A mod ruined Skyrim for me.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
So I installed the Interesting NPCs mod which is pretty awesome. Too awesome as I found out. When interacting with the characters the mod added they put dialogue choices for you with actual personality. You can be a smarmy asshole, no-nonsense, violent, etc. So I go back to normal quests and I started losing interest. The Bethesda three choice system (inquire further, agree to the quest, smart off, but get yelled at by the NPC and put back on the railroad ) was not doing it for me anymore. I hadn't even realized it was there until the mod pointed it out by doing it better. Interesting NPCs made me feel free and now I felt like I was back in a cage I had never known existed. I'll try playing some more, but it isn't promising.

Discussion: Has anyone ever pointed something out, or a sequel/mod done something that just ruined a game for you?

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I simply can't bring myself to play vanilla Morrowind anymore. It may be one of my favorite games of all time, but even I'll admit that certain aspects of it have not aged well at all. It doesn't help that, like all open world games by Bethesda, it's infested with all sorts of bugs and glitches. Luckily the modding community has produced scads of excellent content to address these issues.

At the very least, I always have to install Morrowind Rebirth [http://www.moddb.com/mods/morrowind-rebirth], Adjustable Magicka Regen [http://www.freewebs.com/glassboy/adjustments.htm], and Delayed Dark Brotherhood Attack [http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=mods.detail&id=2487]. I'll often throw in the latest build of Tamriel Rebuilt [http://www.moddb.com/mods/tamriel-rebuilt1] as well for lots of additional exploration.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Oh, crap, why do I get the feeling we're about to get into a lengthy discussion about a certain game's ending...

Anyways, not really. I can generally look past anything a sequel or mod does and see the older titles for what they were. For instance, Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands had a few problems in its attempt to explain stuff from Warrior Within that was already explained if you understood The Sands of Time, but it didn't stop me from enjoying The Sands of Time or Warrior Within, even if it did contradict the two in some of the implications it made. I can't think of anything quite like the Skyrim mod that has happened to me outside of usual improvements made to any good sequel, but I can't imagine it would be much different.

Joseph Harrison

Apr 5, 2010
I cannot play Vanilla Skyrim anymore and I have not been able to play Fallout 3 since playing Fallout New Vegas. I just like Fallout New Vegas so much that going back to play Fallout 3 just bugs me because I miss playing FNV, unoimsayin?

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Joseph Harrison said:
I cannot play Vanilla Skyrim anymore and I have not been able to play Fallout 3 since playing Fallout New Vegas. I just like Fallout New Vegas so much that going back to play Fallout 3 just bugs me because I miss playing FNV, unoimsayin?
Definitely. The Three-Dog conversation perfectly encapsulates the problem with Bethesda games. New Vegas just kicked 3's ass.

FrozenLaughs

Sep 9, 2013
After the user created mods for F3 and FNV I can't play either of them Vanilla on my consoles anymore. Just things like the better gear mods, scopes, and night vision add so much more to the ganes. I actually turned my gamma and brightness down to make the darkness DARK (I know, who does that?) and although they don't always work perfect, just night vision adds that last little splash of flavor those otherwise boring caves need.

croc3629

Mar 20, 2011
Some people just need to teach Bethesda how to add some soul to the body they've put together, rather than leave it to mods to complete the package.

Any of the game enhancement mods for Skyrim, such as SkyRe or Requiem, brought out more of the potential the perk system had in that game, and how much more awesome it would be if stats were implemented again. I can never play the game without any mod like that again. There were also user made quests, some long, some short, that made for more interesting experiences than many quests in vanilla Skyrim.

I love these types of games, but it seems Bethesda doesn't know how to take the construction far enough to reach the closest thing to perfection they can get. It is just slightly irritating.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I wouldn't say it "bothers" me, really, but a friend of mine once pointed out that the Asari have no eyebrow's. Liara's are basically just her facial tattoos. I had never noticed this before, but after my friend pointed this out to me, I started noticing it all the frickin' time. Like, it's the first thing I notice about the Asari now.

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
I don't get all the praise for mods. I really don't. 9 times out of 10 they've been left half-finished for 2+ years. Most of the time they never get fully finished. They are unprofessional, and can hardly be called QA tested. They increase CTD occurrences. Even the big 'fan made' 'unofficial' big patches actually break things even if they fix others. Also, when looking around at mods, there aren't really any significant ones, only naked-women mods and eye candy ones (more plants! but your computer might melt...).

I can list off some things that would be awesome, but don't exist as mods.

Skyrim:

New skills.
More things to do in the world (collectibles, gatherables, treasures, etc.)
New races.
Random encounter bosses, and/or some static bosses that are incredibly difficult.
New gameplay mechanics.
A paper map, like in Oblivion.

What do you see though, when you look at major modding websites? UI improvement mod, naked big boob mods, Sex animation mods, and armor mods that never get finished and are glitchy.

STOP PRAISING MODS, WHEN THEY'VE DONE NOTHING WORTHWHILE FOR A DECADE OR MORE!

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
Well, the only thing I can think of is Payday 2. Payday 2 is so much unlike it's predecessor and was released half finished yet my nostalgia/love of the first game blinded me from that until about 2-3 months after it's release. The game itself tries to be too many things at once, and the developers are worse than ANY AAA dev (well, maybe not as bad as Capcom) trying to dress frequent patches up as being a good thing, delivering half of what was promised, and REALLY fucking of those whom bought the special edition (apparently giving 1 small, aesthetic exclusive item jacks the price up by 20 dollars).

Fuck Overkill, I just...I just wanted Payday: The Heist 2, not Pay- *content missing. please wait for an unspecified time till patched*. Only game I have ever regretted paying for.

Estelindis

Jan 25, 2008
As I was just saying in another thread, I love Civ IV mod Fall from Heaven II so much that I have no interest in playing vanilla Civ IV anymore. I haven't even played Civ V beyond the demo. FfH2 has more replayability than anything else I've played.

karma9308

Jan 26, 2013
michael87cn said:
I don't get all the praise for mods. I really don't. 9 times out of 10 they've been left half-finished for 2+ years. Most of the time they never get fully finished. They are unprofessional, and can hardly be called QA tested. They increase CTD occurrences. Even the big 'fan made' 'unofficial' big patches actually break things even if they fix others. Also, when looking around at mods, there aren't really any significant ones, only naked-women mods and eye candy ones (more plants! but your computer might melt...).

Skyrim:

New skills.
New races.
Random encounter bosses, and/or some static bosses that are incredibly difficult.
New gameplay mechanics.

What do you see though, when you look at major modding websites? UI improvement mod, naked big boob mods, Sex animation mods, and armor mods that never get finished and are glitchy.

New skills? Try Skyrim Redone: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/9286/?
Redoes the perk system completely while adding and replacing some of the perk trees themselves.

More collectibles? The nexus has a whole category just on that: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/searchresults/?src_cat=92

New races? There's also a whole category on that:http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/searchresults/?src_cat=34
but if you want something specific, they have fully playable dremoras:http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/8358/?

For static bosses that are tougher, I'd recommend Skyrim Redone again. It gives the game more difficulty so even regular enemy encounters are tougher. But something specific (if you don't mind fighting dragons):http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/3829/? That is Deadly Dragons, makes every dragon encounter an epic one that may take all your resources just to survive.

For any gameplay enhancement, I'd check out http://www.skyrimgems.com/ it contains an incredible amount of mods sorted into many categories for even the discerning person who may only want lore friendly mods.

You want the paper map back? Try this mod as well: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/25501/?

I hope I was able to recommend some good mods for you. Let me know if there's others you'd like to know about :)

Senare

Aug 6, 2010
michael87cn said:

Skyrim:

New skills.
New races.
New gameplay mechanics.

I agree that the majority of mods are certainly lacking. But some of the things you requested do exist as mods, such as a Gameplay Enhancement Mods for Skyrim is a good place to start looking for mods with above-average quality.

Sadly the really fun stuff (such as introducing interesting new gameplay mechanics) require a level of modding knowledge that most modders lack. Hooking into the game using .dll files by writing SKSE plugins in C++ is pretty hard stuff, at least for me. Just getting a .nif (the 3D-model files for Skyrim) to behave is a challenge in and of itself.

May 29, 2011
RJ 17 said:
I wouldn't say it "bothers" me, really, but a friend of mine once pointed out that the Asari have no eyebrow's. Liara's are basically just her facial tattoos. I had never noticed this before, but after my friend pointed this out to me, I started noticing it all the frickin' time. Like, it's the first thing I notice about the Asari now.
They also don't have any hair, anywhere else on their bodies. Why would they have eyebrows?

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
The first Payday, looking at my friend and discovering that the camera isn't in the characters head, rather it's in their neck/chest area.

I just don't understand why.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I'll say that aside from some mods creating issues with certain parts of the story quests (and I really wish there were fixes that worked) mods actually made me want to play Skyrim more. And keep coming back every time I see a new one.
I'm in love with the modding community as a whole, because in a world where folk complain about DLC having a price, mods are an excellent alternative.

jehk

Mar 5, 2012
michael87cn said:

Skyrim:

New skills.
New races.
New gameplay mechanics.

100% disagree. I'm currently playing a modded Skyrim that has all of those things added into it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ff9zaXB12Q

Check out his list of mods. I use most of them myself.

I have the Civil War Overhaul installed as well. It totally takes care of "Random encounter bosses, and/or some static bosses that are incredibly difficult."

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Simple native trainer for GTA IV, Y u no available for xbox 360?

Seriously, I want to fly boats, it's not fair!

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Use_Imagination_here said:
RJ 17 said:
They also don't have any hair, anywhere else on their bodies. Why would they have eyebrows?
They do have eyelashes though, so they are not completely hairless.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
michael87cn said:

You have to admit, the UI improvement mods are sorely needed. The default Skyrim UI - especially the inventory - is pretty bad, designed to be used with a controller.