A question for our non-smoking, non-drinking, non-recreational-drugs-using, romance seeking Escapees

Madkipz

Apr 25, 2009
"A simple question.

Are you happy?"

depends on the definition of happy ;) as for addictions mine is adrenaline.

Apr 24, 2008
I don't do any of that alot, I do enjoy a drink now and then though, and I have no qualms about a bit of casual sex...I'm far from prolific.

I have no doubt that alot of people would think my existence was fairly boring, but I enjoy it immensly. I play badminton a few nights a week, and spend alot of time playing rock & roll music, I especially like writing music.

reggaerae

Jun 24, 2010
Timotheus said:
I don't drink, smoke etc. and I feel good with it. Overall I'm not completely happy, but the reason for this is not related to my lifestyle.

My view on alcohol and drugs: If you need them to be happy, then it means you can't enjoy life sober. Either your life is not that good or you just can't use your potential to be happy on a normal way. You try to compensate for your closed mind with substances, instead of working on your problems.
Smoking: I can't really see any pleasure. It doesn't taste good and the only reason you do it is your addiction. The relief after smoking a cigarette is how non-addicted feel like all the time.
If you do not partake in alcohol and drug use - are you really 'qualified' and experienced enough to make that decision?
I enjoy life both sober and high. Both conditions have their perks and disadvantages.

Sep 17, 2009
No, I need mind altering substances to keep my life interesting. I am not self aware enough to look within myself for internal happiness. My friends are pathetic and boring and their company is meaningless to me.

Oh wait...none of that is true.

I pretty happy not wasting my braincells and money thank you very much.

reggaerae

Jun 24, 2010
Doclector said:
I don't smoke because I don't see the point in it, I don't take drugs because I feel I'd be too succeptible (sp?) to addiction, I drink when I feel like it, and I've given up on sex/romance. Romance because there is no such thing, just shallow attraction. People who need each other are weak, they depend on their partners like a child unable to leave the house without their favourite stuffed animal. Sure, life would be easier with someone else to help me, but they'd only betray me in the end, and if there is one thing I allow myself to feel proud of, it's my ability to stand alone.

And I've given up on sex because I'm simply one of the most hideous sights this planet has to offer, thus meaning no-one would ever want to have sex with me.

Happy? Rarely. But strong? Unimaginably so.
I am kind of interested to see a picture of you now. Like, freak show intrigued :)

Amphoteric

Jun 8, 2010
I've always wanted to poison my body and dramatically reduce my life expectancy so I might give drugs and smoking a try.

Withall

Jan 9, 2010
I don't use either of the stated mediums. I can't afford any of it with good conscience. I have ingested alchocol, I have not smoked, and I wouldn't be able to spot a recreational drug if I didn't have a cheat-sheet, and I have not had any kind of sex in my life.

I can consider my to be boring, yes. But I am largely happy in my simplicity, and because thinking about "excesses" make me depressed. I do what I can to be happy, or at least, satisfied for the moment.

I don't miss drinking as an activity, but I do miss the social activity it represents. I haven't smoked, so I couldn't possibly miss it. I do remember the smoke itself, and how nasty it smells.

Drugs? I've used... 5-6 pills of aspirin IN MY LIFE (as I can consciously remember), and nothing else.

Sex? Never had it. Would like to, but I'm not about to try to take a ride on the town bicycle (she was a former classmate!)

My life might be empty, compared to the people who can afford to travel or go downtown every weekend. I need a job, and from there, I can improve my life.

But overall, I AM happy with my life AS IT IS RIGHT NOW.

Musclepunch

Jan 9, 2010
Your the one that makes your life not boring, I dont drink,smoke,use drugs or hire prostitutes, I have alternative, your life is only as boring as YOU make it, I'm sure you could find a substitute to your highs and lows.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
Yes, I'm perfectly happy. By not making my life a string of quick pleasures, I have the ability to focus on things that combine short-term and long-term happiness. I hate random hook-ups anyway; relationships provide a much greater sense of satisfaction. Sure, I've had the opportunity to have sex, but I always chose not to. Why? Because I'd rather have it mean something when I'm actually with someone I love, rather than the inevitable physical pleasure to accompany any female interaction I have.

Aside from the usual "think of the consequences" banter that people have been spraying you with, I'd also like to point out that, with a lifestyle like yours, you'll probably end up having some form of regret in your old age. I'm constantly working on making things (including a Live Arcade game that should be released in the next year or two), and I'm also working towards my medical degree.

At the end of my life, I want to look back on it and find that I brought joy to others, and not just myself. I want to be able to think of all the great things I've done, not just all the great times I had.

That's where we differ, I believe.

Claymorez

Our King
Apr 20, 2009
Spinozaad said:
I don't; drink, smoke or do drugs. I gave up bad food like chocolate and sweets a year ago to work on my sixpack. I don't do them because I want to live a long healthy life - I am also a future doctor and I don't believe in encouraging behaviour that is potentially ruinous to people. As the saying goes I know people who can run across roads with there being hundreds of cars at high speeds coming on it and never get hit...are you one of them? I.e. The risk isn't worth the gain in my books. I live what I consider a happy life - I don't find myself needing recreational drugs (yes alcohol is a drug [CnH2n+1OH]) to supplement happiness in my life - but I guess to each his own. What I have issue with is when people try and force their lifestyle on other people. Also I do consider myself a romance seeker :p

Lady Nilstria

Aug 11, 2009
I don't do any of that. Having alcoholics on both sides of the family doesn't lend itself to a good view on drinks.

Not only am I happy, I am fulfilled. Real Christianity does that to a person.

9NineBreaker9

Nov 1, 2007
I'm unhappy with my life because I'm a paranoid schizophrenic, and I don't really need to augment the daily reality with anything that makes it "extra" ordinary - my life is already fairly extraordinary.

In addition, I've watched the lives of those who do give themselves over to drinking, to drugs, and to random sex deteriorate over the years to the point where their cheep thrills prevent them from giving a damn about the immediate reality - I floored a friend of mine who almost killed himself by doing this, and I am not one to cause violence onto others.

I don't think anyone is really, truly happy... while some can find a sense of happiness in pot or sex or whatever they so choose, they seem to be entirely miserable without it.

I abstain from drinking because I haven't yet tried something that doesn't taste like piss and cough syrup. I don't smoke cigarettes because I already have a perpetual headache and don't care to worsen that. I don't do drugs because I'm generally in another world entirely. I don't have random sex because my advances would probably result in getting the shit beat out of me. xD

cptn ricardo

Dec 5, 2009
I drink but only when I'm with friends cos usually something memorable happens. And I occassionally smoke the odd cigar on birthdays or for celebratory purposes. But drugs are a no go for me. I don't see the point to be honest. Fine if other people do it but I'd rather not. As for sex, I'm a hopeless romantic, so for me it has to be with someone I care about. And yeah, apart from being single at the moment, I'm pretty darn happy.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
OP, you'll find if you keep doing what you're doing all your life, you're going to regret it later.

The reason we don't drink or smoke or have lots of sex, is because we care about the future as well as the now. We don't need drugs or sex constantly to be happy.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I wouldn't say I am one of those people who look down on those who enjoy the "fast life" so to speak, only if they rely on these things to fulfil all of their happiness.

Basically if someone likes that stuff then great, but when they can only achieve happiness when their mind is altered chemically or they are fulfilling their basic instincts then I question whether they truly are happy or just trying to avoid their unhappiness when they are sober.

I used to smoke but stopped when it was banned in places such as night clubs. I drink very occasionally, but never more than one or two drinks, never tried any other drugs and never wanted to. Casual sex doesn't appeal to me to be fair, although I don't look down on anyone for it as long as everyone involved knows what the deal is; I hate guys who act like a decent, romantically interested person for sex then leave a as soon as they got what they really wanted.

etherlance

Apr 1, 2009
Well I don't smoke, drink, take drugs and all that other stuff and I'm quite happy.
And do you want to know why that is?......simple really.
Because ten years from now:

* My lungs will still be healthy and cancer free.
* My brain will remain intact without narcotics reducing it to mush.
* My liver will be fully functional and whole.

There's also that whole thing about setting a good example to children and what not, but today I'll just focus my point on the fact that I'm not slowly destroying each part of my body with that shit and that down the line I'll still be in good shape.......

......So yeah I'm pretty happy the way I am... The only addiction in my life are video games.

Beliyal

Big Stupid Jellyfish
Jun 7, 2010
First, I am amazed at how many non-drinking, non-smoking people there are. I live in surroundings where all these things are considered normal and even desirable. Okay, maybe not the drugs and the casual sex (especially if you're a woman), but drinking and smoking is taken in such way that people think it's "cute" when your four year old son/daughter tries beer. So, for many years, I believed myself to be some sort of a freak because everybody looked at me like a retard for not liking alcohol. It took me hours of explaining that I just don't like those things, much similar to them not liking skiing or watching movies.

Second, no, I do not indulge in any of those things and I am happy with my life because there are other things that I can enjoy with. I know this has been said a lot on the last pages, but I'd like to share my opinion as well. Happiness is not something that depends on the way you seek it; some people seek it with alcohol or smoking, some seek it with gardening or playing games. I seek it with reading, writing, playing games, watching movies, exploring, enjoying my college, my friends. My main reason for not indulging in drinking is the fact that I am (probably) alcohol intolerant (as I am known for having strange reactions even to the sole smell of alcohol; it makes me sick even when some of my family members put alcoholic beverage on the table). The reason for not smoking is similar; I tend to get headaches even from being exposed to cigarette smoke for a few minutes (yes, going to bars is really hard for me). Drugs are not something that interest me in any way (besides, I get a lot "Are you on drugs?" questions which may mean that I can be as funny/interesting when sober just as someone that takes drugs; I guess that's a plus for me because I'm naturally silly when I want to be). Casual sex does not interest me either, nor did I ever seek a strictly sexual relationship. Drinking, smoking, taking drugs and having casual sex sounds really boring to me (and painful when it comes to first two). If somebody offers me a night at the club, drinking, smoking (provided I can do those things), taking drugs and having casual sex as opposed to staying home with a good movie, a book and having fun chatting with my friends, I'll choose the latter instantly and never ever regret it. Strange world, isn't it?

Third, I respect any way(s) of seeking happiness, but there is a slight probability that we will not get along if you drink, smoke, take drugs and see me as a sexual object.

Fourth (and last, I swear), I am not always happy. But no one is. We all have our moments of sadness or not being happy about things in general. I don't think that my activities have anything to do with the fact that we are all still just human beings that tend to experience different emotions in their lifetime. As a matter of fact, I think my activities helped me a lot when I wasn't feeling well; just as someone feels better after smoking or drinking, I feel better after I watch a movie, read a book, or write a story.

I hope these eight pages of responses gave you the idea of what differences in people really are and that you can now grasp our way of perceiving happiness, at least a little bit.

May 28, 2009
Honestly I am happy. I do on occation drink, but I don't like getting drunk, infact I feel like crap when I'm drunk.

Basicly I don't touch anything that can seriously mess with my head or senses.

But yeah happy, good life, good friends and a great girlfriend.

Just because I don't drink or do drugs doesn't mean I don't have fun or even not hang out with people who do.

molester jester

Sep 4, 2008
Doclector said:
fletch_talon said:
Doclector said:
Romance because there is no such thing, just shallow attraction. People who need each other are weak, they depend on their partners like a child unable to leave the house without their favourite stuffed animal.
Here's a tip for future reference.
Personal experience and anecdotal evidence do not make opinions fact.
I'm sorry you've had a crap time when it comes to relationships, but to claim you're superior (stronger) than others because they've found the love and romance that eludes you is ridiculous. Not to mention it makes you sound like a wanker.
Well, it works for me. I'm 19, if it hasn't happened yet, it never will. THerefore I have two options, I sit around being emo about it or I grow a pair and get used to the idea, never making the same mistakes again.
I had the exact same attitude for about a week when i was 15 and i had just gotten dumped for the first time. you have to accept that a lot of relationships are not going to end well but that does not mean you should give up on them. And the whole no such thing as love sounds very very emo to me.