A few thoughts about January 6, 2021

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
This is the wrong response. Liz Cheney has already lost her seat and is threatening to leave the party, entirely because she's gone long with this farce.
Its not a farce to hold a rogue demagogue responsible for having the capitol stormed though. That her party ousted her for that says more about the party than about her.

She decided that rather than represent her constituents, she was going to try to position herself as the Republican opposition to Trump and then run for president. It was a stupid plan, and she earned the backlash.
Maybe trying to defend democracy from the rogue demagogue out to overthrow it is in the interest of those constituents. What do they gain from replacing democracy with Donald Trump?

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Jill Stein is not a Democrat. She is a representative of the Green Party.

This is not the first time you've made the claim that Democrats ask for recounts when they lose, something I was surprised to read the first time I saw it but didn't bother asking about, but if you are going to continue to make that claim I figured I could ask what you referred to, independent of the subject at hand. I am not trying to be cute, I'm trying to give you a fair shot to explain yourself.
Let's look at the link SilentPony posted:

1984: Recount for congressional seat, flipped from Republican victory to Democratic victory
2000: Florida was close enough to trigger automatic recount. Bush was still winning. Gore asked for a hand recount of 4 counties. Bush was still winning. Gore asked the courts for a third recount before they finally stopped counting. Then he conceded. Then Democrats objected to the electors on January 6th.
2004: Gubernatorial race in Washington, flipped from Republican victory to Democratic victory after recount

Before I continue through that page, I'm not sure why it fails to count 2004 Ohio as a noteworthy recount. The green party candidate filed for a recount in Ohio, and then accused the state of staging the recount, and then some voters tried to sue to overturn the entire election, and Democrats objected to the electors on January 6th.

2008: Congressional seat in California flips from Republican victory to Democratic victory.
2016: Jill Stein requests multiple recounts in states Trump won. They only mention Wisconsin, because the others got tossed.
2016: The first notable recount on the entire page challenging a Democratic victory, filed by Rocky de la Fuente, who in that year had lost in the Democratic Party and then decided to make his own political party to run in November. (Also, Democrats objected to 10 states worth of electors on January 6th.)
2017: 4 District races in Virginia had a recount, 3 of the 4 initiated by Democrats, 1 by a Republican. All 4 were unsuccessful.
2018: Multiple races in Florida won by Republicans get recounted. A Republican congressional candidate tries to file for a recount until they say he has to pay $5000 to do so.

And I'll stop at 2020 since that's basically what we're talking about already. I'm not disputing that Trump and other Republican candidates have been challenging elections lately.

But prior to the election of Donald Trump, every single notable recount on that page was to benefit Democrats, some of them successfully. In my lifetime (born 90), every single Republican presidential victory has been subject to a recount. In my lifetime, not a single Democratic presidential victory was challenged until 2020. The reason I accuse you of trying to be cute is cause technically, those presidential recounts were all either automatically triggered or filed for by the Green Party candidate. Yeah, sure, technically. But Gore took the recount to court personally, Democrats objected to Ohio's certification after recount, and Clinton supported and participated in the Jill Stein recount efforts. I don't particularly care if they managed to keep their hands clean of filing the paperwork, these were recounts done with Democratic approval that could only possibly have benefitted the Democratic Party.

And then Trump happens, and I cannot stress this enough: Trump acts like a Democrat. All the recount calling and election objections of 2020 exactly parallel what Democrats did in 2016. But as far as the intelligentsia are concerned, 2016 was about trying to stop Trump from destroying democracy, and 2020 was Trump trying to destroy democracy. It's almost like the tactics are unimportant and they only care which party wins...

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Its not a farce to hold a rogue demagogue responsible for having the capitol stormed though. That her party ousted her for that says more about the party than about her.

Maybe trying to defend democracy from the rogue demagogue out to overthrow it is in the interest of those constituents. What do they gain from replacing democracy with Donald Trump?
You are aware this committee has literally no authority to hold Trump accountable for anything, correct?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
They started a caucus to impeach Trump before he took office. They called for faithless electors to deflect to Hillary. Democracy survived just fine.
In each case, "they" constitutes how many, exactly? And these efforts are nowhere even near the level of the Republican efforts to disregard the last election. Not even close.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
You are aware this committee has literally no authority to hold Trump accountable for anything, correct?
So? It still investigates his wrongdoings, digs up new information and it can advise agencies that do have the authority to take steps.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
In each case, "they" constitutes how many, exactly? And these efforts are nowhere even near the level of the Republican efforts to disregard the last election. Not even close.
Is 4.8 million people sufficient scale to concern you?
So? It still investigates his wrongdoings, digs up new information and it can advise agencies that do have the authority to take steps.
It doesn't even really have that power. They can report findings to law enforcement agencies, sure, but that's not advising. Congress has no authority to prosecute crimes, nor any advisory role in those processes. Technically, they aren't even allowed to create a committee to investigate wrongdoings, congressional committees exist to inform policy. The rationalization for the January 6th committee is to better prepare Congress for potential similar acts of violence in the future. Officially, they can't even say the committee has the goal of investigating Trump's wrongdoings.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Didn't see it posted, but Trump responded to the Subpoena with a hilariously insane open letter to congress.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Let's look at the link SilentPony posted:

1984: Recount for congressional seat, flipped from Republican victory to Democratic victory
2000: Florida was close enough to trigger automatic recount. Bush was still winning. Gore asked for a hand recount of 4 counties. Bush was still winning. Gore asked the courts for a third recount before they finally stopped counting. Then he conceded. Then Democrats objected to the electors on January 6th.
2004: Gubernatorial race in Washington, flipped from Republican victory to Democratic victory after recount

Before I continue through that page, I'm not sure why it fails to count 2004 Ohio as a noteworthy recount. The green party candidate filed for a recount in Ohio, and then accused the state of staging the recount, and then some voters tried to sue to overturn the entire election, and Democrats objected to the electors on January 6th.

2008: Congressional seat in California flips from Republican victory to Democratic victory.
2016: Jill Stein requests multiple recounts in states Trump won. They only mention Wisconsin, because the others got tossed.
2016: The first notable recount on the entire page challenging a Democratic victory, filed by Rocky de la Fuente, who in that year had lost in the Democratic Party and then decided to make his own political party to run in November. (Also, Democrats objected to 10 states worth of electors on January 6th.)
2017: 4 District races in Virginia had a recount, 3 of the 4 initiated by Democrats, 1 by a Republican. All 4 were unsuccessful.
2018: Multiple races in Florida won by Republicans get recounted. A Republican congressional candidate tries to file for a recount until they say he has to pay $5000 to do so.

And I'll stop at 2020 since that's basically what we're talking about already. I'm not disputing that Trump and other Republican candidates have been challenging elections lately.

But prior to the election of Donald Trump, every single notable recount on that page was to benefit Democrats, some of them successfully. In my lifetime (born 90), every single Republican presidential victory has been subject to a recount. In my lifetime, not a single Democratic presidential victory was challenged until 2020. The reason I accuse you of trying to be cute is cause technically, those presidential recounts were all either automatically triggered or filed for by the Green Party candidate. Yeah, sure, technically. But Gore took the recount to court personally, Democrats objected to Ohio's certification after recount, and Clinton supported and participated in the Jill Stein recount efforts. I don't particularly care if they managed to keep their hands clean of filing the paperwork, these were recounts done with Democratic approval that could only possibly have benefitted the Democratic Party.

And then Trump happens, and I cannot stress this enough: Trump acts like a Democrat. All the recount calling and election objections of 2020 exactly parallel what Democrats did in 2016. But as far as the intelligentsia are concerned, 2016 was about trying to stop Trump from destroying democracy, and 2020 was Trump trying to destroy democracy. It's almost like the tactics are unimportant and they only care which party wins...
Do you want to fill everyone in on WHY Gore 'took the recounts personally'?

Reactions: BrawlMan

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where

Oh wow! Just goes to show you if you plan and execute an attempted coup of the US government and openly defy all investigations and prosecutions, you'll be sentenced to a 4 month hotel stay and as a multimillionaire you'll be fined couch change.
Oh and the judge just lets you say "No" again and voids the entire thing.

Reactions: Hades

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

Oh wow! Just goes to show you if you plan and execute an attempted coup of the US government and openly defy all investigations and prosecutions, you'll be sentenced to a 4 month hotel stay and as a multimillionaire you'll be fined couch change.
Good thing he didn't try it at a Beer Hall, he might have had to serve 9.

Reactions: SilentPony

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where

And here we see the ultimate futility of the Jan 6th panel. Trump is going to refuse and then what? Call in Boba Fett? Send in the Suicide Squad? Trump has proven we're not a nation of laws, merely traditions and he just doesn't care.

Reactions: Thaluikhain

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010

That's not for his role in the attempted coup, that's for refusing to answer the summon. If he still doesn't agree to it he can be further sentenced for that and there could be other charges based on his role in the day leading up to jan 6th.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom

And here we see the ultimate futility of the Jan 6th panel. Trump is going to refuse and then what? Call in Boba Fett? Send in the Suicide Squad? Trump has proven we're not a nation of laws, merely traditions and he just doesn't care.
This only proves the futility of the panel if we assume the sole purpose of the panel was to reach an officially-enforcable conclusion and then enforce it. I don't think it ever was.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
So the Jan 6th Panel has announced they're looking into a potential secret service coverup and if agents participated in the coup. And I mean wow, just wait until they hear about pentagon officials intervening on behalf of Trump and members of the department of defense refusing to send in the national guard, and various capitol officers who betrayed their comrades to let rioters in, and Republican members of congress real-time tweeting out the location of Democratic officials so the rioters could find them, and the apparently forgotten detail that several Democratic lawmakers, including AOC and Pelosi, having the panic buttons in their office disabled the week before the riot for "maintenance".
Its almost as if this wasn't a spontaneous event, but a very meticulously planned operation involving hundreds of people from all branches of government, and it only barely failed.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
It may be just me, but if these clowns are such an existential threat to democracy, I'd sure like to know how they keep getting funded by...let me check my notes...

...democrats?

The hope is to have the Republicans run such terrible candidates, even their brain-dead voters will turn away. Its exactly what Hilary did in 2016 with Trump.
Its a horrible plan, and never underestimate the Democrats abilities to make things even worse. If Republicans are the metaphorical abusive alcoholic spouse, Democrats pull double duty as the abused defeated housewife convincing herself this is the last time, and the enabler who happily buys beer and whiskey every night.
In any decently run simulation, the Democrats would be the wildly unpopular centrist-right party, but because the Nightmare Protocol is in effect we have the party of openly theocratic fascists pondering the best way to end the nation, all to the blind seal clapping of their followers.