A short treatise on open worlds: Or, one of the few ways Skyrim fails

senordesol

Oct 12, 2009
My experience with Skyrim (and Oblivion, for that matter) is that everything seemed so...animitronic after a while. I know it's tough to fill hundreds of hours of content with unique things to do, but it all seemed so...robotic. I felt no culture in any of the towns (I refuse to call those glorified villages cities).

I went into the Companions Hall, expecting exaggerated accounts of old battles, slurping of ale and much merriment; but instead there two or three people sitting around the table quietly eating bread. I dropped a valuable, high-smithed piece of ebony armor -worth thousands of gold- right in the middle of solitude and NO ONE, not even the shady argonian, made for it.

I would have happily settled for a Skyrim with less stuff in it had there been more substance in it.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
senordesol said:
I dropped a valuable, high-smithed piece of ebony armor -worth thousands of gold- right in the middle of solitude and NO ONE, not even the shady argonian, made for it.
But they do go for it.......

Ive done it in every city from Riften to Whiterun.
-Dropping armor causes NPCs to run up and ask if they can have it.
-Dropping weapons in town causes guards to come up and ask you to pick it up, and to not leave weapon lying around. If you say you dont care, they will threaten to put you in jail, and ask for a bribe, not paying gives you a bounty of 50 gold.
-Dropping high value items like diamonds can cause massive riots in Riften, and cause bandits to kill each other. Or sometimes NPCs pick it up, walk up to you, and say "here I think you dropped this" and they try to give it back to you.
-Dropping low value items causes NPcs to criticize you for littering.

Its even listed on the wiki
http://uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:World_Interactions#Reactions

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Deshara said:
ItsNotRudy said:
But not fast-traveling gave you dragons and random camps to find. I found tons of stuff not fast-traveling places. It would be unrealistic to fill every inch with something to loot and something exciting.
Game design 101: If it's not fun, either fix it or cut it. It would be unfeasable to have a game with a hundred square miles to cross with interesting stuff.
That's why games don't make you cross a hundred square miles to get places. While this is an extreme example, this pretty much holds true for just about anything. Is walking for twenty minutes to get to a location boring? Then either fill the path with stuff to make it fun to do, or shorten the hike.
I'm pretty sure ItsNotRudy just explained now not fast-traveling was engaging. Skyrim does have lots of interesting stuff as you're traveling across the land. If you're on horseback then you can scope out dungeons and fortresses to poke around later, bandit encampments to disperse, and towns with inns and supplies. If you're on foot, then you can snatch alchemy ingredients from on and around the path and kill off random weak monsters for other supplies and such to sell. It's almost impossible to go from one town in Skyrim to another without coming across some interesting or significant feature. Going to a new town or location is never a boring affair, not if you stop staring at the marker on the map and keep your eyes open.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
I actually quite enjoy the normal travelling around and exploring in Skyrim. So, different strokes for different folks, I guess? >.>

senordesol

Oct 12, 2009
SajuukKhar said:
senordesol said:
I dropped a valuable, high-smithed piece of ebony armor -worth thousands of gold- right in the middle of solitude and NO ONE, not even the shady argonian, made for it.

-Dropping weapons in town causes guards to come up and ask you to pick it up, and to not leave weapon lying around. If you say you dont care, they will threaten to put you in jail, and ask for a bribe, not paying gives you a bounty of 50 gold.
-Dropping high value items like diamonds can cause massive riots in Riften, and cause bandits to kill each other. Or sometimes NPCs pick it up, walk up to you, and say "here I think you dropped this" and they try to give it back to you.

Its even listed on the wiki
http://uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:World_Interactions#Reactions
But they didn't. I watched them all day.

Abe Mac

Aug 11, 2011
Skyrim is one of the most fun games to wander around in. After about 300 hours, I renounced any fast traveling and even my trusty shadowmere in favor of simply waling from place to place. My most memorable encounter was when, during one of my frequent late-night skyrim sessions, I encountered the headless horsemen and chased after him for several minutes. He eventually got away, but still one of the best experiences I've ever had with a video game.

SadisticFire

Oct 1, 2012
SajuukKhar said:
senordesol said:

That sounds really awesome, amazing and spectacular for them to encode that. But I've never EVER seen that happen. That means it's either a super rare event or really buggy event.
OT: I really do agree that a lot of the cities seem kinda dull, but Bethesda pins the blame about current gen consoles not allowing them to fill them. I don't know if that's true or not, it could be just unoptimized coding. But MY main issue is the 'essential' NPC's. Obsidian did it right, no essential NPC's. If they got killed, sucks to be you. I remember a racist nord that would pester dark elves and shout at them at night in Windhelm. Of course, my character being an elf did not like this, went up, slit his throat to not only have him still alive, but REPORT me to the guards. Seriously, the fuck? I checked him and everything too, no quests involving him according to the Wiki entry.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
I admittedly didn't stay on the " road" doing quests and often glitched my way up the side of a mountain just so I didn't have to take the long way, killed horses jumping off things, hopped down waterfalls, jumped on things randomly and made my own path. However, I also don't see a problem with travel in skyrim, I was just doing my own thing.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
SadisticFire said:
That sounds really awesome, amazing and spectacular for them to encode that. But I've never EVER seen that happen. That means it's either a super rare event or really buggy event.
I have it happen all the time......

Guy from the 80's

Mar 7, 2012
guitarsniper said:
Just Cause 2 has what I would consider the perfect travel system: A lot of the time a player (maybe it's just me, maybe not) will look at a place across the map that they need to get to, consider using fast travel to get there, and then decide not to do so. That, in my opinion, is an ideal way to set up getting around your open world: have a fast travel system, but make normal travel so fun that player end up not wanting to use your fast travel.
Uh oh Just Cause 2 was terrible in that sense. Travelling between different factions took forever and eventually ruined the game for me.

Furnacewhelp

Nov 1, 2012
SajuukKhar said:
Why have a 256 square mile world when most people dont even finish a 16 square mile world? Why make randomly generated people, that would have no dialog, when you can make NPCs have 3-4 lines of specific dialog? Why make dungeons based off of a computer's repeating pattern when hand-made dungeons are already considered too repetitious in some cases? Why bother making a system of "random" content, that no one is going to play, when you can make hand-crafted content people will?

All procedural content can ever do is lower the quality of a game to something below Skyrim's radiant quests.
Why crate a larger world? To allow for more variation and more space between repetition within the world. Instead of having 3 caves systems, 2 mines, 4 camps and 2 ruins all within a half mile of each other, you can expand the area to 1 mile and add 2 animal dens, 3 huts, a grove and 2 giant camps.

Why make NPCs with no dialog instead of NPCs with individual dialog? Because most people won't care enough about most NPCs to listen to what they have to say. It's pointless to program each NPC to live it's own individual life within the game if 99.99% of the time you aren't anywhere near the NPC.

Why make procedurally generated dungeons when hand crafted dungeons are already considered repetitious? I'll answer this one in a minute.

Why make random content no one will play? First, just because it's random doesn't mean no one will see it. And again, it allows for more variation and more space between repetition. While traveling the world, it's more fun to come across 5 different random encounters than it is to come across the same random encounter 5 times.

Procedurally generated content allows for greater variation within a game. Hand crafting every aspect of a world takes a great deal of time. In the time it would take to hand craft a single dungeon a person could instead design the assets to create 5 different procedurally generated dungeons. It also saves space within the game code. If an object takes up 25kb of space within the game's code, every time a copy of that object is placed in the game world it takes another 25kb of space. In a procedural game there only needs to be 1 copy of each object in the game's code.

Let's look at a few examples of procedural generation.
1. Minecraft's world: Minecraft's file size is only about 60mb, but the world that is created is about 9,258,235 times the size of the earth. Compare that to Skyrim's almost 6gb file size and around 16 sq mile world size. Think of how much content a game like Minecraft could have if it had a 6gb file size.

2. Diablo/Borderlands items: Diablo's items have variable stat's and abilities. In Skyrim an each normal iron dagger is the same as every other normal iron dagger. But in Diablo, 5 normal iron daggers can have different damage/durability/etc. from each of the others. Borderlands takes it further by also varying the appearance of each item. So it's possible for 2 guns to have similar stats but look completely different. With this system it's possible to create an almost limitless number of items that each have their own distinct look and feel.

3. Left 4 Dead: They used procedural generation to make each zombie look different from each of the others around it. By varying the gender, hair, face and clothes of each zombie they can make a hoard of undead filled with distinct individuals. They also use it to vary item locations and special zombies in each level making each playthrough different from the last.

4. KULT Heretic Kingdoms: I don't know if this would count as procedural generation but I thought I would throw it in just for the heck of it. While I haven't played the game myself, I heard that it has a system for dungeon re-population that varies what monsters spawn into a dungeon after a player has cleared it. So if you go through a cave the first time and face a group of goblins, rather then another group of goblins appearing when the cave respawns there could be a group of minotaurs or bears that appear instead.

5. Skyrim: Yes, Skyrim uses procedural generation for it's quest system. It's usually something like "collect X flowers for so-and-so" or "kill the bandits at (insert location)." It's a far cry from what it could be but it's a start.

If someone could take all of these and mash them together into one great big open world sandbox, I think they would have a pretty awesome game.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Furnacewhelp said:
Why crate a larger world? To allow for more variation and more space between repetition within the world. Instead of having 3 caves systems, 2 mines, 4 camps and 2 ruins all within a half mile of each other, you can expand the area to 1 mile and add 2 animal dens, 3 huts, a grove and 2 giant camps.
Procedural content does the exact opposite of that, it increases repetition, compared to a hand-crafted world, through the use of terrain/dungeon patterns. That is how procedural content works, it follows a system of patterns when designing areas/terrain in order to quickly make lots of it.

And what your asking for is "more dead space between locations", which isn't good. The more dead space you add between actual locations, the less people will want to walk it, and the more repetitive locations you make, the less people want to play it, because its stuff they have already seen before. Both large negatives of procedural content.
Furnacewhelp said:
Why make NPCs with no dialog instead of NPCs with individual dialog? Because most people won't care enough about most NPCs to listen to what they have to say. It's pointless to program each NPC to live it's own individual life within the game if 99.99% of the time you aren't anywhere near the NPC.
So what your saying is that detailed NPCs are meaningless in a RPG? I guess every RPG ever has been doing it wrong huh?
Furnacewhelp said:
Why make random content no one will play? First, just because it's random doesn't mean no one will see it. And again, it allows for more variation and more space between repetition. While traveling the world, it's more fun to come across 5 different random encounters than it is to come across the same random encounter 5 times.
^see response to first quote. Making more stuff via procedural content doesn't mean more new stuff, it just means more repeated stuff.
Furnacewhelp said:
Procedurally generated content allows for greater variation within a game. Hand crafting every aspect of a world takes a great deal of time. In the time it would take to hand craft a single dungeon a person could instead design the assets to create 5 different procedurally generated dungeons. It also saves space within the game code. If an object takes up 25kb of space within the game's code, every time a copy of that object is placed in the game world it takes another 25kb of space. In a procedural game there only needs to be 1 copy of each object in the game's code.
"saving space" in the game in exchange for quality is a poor tradeoff. Its already stupid enough that third era books wind up in Draugr dungeons, but now your asking for pretty much anything to appear anywhere just to shave off a few mbs.
Furnacewhelp said:
Let's look at a few examples of procedural generation.
1. Minecraft's world: Minecraft's file size is only about 60mb.....
2. Diablo/Borderlands items: Diablo's items have variable stat's and abilities.....
3. Left 4 Dead: They used procedural generation to make each zombie look different.....
4. KULT Heretic Kingdoms.....
5. Skyrim: Yes, Skyrim uses procedural generation for it's quest system.....
1. Mincecraft's world is also infinitely more repeating and lacking in diversity then Skyrim's world, a major step down from the current system. Its small size is nothing more then a sign of its repetitive nature.
2. Borderlands 2 gun system is also highly criticized for making 90% of its weapons entirely useless due to the randomly generated nature of said items, and Diablo's iron daggers dong different damage makes no sense, because they are all iron daggers, and would thus logically be the same. The system you would propose would allow for iron daggers to be better then elven, which is nonsensical with lore.
3. You are aware Skyrim does this already with bandits and Draugr?
4. So Draugr moving into a cave for no reason except to make the cave different the next time you play it? How does ignoring lore so that it can throw things anywhere, just for the sake of making a cave, that you have no reason to go to more then once, "different", in the event you do decide to go back there, make it a good system?
5. Actually, the only thing skyrim's system does is pick from one of a pre-made list of locations, it does nothing to alter the objectives/enemies you face. And the locations in said pre-made lists are in the list because they are all "bandit strongholds" or "animal caves" depending on the list, making the location picked consistent with all other locations that can be picked. What you are asking for is allowing a quest that tasks you to retrieve something stolen by the forsworn, to assign you to an animal cave, despite that not making any sense.
Furnacewhelp said:
If someone could take all of these and mash them together into one great big open world sandbox, I think they would have a pretty awesome game.
Actually, everything you have posted shows exactly why its NOT a good idea. It's essentially "more for the sake of more" type game design. The, IMO, worst kind of gameplay design one can ever take.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Geo Da Sponge said:
You've just repeated the last guy here, which means you might as well just re-read my post that you quoted. If you really think that I, or the person I defended, want to remove exciting things from Skyrim for the sake of realism[....]
You tell me to re-read your response (to someone else, yes, but that doesn't make it any less amusing), then you immediately misrepresent me. Huh.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
SouthernStar said:
Your comparing apples and oranges. I love'd the way skyrim did their traveling. Get a quest? Oh okay now you have to walk to this location and on the way you'll find like a 10000 things to explore.
I have to agree. The start to "A night to remember" was one of my favorite early game quests because it took me out of my Whiterun comfort zone and really sat me in the middle of a situation with plenty of intrigue and action. And I found even more as I worked my way back across Skyrim. Later in the playthrough I found myself overusing fast travel, and so I stopped using it, and I found the game gets more fun for me.

The op's example of Just Cause 2 to my taste is a bad example of open world overland travel. It is fun to get from point a to point b, but 98% of cars to steal are just slow, unresponsive, beaters. The hookshot/infinityparachute was fun but repetitive, and never really even reached the level of travel fun of Spiderman 2 or even GTA. And the distances. Too much samey boring landscape. You could be just smoking along at top speed and you still felt like you were just crawling.

God forbid you have to get across any open water. Tape down the button, you have time for a fairly lengthy bathroom break. Skyrim wasn't perfect, but travel made it more interesting to me.

Furnacewhelp

Nov 1, 2012
SajuukKhar said:
Procedural content does the exact opposite of that, it increases repetition, compared to a hand-crafted world, through the use of terrain/dungeon patterns. That is how procedural content works, it follows a system of patterns when designing areas/terrain in order to quickly make lots of it.
More variation within the pattern decreases repetition. Cave, camp, mine, ruin, cave, camp, mine, ruin is more repetitious than Cave, camp, mine, ruin, hut, giant camp, grove, animal den.

And what your asking for is "more dead space between locations", which isn't good. The more dead space you add between actual locations, the less people will want to walk it, and the more repetitive locations you make, the less people want to play it, because its stuff they have already seen before. Both large negatives of procedural content.
That's one of biggest complaints people have with Skyrim. Once you have been through a few caves they all start to feel the same. Putting space and content that is more varied between the caves cuts down on that feeling.

So what your saying is that detailed NPCs are meaningless in a RPG? I guess every RPG ever has been doing it wrong huh?
Did I say that? No, I didn't say that. There is a guy in Whiterun who's only job in the game is to chop wood. He doesn't give any quests. He doesn't give any useful information. He is pure background fluff. Giving him dialog and a daily routine is a complete waste of developer time because the vast majority of people will barely recognize that he exists. Giving the Jarl of Whiterun dialog, a background and a daily routine is perfectly acceptable.

"saving space" in the game in exchange for quality is a poor tradeoff. Its already stupid enough that third era books wind up in Draugr dungeons, but now your asking for pretty much anything to appear anywhere just to shave off a few mbs.
Wrong. Take those books for example. With procedural generation, a simple code could stop those 3rd era books from spawning in any Drauger dungeon. The fact that they show up there now is because someone put them there when hand crafting the dungeon.

1. Mincecraft's world is also infinitely more repeating and lacking in diversity then Skyrim's world, a major step down from the current system. Its small size is nothing more then a sign of its repetitive nature.
Minecraft's world is more repeating because the game is only 60mb. If it took up nearly 6gb like Skyrim does, you would probably never run into the same thing twice.

2. Borderlands 2 gun system is also highly criticized for making 90% of its weapons entirely useless due to the randomly generated nature of said items, and Diablo's iron daggers dong different damage makes no sense, because they are all iron daggers, and would thus logically be the same. The system you would propose would allow for iron daggers to be better then elven, which is nonsensical with lore.
If I go into my kitchen and look at the knives I have in there I see a lot of variation. Some have wooden handles, some have plastic. Some are serrated, some are straight edged. Some are older than others, some are duller than others. Some are large, some are small. Not every knife is created equally.

And why can't an iron dagger be better than a dagger made by elves? Is an elven blacksmith who just started an apprenticeship better than a human blacksmith who has been honing his craft for over 50 years? Just because one dagger is made with moonstone doesn't mean it's quality automatically surpasses all daggers made with iron.

Skyrim does not do this. If I go into a cave, kill the bandits inside and look at their character models, then start a new game, do the same thing and compare the character models the my other game, they will be the same. In Left 4 Dead, if I kill a zombie in a red shirt, then start a new game and go back to that same spot, there's a very good chance that the zombie with the red shirt won't be there.

4. So Draugr moving into a cave for no reason except to make the cave different the next time you play it? How does ignoring lore so that it can throw things anywhere, just for the sake of making a cave, that you have no reason to go to more then once, "different", in the event you do decide to go back there, make it a good system?
Again, proper coding can prevent things from showing up where they logically shouldn't. But if I make my way through some Dwemer ruins destroying all of the contraptions inside and have to leave some loot behind because it weighs too much, it wouldn't make much sense if I returned to find all of the contraptions working again. It wouldn't make sense to kill all of the bandits in a cave only to return later to find more bandits that look like, act like and have the same equipment as the bandits I killed before.

5. Actually, the only thing skyrim's system does is pick from one of a pre-made list of locations, it does nothing to alter the objectives/enemies you face. And the locations in said pre-made lists are in the list because they are all "bandit strongholds" or "animal caves" depending on the list, making the location picked consistent with all other locations that can be picked. What you are asking for is allowing a quest that tasks you to retrieve something stolen by the forsworn, to assign you to an animal cave, despite that not making any sense.
So it doesn't make sense that the forsworn would, having stolen something, hide in a cave from any possible pursuers?

Actually, everything you have posted shows exactly why its NOT a good idea. It's essentially "more for the sake of more" type game design. The, IMO, worst kind of gameplay design one can ever take.
Try, "more for the sake of greater variation." In any game, whether it's done in enemy design, items, locations, whatever; more variation equals more possibilities. More possibilities equals more fun. Less variation equals more repetition, more repetition equals boredom.

(EDIT: hit enter before I was done. Sorry.)

Smeatza

Dec 12, 2011
SajuukKhar said:
Incorrect, I don't recall ever seeing jungle or desert in Skyrim. Or rolling hills or giant chasms in the ground. In fact the only way that Skyrim has more variety of world is in the settlements, and even then it's only in a few ways.
SajuukKhar said:
I would debate whether it was "highly" criticised. But there's no doubt that collecting loot in Borderlands is much more exciting than doing so in Skyrim.
SajuukKhar said:
In a very limited manner.
SajuukKhar said:
In the lore the Draugr awaken in order to clean and maintain the tomb. They awake in shifts.
There is not an unlimited amount of Draugr in the tomb, if I have cleared out the tomb more than a couple of times, and defeated the boss at the end (the dude the Draugr were actually doing the cleaning for) there should be no more Draugr left. Naturally this would cause bandits or vampires etc. to move in as there was no more danger from Draugr.

SajuukKhar said:
No he's asking for more variety. Don't play willfully ignorant.
SajuukKhar said:
Well at least you wrote "IMO."

aaaaannnnnnddddd

SajuukKhar said:
Balance is important in singleplayer games also....
But single player games should be incredibly easy to balance.

SajuukKhar said:
And yeah, a 20% increase is a big deal, it takes those 20 minute jogs across Skyrim downs to 16, and over time, that adds up to hours upon hours of time saved. If you rode a horse everywhere while playing Skyrim for 200-300 hours, you would have saved 40-60 hours in traveling time, then had you just ran.
No it's not, your calculation there would require the player to be in possession of a horse at the very start of the game. It would need to stay alive throughout the entirety of the game and be usable in towns and dungeons. You also have to take into account the decreased mobility, reduced combat capability while on a horse and the amount of time you spend watching animations, getting on and off the horse.

Lets just say that the average human sprint speed in real life is 15mph. I'm pretty sure that's way faster than average but we'll leave it that way to do Skyrim a favour.
The average sprint speed of a horse is often listed as between 35mph and 40mph (with certain breeds reaching higher speeds), but the horses in Skyrim are Tamriel's version of Shire Horses, which are larger and heavier than most horse breeds, so we'll drop the figure to 25mph (seen as Shire Horses are rarely raced I couldn't find any decent reliable sources on their average speed).
In the world of Skyrim there is a 20% increase in speed from human to horse.
In the closest real world example, there is a 66% increase in speed from human to horse.
This is why horses feel so slow in Skyrim, because they are.

SajuukKhar said:
Also, making horses run faster would make them outrun the game's ability to load the next cell in time. same reason why you cant fly dragons across the whole map.
It's not the consumers fault if the developer designed the game in a way that makes part of the game boring and borderline pointless

OT: I agree with OP. Although I think the boring travel is more of a symptom of a larger problem. A lack of atmosphere or depth. Like has been said previously in the thread, Serana is the only character in the whole game, with the slightest hint of personality. The towns feel static and unchanging, the choices boil down to evil or not, if it even gives you a choice. Important plot points that are vital to the lore are reduced to one or two (maximum) lines of dialogue that never gets mentioned again.
The developers need to play some of the Deus Ex series before they release the next installment.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
I would more call it this generations problem. Because it also was made for the PS3 and the Xbox 360. Both with very limited memory resources, it was not really possible to really have a PC version that was truly filled up. Yes it is a cold area I know. And yes sometimes you see wild life but.. I feel bethesda was limited by what the consoles could handle. Even the PC version seems to be limited by certain side effects of such.

Yes the world in the end is a bit.. empty.

I know they did their best and it is a pretty awesome world but yeah.. if you go to a game like The Witcher on the PC you just see more is possible.

And well yeah there seems to be a lack of NPC's and lets be fair a BIG CITY in skyrim is kinda a joke. Really so this big city has about 7 guards and 25 people living in it. Awesome!

I agree with some here that games like Balders Gate really filled up areas. You are in a big city mate.. there is enough odd things to find.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Really? This far and nobody has mentioned the towns in Daggerfall? Sure, they're kind of empty[footnote]or rather, generic -- there's something in every last one of the buildings, and NPCs all over the place. It even has a rudimentary schedule system, in that shops will close at a given time and most people will leave the streets. Basically every new feature that wasn't a total replacement for another one (like the changes to the combat system) in all the games since have been features that were either already in Daggerfall and dropped for later games, or planned for Daggerfall but dropped because computers at the time couldn't handle it.[/footnote], but they're also absolutely massive. There are randomly generated towns in that game that are bigger than the capital cities in any of the games since, and what's amazing is they're all fully integrated into the game world, they're not instanced the way they are in Oblivion and, unless I'm wrong (never played it), Skyrim. The hand crafted, storyline cities? They're friggin' huge. You could probably fit all of Oblivion's map in the city of Daggerfall alone.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
BloatedGuppy said:
I would agree, though, that Elder Scrolls is long overdue for an engine upgrade. Perhaps that would help make mundane traveling more of a treat. While I like nosing around in the woods in those games, there's no question the Gamebryo/Creation engine is a little creaky.
The brand new engine it got for Skyrim is too old?