracy, plain and simple. But his party doesn't seem to think it's a problem - and as far as I am concerned, that makes his party as dangerous as he is.
I swear, I responded to your first post above before reading this. You're developing a talent for believing exactly what Democrats want you to.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
"Well, we haven't even successfully tied Trump to this outside of general gross negligence, but we're still gonna pretend Republicans are defending the riot by rejecting our claims that they organized it."
Referring to what they were doing as "the right thing", and saying that they had the "right idea" about killing Mike Pence, these don't constitute "defences" to you? What actual world are you living in?

You're developing a talent for believing exactly what Democrats want you to.
Cheney, who provided this particular quote about Trump endorsing a death threat, is a Republican.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Everything is Democrats' fault, according to Republicans. If Democrats would just stop existing, Republicans could fix everything forever.
It really does seem it sometimes.

What happened was a Republican reported that another Republican threatened a third Republican. And this is the Democrats' fault. OK.