A Petty Thing That gets on your Nerves

interspark

Dec 20, 2009
a thread for generally calm people- i find that, even with the least irritable people in the world, there will always be at least one, seemingly random thing that really grinds their gears. I'm generally chilled, but for some reason i always go up in arms whenever people mix up the word "hyroglyphs" with "hyroglyphics" which isn't a word, so what random thing winds you up?

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
People who don't understand how to use an em dash.

People who don't capitalize proper nouns (or do capitalize words that are not proper nouns in the middle of the sentence).

People who use an apostrophe with plural words.

I think you can see where this is going. Lots of minor grammar errors bug me. ;)

Vern5

Mar 3, 2011
RickyRich said:
When people chew gum loudly. That will truly drive me insane.
I can take this one further. People who chew with their mouths wide open. It's just unsightly and I can't begin to imagine what environment this person grew up in that no one had pointed just how repulsive it looks.

RickyRich

Nov 8, 2011
Vern5 said:
RickyRich said:
When people chew gum loudly. That will truly drive me insane.
I can take this one further. People who chew with their mouths wide open. It's just unsightly and I can't begin to imagine what environment this person grew up in that no one had pointed just how repulsive it looks.
Also those who talk with a mouthful of food. They spew food across the table and it's just disgusting and unsanitary.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
When people think that praying should be done in Shakespearian English. You know, "My Lord, thou knowest what is best" and so on.
NEWSFLASH!
Neither Jesus nor any other Biblical person spoke in Shakespearian English! And I'm pretty sure they didn't speak in a manner that was as archaic to them as Shakespearian English is to us!

Also, "thou" wasn't the Shakespearian equivalent of "you." "Thou" was the singular form, and "you" was the plural, which was also used when one wanted to be respectful! Just saying!

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
I get incredibly annoyed when I get stuck behind people who walk slowly. I had to go into town on saturday and there were a few moments where I actually had to stand still because nobody was moving fast enough for me to walk anywhere. If they'd have looked behind themselves they would've seen me furiously mouthing curses at them.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
People that get "ie" and "eg" mixed up.

ie means "that is", from the Latin "id est", IIRC.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
People who burp with their mouth open near me (I fine if you do it alone). For christ sake cover your mouth when burping!

Dec 14, 2009
teqrevisited said:
I get incredibly annoyed when I get stuck behind people who walk slowly. I had to go into town on saturday and there were a few moments where I actually had to stand still because nobody was moving fast enough for me to walk anywhere. If they'd have looked behind themselves they would've seen me furiously mouthing curses at them.
Oh man, this, people also seem incapable of pushing a buggy/pram/push chair in a straight line.

So I get stuck behind people walking too slowly, but can't get by them because they're swerving all over the bloody shop.

Gets on my tits.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
teqrevisited said:
This, and I'd like to add to this pedestrians who...

1. Stop abruptly, so anyone following close behind them has to pull up fast to avoid crashing into their back.
2. Walk backwards, for whatever reason, thus causing collisions. LOOK WHERE YOU'RE GOING.
3. Assume "the wall" position when walking with friends. The more people walking side by side, it seems, the slower they walk, creating an impassable barrier.
4. Walk with their head down due to texting/phone fiddling.
5. Walk out into an intersection when the orange hand is flashing because "they can still make it", thus preventing a lineup of cars from turning and freezing traffic. Hey idiots, those signals actually mean something. The orange hand is not beckoning you out into the street.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
1. People who drag their feet when they walk, people who wear flip-flops, crocs or strap-less open-toed shoes.
2. People who talk overly loud, I should not be able to clearly hear your conversation from over twenty feet away.
3. People who let their kids run around wild in grocery stores or dance around in the aisles.
4. People who put milk back into the cooler facing the wrong way.
5. People who do not push the reset button on the microwave if they take their food out before the timer runs out.

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
People who cant clean up after themselves. Goddamn we are all 20 something years old now, and i STILL have to come and tell you to clean the mess you left on the cooker? -.-

Oh and people who dont "get" taking turns with the housework. Nobody should get out of it simply because they dont like it. NOBODY likes it, but it has to be done :)

Oh dear, i sound like my mother. I guess you DO care a lot more when its your stuff on the line :p

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
People who smack when they chew. Can't they hear this??

People who talk with their mouths full, I mean absolutely stuffed full. What are they, three years old??

Being cut off in traffic. Just die. Die, die, die, DIEEEEEEE!!!

Being interrupted. This is the biggest reason I am quiet in real life. Nobody converses any more, we just talk right over the other person. It's especially annoying when I am asked a question and my answer is interrupted three words in by the person who asked the question. If you want to know, that's cool. If you don't, that's cool too. But since you clearly don't want to know, Don't. Fucking. Ask.

People who can't do basic arithmetic. A guy at my work thinks I'm a genius because I know $2.00 minus $1.67 is thirty three cents. This from a forty year old man. Likewise with people who can't find quarter inch marks on a ruler, or don't know that a 20oz soda is smaller than a two liter. I'm glad I don't work for the IRS.

Basic spelling and grammar errors. I don't expect everyone to know words like anesthesiologist or obfuscation but using it's instead of its is just plain wrong. I have distinct memories of a decade of English classes growing up, and of not being the only one in those classes. Where did all the people who learned English go??

Pedestrians who step off the curb without looking. Statistically I think all these people should have died a long time ago. How is anyone lucky enough to do that repeatedly and live??

Rainmaker77

Jan 10, 2012
I am a very calm person, but the one thing that really grinds my gears is: Slow People.

In cars or walking, I don't mind if you?re slow as long as you?re not in my way holding me up. If you have to walk and text, stand at the side of the pavement or at the side of the stairs; don't walk slowly down the middle of the street leaving no room for me to get past you.

Similarly don't drive 30 on a 60 road. I live down quite a twisty turny old country road, so fair enough if you don't feel safe doing 60, however 30 is downright dangerous to people coming up behind you from around a bend and also forces me to overtake, a dangerous procedure in of itself.

requisitename

Dec 29, 2011
People being constantly late, especially if they lie about when they'll be there. As in, they tell me that they're headed to the rendezvous point right now, then when I call them two hours later because they haven't shown up, they STILL aren't actually on their way yet.

That makes me crazy.

TheFunPolice

Mar 29, 2011
Whenever a "certain" friend of mine speaks... Honestly, ANYTHING she says will make me cringe or go mad with anger. This isn't just when he says something stupid, It's even when she just says Hi or is saying my name, it just drives me up the wall, and I don't know why

Tanner The Monotone

I'm Tired. What else is new?
Aug 25, 2010
interspark said:
a thread for generally calm people- i find that, even with the least irritable people in the world, there will always be at least one, seemingly random thing that really grinds their gears. I'm generally chilled, but for some reason i always go up in arms whenever people mix up the word "hyroglyphs" with "hyroglyphics" which isn't a word, so what random thing winds you up?
Cleaning my glasses drives me insane. Also, when people honk at me when I'm out of the car to get my attention.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
thaluikhain said:
People that get "ie" and "eg" mixed up.

ie means "that is", from the Latin "id est", IIRC.
Yah, that's right... and 'e.g.' is exempli gratia. And continuing on the grammar Nazi/Latin purism, the misspelling of 'per se'. That and the fact that I've witnessed the misuse of 'de facto' and 'de jure' too many times...

Daystar Clarion said:
Oh man, this, people also seem incapable of pushing a buggy/pram/push chair in a straight line.

So I get stuck behind people walking too slowly, but can't get by them because they're swerving all over the bloody shop.

Gets on my tits.
Oh ho... and then there're those gossipping fuckers who stand in the middle of the damned pavement chatting about random, irrelevant and meaningless drivel, oblivious to the pedestrian traffic, much of which has to go onto the road to get around them. And when you say 'excuse me' however softly or contritely, they glare at you as though you've said something incredibly insulting.

OT: This happens a lot at work. I'm working away doing what I need to do. A colleague comes up, asks an inane question. I answer, he/she goes away. Then comes back with another inane problem that I have to spend time to sort out. What happens? He/she stands there for the fifteen-twenty minutes while I deal with the problem, and it's usually behind me just off to one side so they're just out of my field of view. And in combination to one of the above, it's usually while noisily chewing gum with an open mouth.

Many are the times I've wanted to scream, 'Go back to y'damn desk, I'll come over when it's done!'

Magnicon

Nov 25, 2011
Random Person: Did you hear about this guy named John we don't know who cheated on his girlfriend?
Person I Hate: Oh really? I hate people who cheat, what a disgusting pig, I want nothing to do with him.

Random Person: Did you hear about our good friend John? He cheated on his girlfriend.
Person I Hate: Oh well, people make mistakes.

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh.