A sad day for humanity or at least the public image of these women.

Ledan

Apr 15, 2009
In private sure, talk about whatever you want. But when you are on a public podium, in an influential position? Nope. Sweden has made this a crime and I agree, you can be a bigot if you want but you are not allowed to propagate it.
Also, my faith in humanity was at a low point today and now its crushed....... also found out I have no voice at all. Yay.......(sarcasm)

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
RanD00M said:
[1] And before someone goes on a rant about freedom of speech I only have one thing to say, is common decency not a little more important than freedom of speech.
No. Freedom of speech>Preference not to be offended. You don't have a right to be mentally shielded from views.

*And try not to watch Frankie Boyle if you found that clip bad.

I laughed. In a black humour kind of way. Obviously it's unjustifiable and blah blah but I'm too far removed from the events themselves to invoke any real response.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I don't even know what The talk is, but the whole damned lot of them are a group of harpies, and I wouldn't want to get any kind of advice from Sharon Osbourne of all people. I am sorry, but mutilation is never a way to go. This was a gross overexaggeration to an absolutely stupid argument and the woman should be locked up and never be allowed near sharp object.

Babitz

Jan 18, 2010
As a man, I feel his pain. After reading about this, I had to check if my... manhood was still in place.

Azrael the Cat

Dec 13, 2008
BigCat91 said:
First off, it's really sad that people believe this is OK to laugh about. I mean for god sake we approach other acts of physical violence with seriousness, except for the male genitalia. I mean for god sake this man was practically raped. He was drugged, sexually assaulted, and had a reproductive organ torn apart. Would it be so funny if a man cut a woman's vagina, or plugged her cervix? No! This is a double standard and you know what, double standards are BS! This is why feminism sickens me, most forms of feminism is taken to radical extremes that it no longer matters whether it empowers a woman, but whether it weakens a man. Why is it so acceptable for violence to be used in a manner that limits this man's ability to have a family? Why is it acceptable for a woman to blame her unacceptable behavior, on solely her emotions? There is no excuse even if this man did cheat!
It's a big stretch bringing feminism into this. It was a talkshow, not a gender studies text. Working as a university lecturer, I have never encountered any text, article or presentation within womens' studies or equivalent feminist literature that has ever advocated genital mutilation, whether male or female.

You're just talking out of your ass, as though any wrongdoing by any woman is somehow a piece of feminist politics.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
For some reason, a woman cutting off a man's cock has become some sort of symbol against female oppression. Even when the woman herself isn't being opressed at all. Add to that the notion that dicks are usually seen as "funny", and it's not too strange that the general audience jokes around with news stories like this.

If it was the other way around though; If a man had cut out a woman's private parts, you'd bet your bazooka that nobody would make jokes about that.

Sammaul

Nov 25, 2009
Only reasonable things mentioned were said by Carry and Diane (Leah Rimini and Roseanne's daughter)

Disgusting story, to say the least.

General_Knowledge

Jun 12, 2011
RanD00M said:
And before someone goes on a rant about freedom of speech I only have one thing to say, is common decency not a little more important than freedom of speech.
No. It's not.

You are offended. What you have to understand is that your being offended is absolutely meaningless.

Yea. Those women are wrong, and oh so very stupid. So what? Move on.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
An excellent story you bring up for my observation, being Australian, I hadn't heard this. This is why I like the internet, learning more and being better informed.

One criticism: Don't make the comment about decency as opposed to Freedom Of Speech. The indecent claim has been used in the past to punish homosexuals, radicals, and is related to Blashphemy in the legal sense (A law which thankfully is not as prevalent as it once was). Freedom of Speech trumps manners in all respects, I think what you mean is that uninformed or bigoted opinions should not be listened to, which is always the responsibility of the viewer. It's our responsibility to view the beliefs and opinions of Racists, bigots, or those who are simply biased, uninformed, or unqualified to present their opinion on the subject as being of less worth than those who specialize in their field.

For a good example of this, I advise you look up "The Justice Game." By Geoffrey Robertson QC, which details many of these types of legal cases in Britain, Australia and British Protectorates, none of which are, or have been, protected by a constitutional freedom of speech.
Sorry, I get touchy when people try to suggest restrictions on freedom of speech, especially in the politeness case, where it tends to hold the same weight as "For the children".

And again, thankyou.

General BrEeZy

Jul 26, 2009
thats as funny as me ripping a lady's parts out with a rusty fish hook. just don't go there, it ain't right. ick.

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
I don't really have an opinion on this situation but I have to answer to one thing you said:

RanD00M said:
]And before someone goes on a rant about freedom of speech I only have one thing to say, is common decency not a little more important than freedom of speech.
No. It isn't. They're in their full right to be idiots, and there's nothing you can or should be able to do about it.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Doctor Glocktor said:
technoted said:
Truth be told I'm a guy and I'd hate to have my tallywhacker lopped off, none the less this made me laugh and who cares what people think? I for one am glad that they broadcast women saying that more women should slash off more mens dicks, I don't agree with it but it shows that people can say what they want and not be forced to say what some higher power tells them to say.
This guy has it right. Making fun of people with horrific injuries? Hilarious.

Lets mock them cripples next.
You almost made me cringe in despair, then I finished your post and my heart was relieved.

OT: Fucking hell, here we go. The freedom-sayers are crawling out the woodwork.

Freedom of speech is a human right stating that no governmental body should be allowed to stop you stating your opinion, but it is not a bullet-proof pass to say whatever disgusting things you like. It's subject to many limitations, one of which these women have actually broken. Yes, freedom of speech is important. Everyone deserves it. But everyone also deserves compassion for a grievous wrongdoing against them that they did not deserve, and these women are in the wrong. End of.

Oh and please, no one try and tell me I don't appreciate freedom of speech. I'm a journalist.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
Seriously, no matter how many times I hear that story it still makes me slightly ill.

RanD00M said:
And before someone goes on a rant about freedom of speech I only have one thing to say, is common decency not a little more important than freedom of speech.
Since the woman was on TV, it should have been her responsibility to keep herself in check for the sake of her employers. With a job like that you have to relinquish a little personal input to keep things professional.

If she did that at her home or on the internet, acting as herself, then fine. But since she was on TV, she's more or less representing something that needs people tuning in to survive. It's her job to not say anything stupid, so I would agree with your statement there, since joining such a job is a choice.

But as a whole, fuck no. Freedom of speech is far, far more important than common decency.

Korak the Mad

Nov 19, 2010
Vanguard_Ex said:
Doctor Glocktor said:
technoted said:
Truth be told I'm a guy and I'd hate to have my tallywhacker lopped off, none the less this made me laugh and who cares what people think? I for one am glad that they broadcast women saying that more women should slash off more mens dicks, I don't agree with it but it shows that people can say what they want and not be forced to say what some higher power tells them to say.
This guy has it right. Making fun of people with horrific injuries? Hilarious.

Lets mock them cripples next.
You almost made me cringe in despair, then I finished your post and my heart was relieved.

OT: Fucking hell, here we go. The freedom-sayers are crawling out the woodwork.

Freedom of speech is a human right stating that no governmental body should be allowed to stop you stating your opinion, but it is not a bullet-proof pass to say whatever disgusting things you like. It's subject to many limitations, one of which these women have actually broken. Yes, freedom of speech is important. Everyone deserves it. But everyone also deserves compassion for a grievous wrongdoing against them that they did not deserve, and these women are in the wrong. End of.

Oh and please, no one try and tell me I don't appreciate freedom of speech. I'm a journalist.
I agree with you fully.

I support freedom of speech, I'm glad we have it, but not when it's used in such a way that is offensive to almost everyone who hears it. People should know when to censor themselves, especially when discussing a topic such as this.

They have the right to say what they want, but it doesn't mean they should.

crazyfills

Nov 12, 2010
[/quote] OT: Fucking hell, here we go. The freedom-sayers are crawling out the woodwork.

[/quote]
I totaly agree with being british I don't atualy have a right to free speech but I can definatly say that what they said was wrong and humiliating for the victem ( I opplogise for the misspelling) of this crime and it shouldn't be legal for them to say things like this on TV or anywhere else where many people can see it.

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
While I do see what a lot of people are saying, I don't see this as too big of a deal.

Let's not forget, we've had all sorts of comedians telling jokes about everything from slavery, to retardation to rape and abuse. Is it simply the "Freshness" of the affair that's bothering?

Yeah their Talk Show hosts and cracking jokes about it may be less than tasteful but when you get down to it is it any different than, say, South Park making a joke about topical subjects?

After all, they are a talk show whose vast majority are female, so of course their going to take a more "Lawl, you go girl" stance on it. Same way Howard Stern would take a more "Least his got some hand action" stance. This isn't a news program after all so their allowed more leeway with what they say.

Zeekar

Jun 1, 2009
They shouldn't be punished, no. How would you suggest punishing them? They were joking in bad taste (and probably too soon, at that). If we punished everyone that did that, one could not say we were being "civilized" in any stretch of the word. We've probably all done something similar at some point.

They will be held accountable by fans and random communities like this and I wouldn't be surprised if an apology or two was thrown out there. That's about all that needs to happen.

As for the actual crime, the woman will receive her just punishment. Hopefully.

Probably not. F**ed up justice system we have.

TL;DR:
Vandy said:
If you're mad about a hen house clucking, that's on you bud.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Aren't double standards fun? ¬____¬ Let's all hop aboard the Retard train to Stupid Town and Backwardsville.