A Senior Dating an 8th Grader

jonyboy13

Aug 13, 2010
I don't know if I should laugh harder at him or her but I decided at him since he should know better.
Well, like it's been said before, if they didn't meet they don't date. They talk on the interwebz. That's quite pathetic at any case because of the age diffrence. I know that age diffrence doesn't matter but that only applies when you're older. They are from diffrent worlds because of the age so I really don't know what the fuck is wrong with your friend. Just get him a real girlfriend.

Xannieros

Jul 29, 2008
May seem like a huge gap right now, but I know many people who are 6 years+ and married. Biggest gap I know of is like 15 years difference.

As long as nothing "happens" between them until they're both 18+, no issues.

Dukenstein

Jul 14, 2010
Okay some people have this argument, "Hey. my parents are 5-10 years apart and they are just fine", but what they fail to realize is that at that age, the difference between a 18 year old and a 14 year old is huuuge. I mean, a 16 year old and a 17 year old are completely different, they even act different depending on grades. As you grow older, it becomes much more of a free for all. Around age 25 it stops mattering what the age difference is.

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
Eldarion said:
Is 8th grade freshmen year? Its been a while, I don't remember.

Anyway, if its a healthy relationship then its fine by me.
No thats 1 before freshman.....girl isnt in Highschool yet...not cool..kinda weird

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Seeing the title of this thread, I thought "what the fuck? Someone that is 65+ is dating someone that is in 8th grade?!?!" but after reading the OP, I realized it was just the fact that for some stupid reason, you Americans can't say "10th grade is 10th grade, 11th grade is 11th grade, and 12th grade is 11th grade". To be honest, I'm surprised you haven't thought up some retarded title for every single fucking grade yet.

My rage aside, I think its retarded for anyone who is <19 to date anyone who is any age. People at that age are too immature to enter a relationship for the correct mature reasons, and they almost always end poorly. Yes there are people who meet the person of their dreams in highschool, and go on to marry them, but still, those are extremely rare.
Needless to say, I think this person that is IN GRADE TWELVE, dating this person who is IN GRADE EIGHT, is stupid.

godofslack

May 8, 2011
RAKtheUndead said:
artanis_neravar said:
Also this is bordering on Pedophilia tell your friend to back off if he doesn't want to be labeled a sex offender for the rest of his life
Bordering on? That's stone-cold, obvious paedophilia, and deeply disturbing at that.
It's most certainly not. That's nowhere near pedophilia, that's only slightly below average. There is a massive difference between a full fledged adult and a legal adult being interested in someone in grade 8. It's very important to mention this ISN'T a sexual relationship, that would most certainly be wrong, this is a relationship that exists purely in thought, and as a rule, anything that exists only in thought can not be amoral.

Zyst

Jan 15, 2010
It's fine in my opinion. Emotionally they are at about the same age, just saying it's wrong because of how long they've been on the world is stupid.

SweEscaspist

Oct 13, 2010
To be honest, I don't really care, as long as they haven't had "6" yet. Then it would be reaaaaaaallyy akward.....

No, but if they like each other let them spend some time "together" over the Xbox Live thingie you are talking about. Just keep them away from the bed, she is still to young, let her hit her legal age first, if the guy can wait that long that is.

EDIT- Had a similar relationship once over the internet but that relationship died out so to speak. Be back in 6 months...yeah right.

Jewrean

Jun 27, 2010
Kakulukia said:
They haven't seen each other in person. Ever. Therefore they are not dating. Problem solved.
+1

No discussion needed.

Although that creepiness Mathematical formula could use more discussion. It is quite awesome.

Zyst said:
It's fine in my opinion. Emotionally they are at about the same age, just saying it's wrong because of how long they've been on the world is stupid.
Unless it's illegal. If he was a tad older it could be considered statutory rape. Erm... I mean providing sex was involved. Clearly there is none.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
If it isn't illegal for them to have sex now, it will be when he turns 18. So just a heads up that he better keep out of her pants unless he wants to risk doing time. It doesn't even matter if it's consensual, either.

JourneyMan88

Jun 30, 2009
If you'll permit me to paraphrase:

Jray1337 said:
...they have never seen each other in real life. Not even once....they ARE dating.
My reply then is "No, they are NOT". And you have nothing to worry about until someone actually makes the 2 1/2 hour drive and something physical happens. Then it's WTF were you thinking for the senior.

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
This is a non-issue. I really don't get all the arguments.
I had a 15-year old girlfriend when I was 19 and guess what? No one friggin' cared - none of our relatives, none of our friends. And why? Because it doesn't matter. Basing the acceptance of a relationship on a magical formula or on some kind of an age limit is just silly.
Maybe it's an American thing. *shrug*

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
Though I don't like to belittle any emotional connection between two people, if they've never actually met, I'm not sure it really counts as dating. I mean, at least you know they aren't actually having physical sex, and no-one's going to jail!

My take on this would be let it continue - you're the person who knows your friend - is he a perv? If not, then let them enjoy their relationship - it will last if it lasts.

Valksy

Nov 5, 2009
I think that not only is he rather pathetic for looking to a child for emotional attachment but he needs to be very careful of what he does/says. Honestly, I'm not in the mood to rummage through statute at the moment, but he needs to keep the term "grooming" in mind, which can be an offence in and of itself.

The Hairminator

How about no?
Mar 17, 2009
justnotcricket said:
Though I don't like to belittle any emotional connection between two people, if they've never actually met, I'm not sure it really counts as dating. I mean, at least you know they aren't actually having physical sex, and no-one's going to jail!

My take on this would be let it continue - you're the person who knows your friend - is he a perv? If not, then let them enjoy their relationship - it will last if it lasts.
This. In most of the world no one would have raised their eyebrows.

My main concern is the sillyness of the relationship. If they only live 2,5 hours from each others they should meet up pronto- or more likely just give it up since they both seem rather childish to me.