A sad day for the escapist, as we have lost a dear friend

ZeroDotZero

Sep 18, 2009
Kortney said:
There are some major ones, that I won't post on the internet.

But I always do wish I spent more time with my friends from my childhood. They are now either different people or have moved so far away they feel like different people. Hell, some of them are dead. I long for the days I spent with my close friends when I was a child and I would love to see them all again.

But hey, you have to be realistic don't you? And this stuff happens in life. It happens to everyone. I'd just like to see them one more time. Even just to say good bye.
I never knew her, and as far as I am aware I never interacted with her, but I looked at her last posts and they made me incredibly sad. Writing farewells is something I have to do too often nowadays, and I hope they all go to a better place.

Rest in peace.

KnowYourOnion

Jul 6, 2009
Hader said:
It is with a heavy heart I bring this news to everyone here. Our fellow escapist, and my dear friend, [user]Kortney[/user], passed away a few days ago. Guess I jumped the gun with my thread to wish her well. I definitely feel much worse about it now.

(Her user profile if above link isn't working: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Kortney )

She was the victim of a car accident; she was in the passenger seat when someone ran a stop sign and hit the side of the car head on. At first she was just unconscious and had two broken legs. That's still quite bad yes, but at first things were looking fine. Evidently there was some serious head trauma that escaped the first glance of doctors, and on May 10th things got much worse, to the point where she eventually had three brain aneurysms. The third one did her in.

I know not everyone here knew Kortney well, or at all even. The escapist is quite the large community, as I have come to realize. But I am sure there are some regulars out there who remember her posts. She was always an avid poster in the R&P forums, probably pissing off just as many people as she made friends with! But her attitude was always amazing, both here and in real life. She had a damn big heart, and Kortney was always an amazing friend to both myself and all she crossed paths with.

Earlier someone had pointed out how it would be terribly ironic that her last post was in a thread entitled "Regrets", wherein she said she wish she had once chance to say goodbye to so many of her friends that had drifted apart from her. Well Kortney, now I think all those friends only wish they could have said goodbye to you. I know you always said that you did not fear your own death; and I know you greeted such an unfair end with a smile still. Your charm and your big heart are impossible for anyone to match in my books. Be at peace now though, Kortney, and know that I will never forget you. And maybe one day we will meet again, and if we do I will still take you out to dinner, as I had promised.

Excuse the rant everyone, but there you have it. I know she had some other good friends on here, if there is anything they would like to know more, you may PM me. But I wish to honor her memory in some way here, I guess a thread is a good place to start, however horribly bland that is in the long run.

[Mod edit: Temporarily stickied so people can pay their respects.]
My sympathies friend, She'll be remembered here
Have you asked the News Team to run a little feature about this? I'm sure they'd be happy to do it.

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
I read some of her posts, but I never knew her that well. It seems that lot of people here have nothing but fond memories of her and it has to mean something. Can't really find proper words, so I'll just express my condolences and say I'm really sad for your loss.

Nanaki316

Oct 23, 2009
Another one that didn't know her but I had seen her posts. God it's awful. I feel so sorry for her family and friends and anyone here on the Escapist. I feel saddened by this lost. I hope her memory is honoured x

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
I never knew her myself, but it's always a blow to lose, as I can see, a very well respected and loved member of a forum.

Another forum I'm on suffered a death late last year and it hit us all hard as we all knew him so well, even if we didn't know him in RL. So I can sympathise with all off you here who feel a massive loss.

And I'm so sorry for you loss, too, rest in peace, Kortney.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
I can't say I knew her well, but I definitely remember seeing her around. Very sad to hear.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I remember seeing her on the forum regularly, and not even knowing that she was a she.

I didn't really know her, but my condolences and well wishes to her family and loved ones.

Negotiator

Mar 17, 2011
Being relatively new to Escapist and its community, I didn't know Kortney at all. I am still sorry for her and wish she could still be here with us.

Lewg999

Jan 30, 2011
it is so nice to see a community response this respectful and kind without a single troll or hateful person.

and i am so sorry for your loss, i may not have known Kortney as i am new to the escapist but a death is a death and condolences to all who knew her

roguetrooper96

Feb 26, 2010
I'm very sorry to hear this, it must be terrible to lose someone who you are close to. You have my condolences and I wish you well in the hard coping to come.

Apr 8, 2010
I did not know her personally but I saw her posts often enough down in the R&P section. Good and smart posts. Never inflammatory nor unbalanced but instead always a good addition to any thread. I will miss them.

Rest in Peace Kortney and condolences to friends and family.