A Strong Second Act Can't Save Sword Art Online II

circularlogic88

Knower of Nothing
Oct 9, 2010
Mumbly said:
circularlogic88 said:
How can you say it's not forcing a harem when pretty much every girl Kirito came across in the first season looked at him with admiration and lust? His not-quite-sister even shows an unhealthy obsession with him in the second half of season 1, with heavy implications that she's been fantasizing about being with him in a romantic way. It's one step removed from brother/sister incest.
But it never gets there and it's resolved quickly. Those girls don't compete for Kirito's affections, they're not each other's romantic rivals as they would be in a typical harem anime. Hell, even Klein who was jealous of Asuna (because now his buddy Kirito will be spending more time with her than with him) gets to terms with it.
I guess that's fair enough. It just reminds me a lot of series like Index and Zero no Tsukaima where any time there's a female introduced into the show, eventually they will have some sort of intrinsic infatuation with the male main character and he appears to be oblivious to that fact. I'll admit, at this point, I'm just looking for things to complain about with this series and apologize.

Hochmeister

Jun 2, 2011
Not surprising, I'd written it off after the atrocious second half of the first season. It had an interesting premise and good action and animation, but the plot and characters just plain stunk. Good to know I'm not missing out on anything by passing up season 2.

The show where everyone loves Kirito and nothing matters.
Perhaps the best TLDR of SAO I've ever seen.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
So, basically, it's a reverse of the first season?

Because the whole 'strong female is now sex toy' rubbed me the wrong way.
I have no problem with difficult subjects and 'taboo' being explored, such as sexual assault, regardless of the medium.

But SAO has NO idea how to do it.
Asuna is sexually assaulted, almost raped, all for the MC to be more 'heroic' and the big bad to be more 'villainous'.
AND, it was done so damn POORLY.

Go look at Berserk.
While the author probably needs to see a therapist...
At least any sexual assault (flat out rape, really) that happens manages to 'mean' something as the story progresses.

AND...he's not afraid to use it everyone.
-And, I mean, EVERYONE.
-At this point I'm kind of amazed a random dog hasn't had a flashback to some horrid moment as a puppy.
--Which, is why I think he may need to see a therapist actually.

But SAO?
Author(s) don't seem to know how to do anything other than a middle of the road series that reads like they found about about 'tropes' and went to town on them.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
I'll never understand why Sword Art Online's popular. It was way too big of a buy-in for me, since they were trying so hard to make it seem like something that could feasibly happen in the real world, a world where Internet never goes down, and thus all these people don't die on accident from some kind of drop in the server. It's just too unbelievable for me. You know your show is trying too hard when .hack makes me since. Also, I hated the invincible main character. The fact that there is a second season at all doesn't surprise me, I just don't see why it needed any more in the first place.

Slegiar Dryke

Dec 10, 2013
man, so much negativity.....maybe it's because I'm more interested by the battle scenes and the overall idea of the mechanics of the Nervegear technology in the world of SAO, but the series has never come across, as so many apparently see, a "harem" type show. given also the show is adapted from graphic novels, kinda not surprised the anime would get some of the heavier scenes, but, I won't deny they maybe could have been done better *shrugs*

also I'll contest that log horizon has better intro music. sao's got more, and better ones. XP a weird rock-ish song that didn't change between seasons....vs at least 4-5 decent (imo) intros on sao.....nope XD can't see how that's worse.

lucky_sharm

Aug 27, 2009
Mumbly said:
What I do like about SAO is how it's not forcing a harem anime, and there's no "romantic rivalry" except for Lisbeth blue-screening that one time, and Sinon teasing Kirito about it. Other than that, they're all friends, and they all have their own life, and the plot isn't forced into submission by trying to balance who Kirito likes today. I mean, okay, the ladies fall for Kirito rather blatantly at times, but they seem to get over it rather quickly.

Also I like how the official couple seem to have a rather natural relationship going, and have their own lives outside it, and trust each other to make their own decisions.

So on that note at least, the series is rather refreshing.
But in SAO, no one has their own lives. Literally nothing in the story moves anywhere and none of the characters seem to exist in its world without Kirito involvement.

In fact, this is hammmered home on the very first episode of season 2, where Kirito is talking about doing technology stuff in the future, whereas Asuna's ambition is to...be with him. The problem with their relationship is that there's absolutely no chemistry, dynamic, or personal conflict that goes on between them. It's just a perfect relationship with no consequences, in fact that basically sums up SAO as a whole.

Originality

Dec 25, 2010
Reading the review and the comments... there's far more negativity than I feel the series deserves. Sure it's got a lot of flaws, but I enjoyed it (as someone who read the LN and watched the series in full). I also like Log Horizon, although that show has its flaws too. And I liked the .hack// series too, and those were full of flaws.

I don't know, maybe I'm just a lot less critical than some people and can enjoy something for what it is. Or maybe watching it as it's streamed on Crunchyroll helps (by having a week between each episode).

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
hentropy said:
I watched SAO on Adult Swim when it came out. I never watched it before because I didn't think it was a very new or interesting idea, and I could already predict some aspects and story ideas based solely on the promotional material. When I did see it on Adult Swim, it was just meh, I didn't see what others saw in the first half of the season as being so awesome and second half actually made me angry in a variety of ways.

I watched the first few episodes of the second season just to see which direction it was going in and it only disillusioned me more. It saddens me to hear that it went even more over the top and rapey with Sinon, who I thought was a pretty solid character. Maybe I'll look at the Mother's Rosario arc, but the big twist in that arc was already given to me so I'm not sure how much I'll enjoy it, considering how poorly the series deals with emotional topics. I know anime in general isn't known for its emotional subtlety, but SAO seems to be considerably worse and juvenile compared to most other dramas.
Actually it could be "just as poor" but that it doesnt offer anything of redeeming value after the fact whereas most anime tend to have other redeeming qualities.

Sordin

Aug 5, 2011
I stopped watching the first season of sword art online after it became too inconsistent to continue with. The show keeps setting up potentially interesting encounters and barriers for the main character but most are either brushed off or ignored completely, I'm pretty sure this starts even in the first episode with characters discussing how they will be able to eat and drink and whatnot in the real world,but they mention it then its never brought up again as far as I can remember. Nobody even puts forward a theory as to how anyone in the game who lives alone in the real world isn't dropping dead from thirst. There were a lot more things like this and I got increasingly frustrated with how these issues and inconsistencies were mentioned and then immediately forgotten about in favor of the main character being even more boringly OP. I admit I never finished the show so maybe they get around to addressing some of this stuff but for me it was just some fun action scenes tied together with a poorly thought out plot.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Those "remember this" moments never happened in season 1. They were part of season 2 because we never actually saw them.

It's always disappointing to read a review by someone that clearly doesn't give a shit.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
I'll definitely agree that SAO is absolutely terrible at showin sexual assault. I actually skipped the aforementioned scene with Sinon because it made me so uncomfortable (I also did the same with the scene with Asuna in SAO). Its not done respectfully at all and its really really bad.

I don't agree with most everythin else though. The Gun Gale Online arc was fantastic imo. Kirito dealin with the fact that he literally killed people is somethin I was really surprised they never outright dealt with before. Turns out its because he completely compartmentalized it to the point that he didn't think about it on purpose. Sinon dealin with her PTSD was also, imo, well done.

The end of the act, outside of the creepy creeper part, was great as well.

The mid season arc was fun, even if it was fairly pointless.

The final arc was glorious. Asuna getting to be center stage for the first time in ever? Awesome. The glorious fight scenes? Glorious. The conclusion? Sad but beautiful. Really enjoyed the entirety of that arc.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
This shows popularity truly boggles my mind, I tried watching it as it seemed like it was taking the idea but ditching Kirito. But lo and behold, turns out the dark haired girl was him in drag and I have never felt more disappointed. Yet I tried to give it a go, watched till like episode 5, but every time Kirito was adding a new girl to his harem made me violently ill.

Maybe that's why it's so popular; it's gross wish fulfilment for otaku's, inept at every part of their lives till they play games and viola, insta-pussy magnet.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
(Opinion incoming!)

Yeah, I'm glad that I threw the series at the start of Gun Gale.
It just felt that nothing was changing. It was all about Kirito and how the world revolves around him. (Most of the time at least)
Hell, I'm surprised I didn't drop SAO during the first arc, where one episode was given to another girl, and they joined the Kirito harem, until Asuna came in and stole him ... with barely any development with their relationship. So the romance is shit (Although my bar for romance is Clannad, so that might be a bit difficult to overcome). Too quick.

I have to feel sorry for the side-characters, they keep introducing them, not developing them, and ultimately throwing them to the side in favour for Kirito. It just teaches me how you don't need lots of side-characters (or you need to balance them with other side-characers. Like other male friends and their relationship with Kirito/other girls). As I see it, SAO is suppose to be a personal journey, but ultimately ruins that. Log Horizon is very world/multi-people focused, and it's doing better than okay at that.

But yes, I dropped it when we hit this part.
Sinon: "I like him ... "
All other girl characters: "We all do, but they went with the bad one.

So yes, dropped it, good, and I don't want to look back.
I have some Unlimited Blade Works to watch.

lucky_sharm

Aug 27, 2009
Originality said:
Reading the review and the comments... there's far more negativity than I feel the series deserves. Sure it's got a lot of flaws, but I enjoyed it (as someone who read the LN and watched the series in full). I also like Log Horizon, although that show has its flaws too. And I liked the .hack// series too, and those were full of flaws.

I don't know, maybe I'm just a lot less critical than some people and can enjoy something for what it is. Or maybe watching it as it's streamed on Crunchyroll helps (by having a week between each episode).
I think what you really mean is that you have lower standards, because "liking something for what it is" doesn't mean what you think it means. As a property, you can't get any more generic and uninspired than SAO.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
wooty said:
MUCH better opening music!
Ain't that the fucking truth!

I usually listen to an opening once then skip it in all future episodes. At best, I'll like it and listen to it a few times then start skipping.

Log Horizon though?

Thirty-eight or so episodes in (And many repeat viewings), and I have YET to skip the intro. That's a legit series first. No other series has managed this.

Captcha: since when.

Since never Captcha... since never.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Slegiar Dryke said:
also I'll contest that log horizon has better intro music. sao's got more, and better ones. XP a weird rock-ish song that didn't change between seasons....vs at least 4-5 decent (imo) intros on sao.....nope XD can't see how that's worse.
You're looking at it wrong...

Log Horizon's intro is so perfect, it didn't need to change.

I remember 'squee'ing when I watched the first episode of season 2 and found out they kept the same intro song.

VanQ said:
Those "remember this" moments never happened in season 1. They were part of season 2 because we never actually saw them.

It's always disappointing to read a review by someone that clearly doesn't give a shit.
You're right... and we got multiple flash backs. That's the point I think, "remember this flashback two episodes ago? If not, here it is again"

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
While i agree mostly with this review of the season... the SJW rhetoric made it really hard to stomach. "Lacks class" as if class is a measurable tangent on a skala from 1 to 10 or something... or how the reviewer forgets to mention that after sinon is "damseled" and Kirito tackles her (ex)friend he gets the shit beaten out of him and she is the one who has to rescue kirito.

That the show handled all these things with the subletey of a michael bay explosion is obvious... but leave the SJW rethoric where it belongs, on tumblr and twitter.

Besides that... it was just plain ol boring... it was the same kind of boring that for example Gundam Seed produced... you had your unfailable jesus character... and the rest where either victims or side characters. Also unnecesary second season with more over the top BS added to it.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
LifeCharacter said:
Karadalis said:
That the show handled all these things with the subletey of a michael bay explosion is obvious... but leave the SJW rethoric where it belongs, on tumblr and twitter.
Well it belongs here, because people want it here. If it's too hard for you to stomach someone reviewing how something treats its female characters or issues of sexual assault, stop reading it and go somewhere else instead of complaining that something isn't catering to your specific, exclusionary sensibilities.
Someone's a bit miffed for a thing... Dude just said a thing, no need to sound so angry over it

OT: I like the show just fine. I know it has massive flaws too. I'm not blind to any of them, they ARE flaws and I find a number of them cringe worthy. But do I still have fun? Yeah, cause I like its world, music, combat scenes, and animation. Has some funny moments too that makes me come back.

I also really liked the Gun Gale arc. I wish there was *more* of it. It was so interesting, and there's talk about it within the show saying it's not over yet. Then apparently it was and we're suddenly back at boring old Alfeim (I didn't like arc 2 as much as the first), so you can imagine my disappointment for the 4th arc. I didn't like it as much at all. It wasn't as fun, was barely exciting, and when I realized I watched the last episode I said "... that's it? Are you serious?"

Which is too bad... I liked the rest enough to be ok with the show, flaws and all (Arc 2, blegh, sometimes >.>). Now arc 4 happened and I'm suddenly luke-warm to a part of a show I enjoy.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
While I would say a lot of this series is dubious, the first arc of the season was still better than the end of the first.

And frankly, the whole episode 12 thing is almost always blown out of proportion, even if it did give me nightmares for a few days (You no doubt can guess why).

It doesn't have the implications people say it does though. In isolation maybe, but watch episode 12 and 13 together and then get back to me and say it was 'damselling' Sinon... It is in fact Kirito who gets his ass kicked at that point.

But anyway... The follow on plot is very forgettable, but "Mother's Rosario" may well be the best part of the series.

Overall, it's not a brilliant anime, but it's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. (Except for the second half of season 1. That was so unbelievably awful on so many different levels... Without out it, the series would stand as a bad, but mostly watchable series. WITH it, it looks quite awful.)

Mother's Rosario is worth seeing though. Even if it could've been condensed a bit.