A question for non-Americans!

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Canid117 said:
EDIT: I changed the title. Happy now?
Well, America is two continents (or one super-continent, if you prefer), so you are excluding Canadians, Mexicans and everyone in South America.

[small]Yeah, ok, I'll be quiet now[/small]

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
thaluikhain said:
Canid117 said:
Well, America is two continents (or one super-continent, if you prefer), so you are excluding Canadians, Mexicans and everyone in South America.

Why I aughtta!

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
Canid117 said:
Rugby isn't shown much here. You can catch it on specialty channels like Fox Soccer plus and I am pretty sure the world cup is pay per view but other than that you aren't going to see it on TV that often. Maybe really late night ESPN if you are lucky.
I think it's being shown on BBC America, but I guess that's not the same as being shown on a leading American network/channel, unlike the super bowl on the BBC.

Out of curiosity to anyone who may know, does BBC America have commerical advertisements? In the UK the BBC only advertises it's own programs during ad breaks, and ad breaks only occur in between programs and not in the middle of them.

mb16

make cupcakes not bombs
Sep 14, 2008
the way i see it, its like rugby mixed with football, the army and more time spent jest standing around.
so they play a game like rugby but have the personality of football stars, wear massive amounts of protective clothing and stop every time someone runs more than 5meters with the "ball"

OT: no im dont really watch sports

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Calcium said:
Canid117 said:
Rugby isn't shown much here. You can catch it on specialty channels like Fox Soccer plus and I am pretty sure the world cup is pay per view but other than that you aren't going to see it on TV that often. Maybe really late night ESPN if you are lucky.
I think it's being shown on BBC America, but I guess that's not the same as being shown on a leading American network/channel, unlike the super bowl on the BBC.

Out of curiosity to anyone who may know, does BBC America have commerical advertisements? In the UK the BBC only advertises it's own programs during ad breaks, and ad breaks only occur in between programs and not in the middle of them.
Yeah I am pretty sure it does have normal ads.

supermariner

Aug 27, 2010
i'm sure people outside America do care about the superbowl

but the interest outside the US is so minimal. It's probably down to the exclusivity of your sports
virtually no country plays American Football outside of america
so it's unlikely anybody will watch it. it's too similar to rugby anyway (YES i know there are big differences) but because it's similar and rugby is already far more popular in britain American football has never really had a role in british sports
so i can't answer for every country. but Britain probably wont be. some will of course. but a very very small minority

tigermilk

Sep 4, 2010
The only sports I watch tend to be snooker and darts. If I got a call from a mate saying a load of people were going to get some lagers in and watch it I would probably tag along, but I imagine it will pass me by without noticing.

Nothing against the Superbowl, I just don't give a shit.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Canid117 said:
thaluikhain said:
Canid117 said:

Why I aughtta!
I was going to see if I could throw in the contiguous United States, given that Hawaii is way over there...but actually, is the Superbowl popular in Hawaii, given that it is way over there? One wonders what the cultural differences are, being so far removed from mainland US.

Maquette

Robot Oeuf
Sep 10, 2009
No, I'm not watching it. I'm massively confused as to why the BBC are giving it so much coverage given the relative obscurity of the sport in the U.K. >:|

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
No, I am not planning on watching the superbowl, no I do not care at all and was completely unaware that it was due. Mind you I would say the same about pretty much any sporting event.

They keep trying to push it every few years and it never catches on.

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
Well I'll be watching (then again American here). I'm mainly watching because you STEELERS, being from Pittsburgh and all. We better win win, yeah, thats all I'm gonna say.