A little advice about one of our players...

Jitters Caffeine

Sep 10, 2011
Revnak said:
Jitters Caffeine said:
pffh said:
What levels are you and what is the parties general make up? But generally DR fucks with someone with many attacks that do a little damage each. Targettig his bad saves should take him out or just use a spell that's "no save just suck" Maze is a great choice for such a spell against a low int foe. Strong winds also fuck with throwers (and are especially bad for flying throwers) and finally if he's using precision damage then undead, oozes, construct, anyone with uncanny dodge or anyone with a miss chance is immune to it.

But remember this if someone that is not a full casting spellcaster thinks that he's a big shot you can always use magic to take him down a notch (full casters rule supreme in 3.5)
We're starting at 6, I'm a Paladin/Kensai, he's a Scout/Master Thrower at the moment, we've also got a Druid/Sorcerer who's going into Arcane Hierophant, a HexBade who's still kinda finding his niche, and a WarMage.

Are you familiar with Skirmish damage? It's like the precision and sneak attack damage except you have to move at least 30ft first. He uses his ability to move vertically as his required 30ft for the damage boost.
First, I think it was ten feet, or two squares. Second, I freaking love the Paladin Kensai build and shall now proceed to give you mad props, whatever that means.
Back to skirmish, the problem I have with this build the guy is using is that without skirmish's natural check of having to move on land it gets too powerful. From what I've read the book is saying, it seems that the scout gets to apply the damage to each hit, which is terrible. I still love the class because it is a well rounded and powerful non-caster, but this guy is totally being a dick. But now that I know you guys are playing at sixth level I can give you what may be some good news. The guy's gonna get screwed over in weapons. He needs a buttload of enchanted daggers to keep up with an average archer build, and that is a very good way the DM can keep him down later, by limiting his access to enchanted daggers. He may still have to throw some counters at the guy every now and then, but limiting his number of enchanted daggers should work in the long run. For now though, he will remain broken as all hell because he probably just got the ability to throw two or three daggers in a turn. The number of dagger he can throw would be some good information, actually.
Unfortunately, he has the Gloves of Infinite Daggers or some related bullshit. Basically an infinite supply of ethereal daggers.

pffh

Oct 10, 2008
Revnak said:
Jitters Caffeine said:
Revnak said:
pffh said:
Jitters Caffeine said:
I honestly don't like races like that. Raptorans, broken ass Catfolk, ect.
You do realize humans are widely considered the best race in 3.5
These bullshit raptorans can fly and have more stat bonuses than negatives without a level adjustment. More skill points and a feat to not come close to how broken a flying race without a level adjustment is. I haven't even seen shit like this class in home brew.
Luckily they don't get any stat boosts, but they DO get tons of skill boosts. Like just a straight up +10 to jump, they cast Wind spells at a higher Caster Level, they get a boosted land speed I believe, they get a bonus to Spot and Listen checks, and Low Light vision. All with no level adjustment. Not to mention they have zero down side
The version I found did have stat boosts. Must have been home brew then. Maybe a 3.5 to 4 update to the class, except it mentioned all the alligents. Either way, I am now very disappointed with my fellow fans.
The have 30ft landspeed, +10 to jump, can glide (basically feather fall), at level 5 they gain 40ft fly speed with average maneuverability and can fly for con modifier rounds at a time, at 10 the con modifier rounds limit is lifted and they can fly at will (still only average maneuverability), they cast spells with the [air] tag at +1 caster level, always know which way is north, low light vision, can use the foot bow as a martial weapon, +2 to spot and climb (why they can fly but eh) and that's it.

I agree they are quite good but I'd say they are about even with humans, dwarves and whisper gnomes.

Jitters Caffeine said:
Unfortunately, he has the Gloves of Infinite Daggers or some related bullshit. Basically an infinite supply of ethereal daggers.
Etheral daggers you say? To bad for him etheral material can't interact with stuff on the material plane.

Jitters Caffeine

Sep 10, 2011
pffh said:
Jitters Caffeine said:
pffh said:
What levels are you and what is the parties general make up? But generally DR fucks with someone with many attacks that do a little damage each. Targettig his bad saves should take him out or just use a spell that's "no save just suck" Maze is a great choice for such a spell against a low int foe. Strong winds also fuck with throwers (and are especially bad for flying throwers) and finally if he's using precision damage then undead, oozes, construct, anyone with uncanny dodge or anyone with a miss chance is immune to it.

But remember this if someone that is not a full casting spellcaster thinks that he's a big shot you can always use magic to take him down a notch (full casters rule supreme in 3.5)
We're starting at 6, I'm a Paladin/Kensai, he's a Scout/Master Thrower at the moment, we've also got a Druid/Sorcerer who's going into Arcane Hierophant, a HexBade who's still kinda finding his niche, and a WarMage.

Are you familiar with Skirmish damage? It's like the precision and sneak attack damage except you have to move at least 30ft first. He uses his ability to move vertically as his required 30ft for the damage boost.
Right first his flying: Raptorans only have average maneuverability which means that he can't fly straight up and must move at least half his maximum fly speed forward each round or lose altitude, he can't fly backwards and he can't reverse on the spot, he can turn a maximum of 90° per round and he can fly up at maximum 60° angle and when he's flying up his fly speed is halfed and finally has a level 6 raptora he can only fly for con modifier rounds (min 1) at a time.

I don't have complete adventurer on me at the moment but I'll look into it tomorrow for more in depth stuff against the scout but I do remember that skirmish only works within 30 feet and is still precision damage so is easily negated.

Jitters Caffeine said:
pffh said:
Jitters Caffeine said:
I honestly don't like races like that. Raptorans, broken ass Catfolk, ect.
You do realize humans are widely considered the best race in 3.5
I like them, but they don't get flying or a broken +2 to Charisma and Dexterity along with darkvision, and a boost to hide and climb all without a Level Adjustment.
Catfolk have a +1 level adjustment
You got me on the Catfolk, I had forgotten the +1.

But I think he's doing some munchkinly shit with the Stormtalon class that somehow increases his ability to fly. I don't have the book sitting in front of me to check at the moment.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
Jitters Caffeine said:
Revnak said:
Jitters Caffeine said:
pffh said:

First, I think it was ten feet, or two squares. Second, I freaking love the Paladin Kensai build and shall now proceed to give you mad props, whatever that means.
Back to skirmish, the problem I have with this build the guy is using is that without skirmish's natural check of having to move on land it gets too powerful. From what I've read the book is saying, it seems that the scout gets to apply the damage to each hit, which is terrible. I still love the class because it is a well rounded and powerful non-caster, but this guy is totally being a dick. But now that I know you guys are playing at sixth level I can give you what may be some good news. The guy's gonna get screwed over in weapons. He needs a buttload of enchanted daggers to keep up with an average archer build, and that is a very good way the DM can keep him down later, by limiting his access to enchanted daggers. He may still have to throw some counters at the guy every now and then, but limiting his number of enchanted daggers should work in the long run. For now though, he will remain broken as all hell because he probably just got the ability to throw two or three daggers in a turn. The number of dagger he can throw would be some good information, actually.
This individual is clearly a grade A munchkin then. There is no hope. He must be ejected from the group. Anyone who thinks a build through that far is no longer an optimizer and is way too far gone. I really hope he just read about this build and some website and really has no clue what he's doing, but that is unlikely. So, how many knives can he throw in a single turn right now?

Jitters Caffeine

Sep 10, 2011
Revnak said:
Jitters Caffeine said:
Revnak said:
Jitters Caffeine said:
pffh said:

This individual is clearly a grade A munchkin then. There is no hope. He must be ejected from the group. Anyone who thinks a build through that far is no longer an optimizer and is way too far gone. I really hope he just read about this build and some website and really has no clue what he's doing, but that is unlikely. So, how many knives can he throw in a single turn right now?
I think he said at level 12 he'll be throwing something like 8 daggers, all at different targets and they have a chance to trip or disarm, and if he's diving from the air, he gets a charge bonus plus two talon attacks from his StormTalon class

pffh

Oct 10, 2008
Jitters Caffeine said:
Revnak said:
Jitters Caffeine said:
Revnak said:
Jitters Caffeine said:
pffh said:

I think he said at level 12 he'll be throwing something like 8 daggers, all at different targets and they have a chance to trip or disarm, and if he's diving from the air, he gets a charge bonus plus two talon attacks from his StormTalon class
No he doesn't the dive is a charge and he can't do a ranged attack at the end of a charge also if you can I'd like to see a full overview of his build.

And to those that say that his build is munchkiny it's not his character is just at another powerlevel then the rest of the party (which is bad). I can create a lot more powerful characters then that using only the players handbook.

Jitters Caffeine

Sep 10, 2011
pffh said:
Jitters Caffeine said:
Revnak said:
Jitters Caffeine said:
Revnak said:
Jitters Caffeine said:
pffh said:

No he doesn't the dive is a charge and he can't do a ranged attack at the end of a charge.
I think it was a Master Thrower trick? I haven't actually seen it all on paper to proof read it

pffh

Oct 10, 2008
Jitters Caffeine said:
pffh said:
Jitters Caffeine said:
Revnak said:
Jitters Caffeine said:
Revnak said:
Jitters Caffeine said:
pffh said:

No he doesn't the dive is a charge and he can't do a ranged attack at the end of a charge.
I think it was a Master Thrower trick? I haven't actually seen it all on paper to proof read it
Right the master thrower does no such thing and he's also wildly misunderstanding some things about the master thrower. The trip thing is that he can make a normal trip attempt against targets farther away then 5ft not that all his attacks get a free trip attack. I suspect that he actually has either no idea what he's doing and is misunderstanding what his class/race can and can't do (master thrower is still a good prestige class for a scout though) or is simply lying.

Jitters Caffeine

Sep 10, 2011
pffh said:
Jitters Caffeine said:
pffh said:
Jitters Caffeine said:
Revnak said:
Jitters Caffeine said:
Revnak said:
Jitters Caffeine said:
pffh said:

Right the master thrower does no such thing and he's also wildly misunderstanding some things about the master thrower. The trip thing is that he can make a normal trip attempt against targets farther away then 5ft not that all his attacks get a free trip attack. I suspect that he actually has either no idea what he's doing and is misunderstanding what his class/race can and can't do (master thrower is still a good prestige class for a scout though).
I think he's trying to powergame so much that he's misreading a lot of things. You better believe I'll be poking holes in everything I see wrong once I see this shit on paper.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Simple. Get the DM to summon an creature with an enchantment that returns damage to the attacker. He tries his shananigans, he will suffer for it. The rest of you can run, seeing him fail. It was his fault that he didn't wait for the mage to examine it, or try to examine it himself.
Either that, or have him send you on a quest to a cave, and your friend gets trapped in an collapse all on his own, and no roll will get him out of it. He has to wait for you to go get him help. Arrange with the other players to just leave him there. Meanwhilst, the DM constantly debuffs him due to him not having any food, water, heat, light, being alone, ect. as all of his supplies were lost in the cave in.

Last but not least, if your DM is too cowardly to do that, speak to the other players and if they feel the same way as you, boycott the game and exclude him from future games. Unless he acts as a team player, and not a power player, in future games, he will not be allowed to join. Sure, it'll piss him off, but he is pissing you off so its an eye for 4 eyes (Taking a guess at how many of you are playing). A low move? Yeah. Talk to him first and see if you can get him to not be such a powerplayer. If he refuses, you are well within reason to simply leave him. Get the DM to kill you by some artefact overloading you with power, causing you to explode. Also try and get that explosion to harm the Power Player. Hopefully he'll be right up with you, and an easy target.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
Aaaaaand that seals it! There truly is no hope. Your 30d6 is no exaggeration, it's actually an understatement. Forbid the race, possibly ban the player. I think I can kind of conceptualize what he's doing now, and it's pure bullshit.
Jitters Caffeine said:
Revnak said:
Jitters Caffeine said:
Revnak said:
Jitters Caffeine said:
pffh said:

Storm talon is how he's getting there. It lets him throw daggers with his feet. Master Thrower I believe gives him multi-shot, the gloves five him infinite daggers, skirmish triples his damage output as long as he can move, and flying makes it so ha can use skirmish anywhere without a ceiling. Unless he is constantly under the effects of mind affecting abilities, he will be killing everything that moves.

Edit: I think I should add that my group never powergames. I also have no clue how that top paragraph got up there. I thought I erased it. Also, I was wrong with what I said master thrower is doing, he's probably using TWF or multi-attack. Master Thrower seems to be mostly just little fun additions.

Jinx_Dragon

Jan 19, 2009
SL33TBL1ND said:
If a player has managed to do this, you've got a shit DM. Seriously, what system are you guys using? This would never be possible with any system I've used, and if it was, I'd fuck up the player who did it.
Take a look at what he said the guys character was, take a look at three separate classes being used and all of them from obscure rulebooks unlikely designed with balance in mind. This guys DM fails so badly based on that simple fact alone: He let this guy munchkin it up from the get go by allowing such sort of character to exist in the first place.

Some rules to always keep in mind when using additional rulebooks:
Restrict your players to standard classes unless they have good story based reasons to be non-standard classes or races.
Never allow your players to choose the rulebooks, period.
Never use more then one or two additional rule books at a time.
Never allow your players to multiclass two non-standard classes.
Never allow your character to have both non-standard races as well as classes.
Never allow them to multiclass three classes, period.
Limit Prestige classes, and never allow them to multiclass if they planning for prestige.

That is just a handful my sleep dredged mind can come up with but the warning signs are always the same: If you have a player wanting to combine obscure class Y and obscure class X they are munchkins looking for an overpowered edge.

Jitters Caffeine

Sep 10, 2011
Revnak said:
Aaaaaand that seals it! There truly is no hope. Your 30d6 is no exaggeration, it's actually an understatement. Forbid the race, possibly ban the player. I think I can kind of conceptualize what he's doing now, and it's pure bullshit.
Jitters Caffeine said:
Revnak said:
Jitters Caffeine said:
Revnak said:
Jitters Caffeine said:
pffh said:

Storm talon is how he's getting there. It lets him throw daggers with his feet. Master Thrower I believe gives him multi-shot, the gloves five him infinite daggers, skirmish triples his damage output as long as he can move, and flying makes it so ha can use skirmish anywhere without a ceiling. Unless he is constantly under the effects of mind affecting abilities, he will be killing everything that moves.

Edit: I think I should add that my group never powergames. I also have no clue how that top paragraph got up there. I thought I erased it.
Honestly I think I'd be okay with his character if he changed one thing, the race. I think a big issue is with the vertical he has as a flying race. If he was, let's say a Halfling, he could keep his classes except Stormtalon and he could play EXACTLY the same way, and it would make WAY more sense since he's wanting to be a wisecracking smart ass. StormTalons are a hard nosed military group, not wisecracking assholes. Know who are generally wisecracking assholes? Halflings. What do Halflings get? Halfling Skip Rocks. Which sounds like a WAY better weapon for a Master Thrower.

Jitters Caffeine

Sep 10, 2011
Jinx_Dragon said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
If a player has managed to do this, you've got a shit DM. Seriously, what system are you guys using? This would never be possible with any system I've used, and if it was, I'd fuck up the player who did it.
Take a look at what he said the guys character was, take a look at three separate classes being used and all of them from obscure rulebooks unlikely designed with balance in mind. This guys DM fails so badly based on that simple fact alone: He let this guy munchkin it up from the get go by allowing such sort of character to exist in the first place.

Some rules to always keep in mind when using additional rulebooks:
Restrict your players to standard classes, unless you trust them not to munchkin.
Never allow your players to choose the rulebooks, period.
Never use more then one or two additional rule books at a time.
Never allow your players to multiclass two non-standard classes.
Never allow your character to have both non-standard races as well as classes.
Never allow them to multiclass three classes, period.

That is just a handful my sleep dredged mind can come up with but the warning signs are always the same: If you have a player wanting to combine obscure class Y and obscure class X they are munchkins looking for an overpowered edge.
Those would all be GREAT rules, I'd be perfectly fine with my Paladin/Kensai combo. But our DM is really pensive about making rules. He has this idea in his head that having rules goes against the spirit of D&D.

A Marcotte

Dec 31, 2011
3.5e, and it can fly? There are spells that remove a character's flight movement, be they dragon or otherwise. And I'm pretty sure it's actually got NO save, or a Fort save.

But really, this isn't about what the characters capabilities are. It's the fact that your DM needs to step up, stiffen his spine, and not award as much loot or gear. Yes. I said it.

Sanction the bastard. Sanction the hell out of him. Why should he be getting XP? Because he has focused his effort entirely on building a one-dimensional combat wombat with the personality of what sounds like the worst traits of a Dane Cook / Ryan Reynolds genetic mashup. There is no innovation or personality beyond 'vapid rectum', and no reason to award as much to the player. And if he keeps dominating at combat, the character learned nothing, and therefore, shouldn't be advancing in levels, because rinse and repeat does not make you a wiser combatant.

Sadly,if it comes down to whether or not the game is worth having the player around, then the only thing you can do is remind him that his presence at the game is a privelege. Let the player know he's being a dingleberry, if your DM can't step up to it. If he flips, he doesn't belong there. This guy almost seems like living trollbait, waiting for someone to give him hell about his character and loving that he can cause Hyooge DPS, all within the rules.

Simply put, he's ruining the spirit of the game, of cooperation, of what it means to be in a Party. You need to get tough.

Jitters Caffeine

Sep 10, 2011
A Marcotte said:
3.5e, and it can fly? There are spells that remove a character's flight movement, be they dragon or otherwise. And I'm pretty sure it's actually got NO save, or a Fort save.

But really, this isn't about what the characters capabilities are. It's the fact that your DM needs to step up, stiffen his spine, and not award as much loot or gear. Yes. I said it.

Sanction the bastard. Sanction the hell out of him. Why should he be getting XP? Because he has focused his effort entirely on building a one-dimensional combat wombat with the personality of what sounds like the worst traits of a Dane Cook / Ryan Reynolds genetic mashup. There is no innovation or personality beyond 'vapid rectum', and no reason to award as much to the player. And if he keeps dominating at combat, the character learned nothing, and therefore, shouldn't be advancing in levels, because rinse and repeat does not make you a wiser combatant.

Sadly,if it comes down to whether or not the game is worth having the player around, then the only thing you can do is remind him that his presence at the game is a privelege. Let the player know he's being a dingleberry, if your DM can't step up to it. If he flips, he doesn't belong there. This guy almost seems like living trollbait, waiting for someone to give him hell about his character and loving that he can cause Hyooge DPS, all within the rules.

Simply put, he's ruining the spirit of the game, of cooperation, of what it means to be in a Party. You need to get tough.
And something else that bugs me quite a bit is how much he shits on my character simply because I'm Lawful Good. Says I'm the "worst kind of character"

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
Jitters Caffeine said:
Revnak said:
Jitters Caffeine said:
Revnak said:
Jitters Caffeine said:
Revnak said:
Jitters Caffeine said:
pffh said:

Edit: I think I should add that my group never powergames. I also have no clue how that top paragraph got up there. I thought I erased it.
Honestly I think I'd be okay with his character if he changed one thing, the race. I think a big issue is with the vertical he has as a flying race. If he was, let's say a Halfling, he could keep his classes except Stormtalon and he could play EXACTLY the same way, and it would make WAY more sense since he's wanting to be a wisecracking smart ass. StormTalons are a hard nosed military group, not wisecracking assholes. Know who are generally wisecracking assholes? Halflings. What do Halflings get? Halfling Skip Rocks. Which sounds like a WAY better weapon for a Master Thrower.
You're probably right, and after having read up on the classes it looks like he is a bit of a failure as a munchkin. Not only are there aparently better builds, but his build doesn't even work. The gauntlets actually only give him one dagger a turn and five may be +3 while the rest are normal. He needs seven levels of scout before he can become a master thrower (+5 bab before taking up the class), and the charge thing the guy above said. The guy probably has no clue what he's doing and just feels like he needs to be the center of attention. Not letting him be the race should honestly be enough.

Jitters Caffeine

Sep 10, 2011
Revnak said:
Jitters Caffeine said:
Revnak said:
Jitters Caffeine said:
Revnak said:
Jitters Caffeine said:
Revnak said:
Jitters Caffeine said:
pffh said:

You're probably right, and after having read up on the classes it looks like he is a bit of a failure as a munchkin. Not only are there aparently better builds, but his build doesn't even work. The gauntlets actually only give him one dagger a turn and five may be +3 while the rest are normal. He needs seven levels of scout before he can become a master thrower (+5 bab before taking up the class), and the charge thing the guy above said. The guy probably has no clue what he's doing and just feels like he needs to be the center of attention. Not letting him be the race should honestly be enough.
He's taking 8 levels in Scout before going into Master Thrower. But now I have a question, would the Scout's "Flawless Stride" class ability work while flying? He's saying he's immune to things like heavy wind effects and having to avoid trees in dense forest because the ability says he moves across terrain without impedement.

Whoatemysupper

Aug 20, 2010
Easy, fight somewhere with a very low ceiling so that every time he hurls the daggers into the air, they bounce of the ceiling and he deals damage to himself!