A Petty Thing That gets on your Nerves

coolman9899

May 20, 2010
Marter said:
People who don't understand how to use an em dash.

People who don't capitalize proper nouns (or do capitalize words that are not proper nouns in the middle of the sentence).

People who use an apostrophe with plural words.

I think you can see where this is going. Lots of minor grammar errors bug me. ;)
What da Hell is a em dash is it some kind of formatting charecter's

Byere

Jan 8, 2009
Quite simple... When people don't tie the frigging bread bag up when they're done getting bread from it!

I cannot explain in words how much of a pet peeve this is to me. What pisses me off even more is when, after not tying it back up, they start bitching about how quickly the bread goes mouldy... WELL NO SHIT SHERLOCK!

*grumbles and mutters angrilly to himself*

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Marter said:

People who don't capitalize proper nouns (or do capitalize words that are not proper nouns in the middle of the sentence).

People who use an apostrophe with plural words.

I think you can see where this is going. Lots of minor grammar errors bug me. ;)
Yeah, I understand what your saying. i Hate grammar Errors to.

Joking aside I think that grammar errors bug me because it takes so little effort to write proper English and it's always a good idea to practice proper spelling so it's there when you actually need it. English isn't my native language, nor have I ever resided in a country where it is, yet I don't have problems with it. How come so many who have seem to have difficulties with it? Poor grammar made me hate a lot of people when I used to play games online.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
coolman9899 said:
Marter said:
Yes. There are three types of dashes: hyphens, en-dashes and em-dashes. Here, have a wiki article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dash
Queen Michael said:
Also, "thou" wasn't the Shakespearian equivalent of "you." "Thou" was the singular form, and "you" was the plural, which was also used when one wanted to be respectful! Just saying!
Wait, what? Thou is to you as tu is to vous in French. It's the impolite form of `you'. At least in the context normally given in the Bible.

TheColdHeart

Sep 15, 2008
People who are walking then decide to stop abruptly in the most inconvenient place possible such as the bottom/top of an escalator, a shop door or the middle of a pavement and are totally oblivious to what they are doing.

People who use mobile phones/gadgets at a meal table. I find it bad manners if you're trying to have discussions or a social meal with people at a table and someone is clearly preoccupied with twitter or facebook.

coolman9899

May 20, 2010
Lukeje said:
coolman9899 said:
Marter said:
Yes. There are three types of dashes: hyphens, en-dashes and em-dashes. Here, have a wiki article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dash
Queen Michael said:
Also, "thou" wasn't the Shakespearian equivalent of "you." "Thou" was the singular form, and "you" was the plural, which was also used when one wanted to be respectful! Just saying!
Wait, what? Thou is to you as tu is to vous in French. It's the impolite form of `you'. At least in the context normally given in the Bible.
Learn something new everyday xD not sure how useful it is but hey... Still interesting, thanks :D

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
I would say people using 'of' in stead of 'have', but that's not petty at all.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
teqrevisited said:
I get incredibly annoyed when I get stuck behind people who walk slowly. I had to go into town on saturday and there were a few moments where I actually had to stand still because nobody was moving fast enough for me to walk anywhere. If they'd have looked behind themselves they would've seen me furiously mouthing curses at them.
Oh man, this, people also seem incapable of pushing a buggy/pram/push chair in a straight line.

So I get stuck behind people walking too slowly, but can't get by them because they're swerving all over the bloody shop.

Gets on my tits.
No offense, but when males say "gets on my tits".

I'm sorry, I didn't know you possessed functioning mammary glands! :D

In all seriousness, what I call Witch Covens. Pairs/groups of women talking and alternately cackling in that really high pitched way that makes your ears bleed.

There's one girl I know that represents an entire coven by herself. And laughs at EVERYTHING!

banthro

Aug 11, 2009
People who:
1. Constantly look over your shoulder whilst you are doing something. -
a) Personal space.
b) Privacy.
2. Talk with their mouths full.
3. Eat loudly and rudely.
4. Do not knock on room doors or bathroom doors before trying to open them.

My housemate does every single one of these. I will be on my laptop, and in he will come eating a sandwich. He will then ask me what I am doing, whilst peering over my shoulder, eating really loudly and getting bits of food on my clothes. I swear, if I had no self control, that guy would be tasting elbow.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
Magnicon said:
Random Person: Did you hear about this guy named John we don't know who cheated on his girlfriend?
Person I Hate: Oh really? I hate people who cheat, what a disgusting pig, I want nothing to do with him.

Random Person: Did you hear about our good friend John? He cheated on his girlfriend.
Person I Hate: Oh well, people make mistakes.

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh.
THIS! SO MUCH THIS!

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Magnicon said:
Random Person: Did you hear about this guy named John we don't know who cheated on his girlfriend?
Person I Hate: Oh really? I hate people who cheat, what a disgusting pig, I want nothing to do with him.

Random Person: Did you hear about our good friend John? He cheated on his girlfriend.

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh.
Aw, damn. This.

I've never had any respect for people who cheat, but I, myself have recently been cheated on and subsequently dumped out of shame, and all my friends and associates throughout college have really supported me. I have a veritable army of women ready to go and clobber my ex-girlfriend should I give the word (which I won't, because I'm a bigger person than that). It's great and it really cheers me up, but there's a girl who I know for a fact cheated, and unlike my ex, shows utterly no remorse for it. She is popular within this same group of people, and it just baffles me!

ChickNaney

May 6, 2009
It's only in games, but color coordination. Like in Halo's Forge mode, it irks me when people don't set the pieces to the corresponding team. I've had friends make maps and ask me to look at them, then all I do is set everything to the right team. It's been really annoying since they found out about it, too, because they'll just randomly set a piece to the yellow team, for example, just to mess with me.

Also, political correctness always gets me angry.

Rumpsteak

Nov 7, 2011
People in schools, lecture halls or work places who won't switch their mobile phone silent mode before entering. Sure, you may be waiting on a very important call but does that mean I have to hear an obnoxious ringtone every ten minutes? no!

Coincidentally my authentication code is "no-brainer".

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
interspark said:
I'm generally chilled, but for some reason i always go up in arms whenever people mix up the word "hyroglyphs" with "hyroglyphics" which isn't a word, so what random thing winds you up?
Hieroglyphs [http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hieroglyphs+?s=t]

Hieroglyphics [http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hieroglyphics]

Both are words, and you didn't get either one right yourself. If you're going to get mad about something, make sure you're correct!

Mine's already been covered, smacking noises when someone eats... distance depending. If they are further away it's fine but if they're sat next to me the sound makes me rage. I've absolutely no idea why.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
People who wear open toed shoes in inadequate weather and situations
People (girls usually) who wear close toed shoes without socks (moccasins and those booties)
Repeating the same phrase or word over and over, namely 'Basically' and 'awesome'
Apostrophe misuse
Magnicon said:

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh.
Double standard and that bullshit. The way I hear the lopsided argument is "If x cheats on y, it's because x is a bagdouce. If y cheats on x, it's because x isn't appealing to y anymore."

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
People who eat loudly, or even, listening to people eat at all.
I know we all do it, and I'm sure I'm far from silent, but when I hear people slopping their food around like camels there's a fury inside me that cannot be quelled...

Jesus. Captcha: tea with jam

EDIT: Also when people miss letters when pronouncing words. It's specific, not pacific. I'ts fucking proBABly. Not probly, and sure as hell not prolly.

Darh Abdomino

Sep 20, 2010
A couple for me, the first that comes to mind is people's headsets that echo. Another, related one, are the people who choose to carry conversation outside the game without a mic. I use "conversation" loosely, as about half of them involve yelling, barking dogs or just plain screaming.

doomspore98

May 24, 2011
requisitename said:
People being constantly late, especially if they lie about when they'll be there. As in, they tell me that they're headed to the rendezvous point right now, then when I call them two hours later because they haven't shown up, they STILL aren't actually on their way yet.

That makes me crazy.
That drives me crazy as hell.

Also, I can incorporate this with video games. When game developers only make a little spurt of blood coming out of a character when you shoot them, and then its gone. I like it in red dead when the blood stays there for a while.

People who randomly swear in a crowd, I swear but its just unnecessary there.

Not flushing the toilet

People who read over your shoulder when reading is probably the biggest one