A question for PC Gamers. Why all the hostility towards console gamers/gaming?

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
Darmani said:
Not PC Gamer but to answer the OP to be one you effectively have to become so technically skilled you're virtually ready for A+ certification.
lol what? It's literally jamming parts into other parts where they fit(hint they only fit where they are supposed to, so if you can't put together a computer then you probably also had trouble as a child with those blocks that fit into same-shaped holes.) Oh and then you screw everything in with a screwdriver. Very complex.

Estelindis

Jan 25, 2008
As a PC gamer, I don't hate consoles. I just have no interest in them. I would be annoyed if a game I wanted to play wasn't released on PC, but that would be an issue with the developer, not the consoles.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
I'm a PC gamer and I prefer PC gaming over console gaming more for extra functionality than for graphics. Fuck, I don't give two shits about graphics so long as it was designed well to compensate for it.

I have no hostility towards console gamers/gaming because I still appreciate playing on consoles (Nintendo specifically) and handhelds too. On top of that, I'm well aware that PC gaming has challenges to it that make it less attractive for more people that go beyond price. Recently, a good friend got a PC and wanted to jump into PC gaming. He bought PayDay 2 in the belief it would work on his system as it met all the system requirements for it. As it turns out, the only thing wrong with it was that his graphics card, while capable of running it, was not compatible with the game and there is not fix yet for it, if there ever will be. Frustrating things like that make me understand why PC gaming still isn't what everyone does.

Or, another case, I was trying to play Oblivion a while back. I couldn't get it to start and it would constantly crash at start up. I looked up every possible solution to fixing it I could. After an hour of searching and trying different things, I found out my sound card could be a problem. Apparently by turning off one of the features/settings, it would allow the game to run. That's something I've never come across in any other PC game I've played, and I was just dumbfounded that such a problem could even occur for just this one game. The hassle of having to look up the problem and try so many different methods to fix it just to play the damn thing is another reason why I understand the lack of appeal of PC gaming.

If such things didn't happen, I would see no issues with PC gaming. But, as it stands, there are still some bugs with it that need fine tuning.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
Usually, its people joking around.
Sometimes, its people being serious but that's a little rarer. And it tends to be people just getting into PC.

Frankly, though, I've seen much more hostility from console gamers. "So what system do you use?" "Oh I use PC." "OMG, UR AN ELITIST SCUM!" (refuses to talk to me after that)

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
One is not superior to another for any reason, its all preference. Liking or not liking a particular hardware is completely subjective. Using technical specs as a comparative bullet list of superiority seems to be lacking a key ingredient - the individual perspective. If out of 100 things, 99 of them were better (higher quality, better resolution) on one system, it could be that 1 thing on the "inferior" system was important enough to the individual that it outweighs ALL 99 of the other points. So then you are right back to where you started - two people arguing over their preference. Seems kinda pointless doesn't it?

Nielas

Dec 5, 2011
Mycroft Holmes said:
Darmani said:
Not PC Gamer but to answer the OP to be one you effectively have to become so technically skilled you're virtually ready for A+ certification.
lol what? It's literally jamming parts into other parts where they fit(hint they only fit where they are supposed to, so if you can't put together a computer then you probably also had trouble as a child with those blocks that fit into same-shaped holes.) Oh and then you screw everything in with a screwdriver. Very complex.
Not even that. Most PC gamers will just buy a computer in the store and the store employees will assemble it. At most the gamer will install a new video card. For the majority of people that is all the skill set required to be a PC gamer. I've been playing on PCs most of my life and only recently decided to assemble a computer from parts. The previous 5 PCs I owned were bought and assembled in a store.

Nielas

Dec 5, 2011
bobleponge said:
What PC gamers often forget is that PC gaming requires a major investment that consoles do not: Time. It takes time to figure out how to build a PC, it takes time to figure out what parts to buy, it takes time to build the thing, it takes time to debug it it when it doesn't work properly, and it takes time to play all of those cheap games. For console gamers, that time investment isn't worth it.

PC gamers seem to not be able to wrap their heads around the fact that console gamers just have different priorities. I know that your PC has fancier graphics and bigger numbers. I don't care. If that mattered to me I'd have a PC. For someone who just wants to stick in a AAA game and play it a little bit after work some times, and has no interest in modding or tricking out the graphics, consoles are the superior choice.

I think this elitism (which totally is a thing, just look at this thread) comes from the fact that PC gamers see the industry catering to the needs of console gamers more than PC gamers. They feel threatened, so they get overly defensive when these discussions come up.
You seem to be unaware that most PC gamers do none of these things. They go to a computer store, choose a PC setup that appeals to them, pay for the computer, the store employees build and test the computer and the gamer takes the PC home. Then he/she buys a game, clicks a few dialogs to install it and once installation is complete, simply plays the game. If a console gamer does not have the time to do these simple things then how does he/she have time to buy and play console games?

If the PC has a hardware problem, you take it to a store and have it repaired. No real know-how required and probably preferable than having a console brick on you.

cefm

Mar 26, 2010
The PC gamer has always looked down a bit on consoles from a pure technology standpoint, in that if you have $3,000 to throw down on a PC Gaming unit you can get hardware that far outperforms consoles. There's also the much greater flexibility that console games have from a design standpoint because they aren't forced into the technical specifications box that a console creates (not to mention the console-specific games war) and the keyboard/mouse/other peripherals allow much greater options for play-style.

BUT - those are just normal "anything you can do I can do better" snob things.

My opinion is that the real "console-hate from the PC Master Race (TM)" comes from fear. The games industry has for a number of years been pivoting away from computer-based games and toward consoles for a variety of reasons, and the end result is more and more console-only games, or delayed release of watered down ports to PC, or games designed with console game-play in mind that don't take advantage of a PC's additional capabilities. The fear of every PC gamer is that the next big must-play game (or next installment of their favorite) will not be on PC and will be console-only, and that the PC game-pool will shrink down to irrelevance.

That PC gamers(as a total community, not individuals) are almost entirely responsible for game manufacturers shifting away from PC to Console is another discussion, but is relevant.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
Crappy console ports. Plain and simple. Plus the end of console life-cycle invariably dumbs down PC games as PC hardware has run impossibly far ahead of console power and yet games keep getting released that refuse to take advantage of it because CONSOLES.

PCs are better for some games, consoles for others; I fully recognize that (my biggest frustration is lack of analog movement controls on PC). However, these considerations rarely have any impact on publisher plans. These focus on "market size" and "demographics" without worrying about mechanics. Sure, you can say, they have a business to run, but that doesn't make the practice any less frustrating.

NeutralGray

Jul 21, 2013
T_ConX said:
Why is PC the mustard race?

Because consoles need to KETCHUP!

The only people who say that PC gamers have anger issues toward console gamers are console gamers. Most PC Gamers can easily afford a console or two if they really want one. I know I do.

Is this about GTAV? Because if it is, I'll tell you straight...

I wanted it on PC. I really, truly did.

It's not a matter of 'I won't be able to play it if it's not on PC'. No, it's 'I could easily play it on my EIGHT YEAR OLD XBOX 360, but I'd rather play it on my custom built beast of a desktop.'

Why?

"The only people who say that PC gamers have anger issues toward console gamers are console gamers."

Well... yeah. They'd be the ones directly affected.

Jason Triggs

Sep 25, 2013
(1) There are some people who prefer to play on their big screen tv. No, I will not move my tower PC into the room with the television. No, I will not run a 50 foot hdmi cable to the television, not interested.

(2) Those that enjoy some console exclusives. This is less of an issue as in the past, but still relevant.

(3) Those that enjoy playing with family members or friends. Do you want to huddle around your computer monitor playing a game with 3-4 controllers plugged into your PC? You can, as long as you bring 2-3 extra chairs...(sarcasm)

(4) Those that cannot be bothered with the hassles that every PC gamer has experienced. Whether it be immature drivers or something on your PC that doesn't agree with the game. I can empathize with this view point. Consoles are designed to play a game with as little fuss as necessary.

(5) There are many people who do not have the knowledge or interest in building their own PC, at any budget.

Now, I play video games on my PC. I haven't owned a console since PS1 & the first Xbox, but I am considering getting a PS4 simply because I have an urge to play on the big screen again.

To each their own. There's choices for everyone.
Yes, the PC is the more powerful animal here, but that's not the only reason why people like to play on a console.

Denizen

Jan 29, 2010
sneakypenguin said:
Is it elitism if its right? A solid 200 dollar gfx card is going to get more than double the pixels, 4-8-12 times the video ram, at twice the framerate with AA, SSAO, AF, dx11, tessalation, better shadows, lighting, massively more draw distance. Much less if you build a 1000 dollar beast computer. Mods, fixes,community balance patches, texture work etc. Outside of consoles exclusives PC is so far ahead of this gen its not even funny.

Its not that I hate consoles, or console gamers its just that i hate the backwards console experience, the so easily eclipsed tech, games designed like corridors so they can fit into 256 v ram, keeping the console gui in ports, ports that don't allow for basic PC features(dark souls, darksiders) and the graphic stagnation to where a 6-7 year old game still is held up as a graphical benchmark(crysis)

Imagine your ps3 but everything was still made for a ps2 would there not be some tension or frustration there, both with devs who are giving you a ps2 or 2.5 quality experience, and with the ps2 owners who say, "looks good to me, not everyone has the money for a ps3".
This is exactly how the situation is. If you remove all the sensationalizing, this is exactly what PC gaming enthusiasts feel about the console-PC relationship.

As for OP, as many have said already, it's the people on both sides that have a hard time explaining how it feels without going straight into antagonizing one another. The "PC gaming elite" is just a joke that some people took seriously or misuse but it does illustrate a point, albeit brashly. A $400 carefully selected build for a PC outperforms today's consoles and it's not too long before that price range buys you something that matches, then soon after, overtakes the upcoming console.

It might have already happened because of the arbitrary nature of PC part costs. I'm going to generalize, but it's very apparent that console gamers, or people that are otherwise unaware of how PCs work, still go by a fixed cost standard in determining quality. That said, with a bit of research and smart buying, you could assemble a powerful PC that's below the expected price range. And to specify, I'm strictly refer to ordering and assembling a PC from custom parts. Store-bought PCs have demonstrated they're always over-priced for what you get; but, they get away with it because people do not know what they're buying and that it should cost less. If you know anyone who's buying a new PC (or even Mac), for whatever purpose, do not buy a pre-built store-bought PC - even if you don't plan on using it for gaming. Even the seemingly good deals have a purposely and dangerously low-end part(s) that will die on you within six months. That's why so many PCs (and macs)need repair, not because they're some kind of technological entity that always follows some code or nature, but because manufacturers rely on consumer ignorance to make customers come back to replace, pay maintenance, and so on. I'm saying this as a concerned friend, I've had to help so many friends and family with these problems so much so that I'm used to explaining this, please do not misunderstand.

I'm not downplaying people's objection to PC-performance/cost, but it's a common misconception; the myth that you need an expensive PC to play games at those coveted high settings. Despite that, I insist, stick to what you like but learn to understand the truth to a situation that is causing so much unneeded conflict.

Also consider, it's hard - to say the least - to deny that there's so much potential being ignored, that we should have so much greater games which push forward and create actual innovation; something that's being held back by technical limitations. Yes, a careful developer can create something amazing that stays within restrictions; but let's realize, when that same developer who knows how to get the most out of certain restrictions has more room to expand and bring out the fully realized concept their game was going with, imagine the possibilities - they're practically endless. I shouldn't have to say this, but it goes without saying, improved technology does improve the gameplay possibilities; and personally, I'm way past ready for new gameplay mechanics and things we haven't seen before because it wasn't technologically possible on consoles.

What I'm saying is, if you like what you see now; that you believe developers are making due well enough with the hardware they have to make a game run on, that you are content with all of the above said, then imagine all of that as it were. Now, imagine it as exponentially better, all the things it couldn't do are now expanded thanks to now-lifted technical limitations. And the tech to make that possible is already there. I want this to be real and for it to be real soon.